Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Cycling

Options
  • 11-04-2013 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi, I'm getting a racing bike at the weekend to try get my fitness levels up. Its a Castello Monza, has anyone any review on this bike and also any tips for a beginner,
    Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

Buy Padded shorts!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Derekhenno

Have them ordered! You a cyclist?

Only just! had my bike just over a month bought for same reason as your self wanted a new training method that was interesting rather than banging my head off the wall in a gym. loving it so far, very addictive. went out the first two rides with out padded shorts! ouch!! hence my advice :D

Thanks a million, can I ask how long a cycle did you go for at the beginning? And how often did you go out on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Derekhenno wrote: »
    Hi, I'm getting a racing bike at the weekend to try get my fitness levels up. Its a Castello Monza, has anyone any review on this bike and also any tips for a beginner,
    Cheers

#1 Join a local club . Plenty of good friendly advise availble there .

#2 Go out every week for 10 weeks . don't miss any week , you will see great difference in fitness and you will enjoy spins more .

#3 also sign up NOW for sportive's . wicklow 200 , tour de cure , cycle against suicide , sean kelly tour . mount leinster .

#4 enjoy it . it's great fun .

• Advertisement

First day i literally just went out for 30 mins on the flat to get used to clip in pedals and gears etc, takes some getting used to especially the way the gear shift up and down is opposite on either side very different to conventional bike. then second time i went out for 30km and built the km's till 60km on a sportive. i've not been having that much time lately but trying for twice a week till the nights get lighter. where about's in the country are you?

WHERE DO YOU LIVE ?

Galway

...'pedals and gears etc, takes some getting used to especially the way the gear shift up and down is opposite on either side very different to conventional bike.'

Shows how much i know, Is the smallest cog the lowest gear?

Waterford .

• Advertisement

Cheers for the advise, bit far for a spin just yet!

lowest gear is the easiest to cycle
    the lowest gear would be the small gear on the front chainset and the biggest gear on the rear cassette .

you'll get the hang of it . youtube cycle tips and you'll learn loads .

join local sportive group . about 40 euro a year but well well worth it . thats the best advise , they will help you and guide you . and rememeber get out 10 weeks in a row and you'll be super bike fit . your getting into cycling at the right time of year too . good luck mate .

Derekhenno wrote: »
    ...'pedals and gears etc, takes some getting used to especially the way the gear shift up and down is opposite on either side very different to conventional bike.'

Shows how much i know, Is the smallest cog the lowest gear?

you'll see what I mean by that when the bike comes the levers to change work opposite on either side, im not qualified enough to explain without sounding stupid! :confused:

Fair Play Figs666, wil let you know how i get on

Galway bay cycling club run a beginner group on sundays

Below are the planned routes for the coming weeks, leaving Kingfisher, NUIG @ 9:00. Two groups head off at this time, the shorter route will be 55-70km @ approx. 25kph.

JUST DO IT MAN

I'm sure I'll work it out, looking forward to getting it, planning on taking it out on saturday, if not tmoro when I get it! I want to do atleast twice a week on it, will keep u posted

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Just start small, 15km,20km,25km etc. As figs said, 2 clubs leave at the same time on Sundays. So when you feel ready, drop down to us! Joined West Coast Wheelers around a month ago and it's proberbley one of the best things I've done for my cycling. I use it as a motivation tool, everyone else has made the effort to go out, so I have to as well ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

buy a track pump and keep the tyres rock hard (~9bar) before each ride.
    bring spare tube and tyre levers and drink.
    download Strava and seek out hills

it might be a bit early in the season to worry about sock height,but you need to be aware of protocols

and dont salute anyone :)
    and enjoy it!

Thats great, thanks, give me a couple of weeks and I might just get back to you on joining up with ye

buy a track pump and keep the tyres rock hard (~9bar) before each ride.
    bring spare tube and tyre levers and drink.
    download Strava and seek out hills

it might be a bit early in the season to worry about sock height,but you need to be aware of protocols

and dont salute anyone :)
    and enjoy it!
    Roger, thanks for the advice, I read the protocols, Mother of God, sure I only wanted to go for a nice cycle, its fierce serious!! Interesting but serious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

those rules are carved in stone, we all have to obey them

I'm not saying I wouldnt obey them, there's more there though than the GAA have for hurling!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pat25c

ive just gotin into cycling as well , is there any way to stop numness in your hands i ware gloves but is it just position?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

pat25c wrote: »
    ive just gotin into cycling as well , is there any way to stop numness in your hands i ware gloves but is it just position?

I suffered from that for a while after I started. Lowering the handlebars worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Numbness in the hand is Thoracic outlet syndrome. It's caused by nerves being compressed in the neck region as they pass from the neck to the arms. Stretching around your shoulders and neck prior to getting on your bike and while on your bike should reduce this as it will increase circulation

thanks thats a great help , also iam doing the galway castlebar leg of the cycle against sucide , the most ive ever riden is 23 miles & i was done in @the end , am i being a bit unrealistic ?

thanks thats a great help , also iam doing the galway castlebar leg of the cycle against sucide , the most ive ever riden is 23 miles & i was done in @the end , am i being a bit unrealistic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Brad I agree 100%. That was driving me mad.
    I was advised to do this stretch in 3 positions. Elbows at 90deg, 150 deg and 180deg (straight up). It made a big difference in neck, shoulders, hands, upper back...and got rid of lots of numbness..

Also key is a proper bike fit. Wasnt fully convinced on it effectiveness but got one done recently in Oranmore..
    I was putting too much weight on my hands with bad position and also contributed to numbness. Now my seating position is 100% and there is 70% less weight going on my hands/handlebars...

Well worth the money... Maybe try that too...
    Brad768 wrote: »
    Numbness in the hand is Thoracic outlet syndrome. It's caused by nerves being compressed in the neck region as they pass from the neck to the arms. Stretching around your shoulders and neck prior to getting on your bike and while on your bike should reduce this as it will increase circulation

I'm thinking of doing the 1st half of that cycle and will have no training at all done! Want to support the cause more than anything, how unrealistic am I being?

• Advertisement

Getting new bike tomorrow morn and was going to go on spin tomorrow at some stage...what ort of distance should I look at for first cycle, fitness not great

Advertisement