Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Cycling

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Derekhenno wrote: »
    Getting new bike tomorrow morn and was going to go on spin tomorrow at some stage...what ort of distance should I look at for first cycle, fitness not great

15 or 20k for the first couple of spins.

You'll up your distance in no time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

pat25c wrote: »
    thanks thats a great help , also iam doing the galway castlebar leg of the cycle against sucide , the most ive ever riden is 23 miles & i was done in @the end , am i being a bit unrealistic ?

When did you last do that distance? jumping from 37km to 80km is a significant jump. However, if you are able to find a similar group of people who are in the same boat it will be possible. Extremely hard, but possible. You'd want to go out this weekend and next and do maybe 50km this weekend and 60-70km or so next weekend. If you could manage 60km without being absolutely spent, you can do this. Plus the energy you'll save riding in a group will help you.
    Derekhenno wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing the 1st half of that cycle and will have no training at all done! Want to support the cause more than anything, how unrealistic am I being?
    I'd say go out this weekend and see how your 20-25km spin goes. Then see if you could do 30-35km next weekend. That means next weekend you would be doing a 40-45km spin, and hopefully the energy you save drafting the people around you means you are able to complete the extra bit to get you to 50km :)

Make sure you stay hydrated guys! Around 650ml an hour seems to be the recommended number.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pat25c

i last did that distance on the 10th also when i do cycle this song keeps going through my head http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hgCqz3l33kU

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

So how is the new bike going Derek? Im thinking of getting one of those myself as i dont have a large budget at the moment... would be interested in how you are getting on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Derekhenno

Decos, bike is great, nice and light, gear change is grand, any problem with it is more due tommy bad fitness levels!! I'm glad a didn't spend any more money on it as it does me fine

• Advertisement
Advertisement