Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WildStar

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Bump!

Is this F2P yet? Wouldn't mind playing it during the summer with some friends, but the idea of paying-to-play is just a no-no.

No F2P yet but this might interest you.
    Personally im gutted the game is more or less dead, the combat is light years ahead of anything else out there,it was a masive grind to even level up not to mention the attunements etc, real shame as it had/has huge potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I wouldnt mind giving it another go, I only got to about level 20 but quite enjoyed the zones. Reminded me a bit of BC-era WoW. Its a shame its flopped so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Dcully wrote: »
    No F2P yet but this might interest you.
    Personally im gutted the game is more or less dead, the combat is light years ahead of anything else out there,it was a masive grind to even level up not to mention the attunements etc, real shame as it had/has huge potential.

Well... that's a shame. It's imploded on itself and now is trying to mimic everything else to stay afloat. Real shame.

Game had such promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

It only had itself to blame, hardcore apparently was grind like an eastern MMO. Also rumors of the devs been OTT with customers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They screwed up the launch massively. Lets only have 1 PvP server, and leave it like that for a few days. Let's allow massive queues to build up, forcing massive fragmentation of guilds. Lets make the grind so tough, that most people don't even get to experience the excellent (but tough) dungeons.

It's a shame, definitely, but they have no one to blame but themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

yea they really did screw it up from launch, i remember them specifically letting youtubers jump the queue to get in so they could get their free pr while myself and everyone else were in crazy queue's so i would pop into the dev teams live stream and they would be acting like it was all fine and dandy, normally i expect this sort of queue for a mmo launch but the way they went on in the twitch stream really irked me the wrong way.

i enjoyed the combat but melee felt so floaty in pvp it was really a ranged game as melee it always felt like i was wondering around telegraphs while people ran around me. im sure it will go f2p which is a shame really i enjoyed it for what it was despite its flaws. was a fun game had a lot of bad decisions behind it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/wildstar-could-be-coming-to-steam-as-a-free-to-play-game/
    Cheerful MMO Wildstar could be coming to Steam, and could be free-to-play if it does. That's a lot of coulds for one news story, but that's because this information is being pulled from changes to the Steam database—as caught by SteamDB. It's unconfirmed, but certainly possible...

Wouldn't surprise me if it goes F2P, and i could be a very good thing for the game. I just hope if it's true they implement it well. A bad F2P model will kill a game just as quickly as a bad launch. The Wildstar devs can't afford both.

Really hope this does go F2P, I've been considering giving it another try lately. Its an awful shame that none of these new MMOs have properly taken off. WoW has gotten so stale over the past few expansions, looks like the MMO market is dying out badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You say that but everyone bought Warlords of Draenor. I returned after 5+ years away....I'm pretty sure I wasnt the only one.

• Advertisement

The MMO market isn't dying, it's probably stronger than ever. It's just fragmented, with people spread over a few dozen titles. No game will ever come close to Warcrafts dominance again.

Kiith wrote: »
    The MMO market isn't dying, it's probably stronger than ever. It's just fragmented, with people spread over a few dozen titles. No game will ever come close to Warcrafts dominance again.

Not following this current mould of MMO anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

Funny, I asked one of the main developers when it launched, and he was very sure they'd never go free to play.

I replied "lol"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Not following this current mould of MMO anyway.

Sadly I reckon wildstar did well financially and easily covered its development costs. Just like with AoC, ESO, STO, SWTOR and The Secret World, which were not very good MMO's at launch, had subscriptions and cash shops, later went F2P and are still around today.

Hell, when you think about it, very few MMO's have actually ever shut down. SWG and Horizons are the only ones I can think of off hand!

And it's gone ftp!

Great! Looking forward to giving this a try again, now that I'm WoW-free!

Lone Stone wrote: »
    And it's gone ftp!

Unless they fixed the game play I won't be touching it again , more fun in gw2

It's supposed to be a lot better now. I'll probably give it a try again, but i'll wait and see what the store is like. Micro transactions can make or break a F2P game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Kiith wrote: »
    It's supposed to be a lot better now. I'll probably give it a try again, but i'll wait and see what the store is like. Micro transactions can make or break a F2P game.

Seems to be a decent model. I'm surprised they are making it completely F2P without needing to buy the game initially. That should definitely help inject some life back into it.

I've never been so conflicted about a game as Wildstar. It had so much right and so much so wrong. Will definitely give it a go when F2P goes live and am excited to get back to running dungeons again as they were excellent!

I'm interested in it as F2P. I feel a bit like the harbinger of death after reviving this thread months ago with the F2P question in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'm interested in it as F2P. I feel a bit like the harbinger of death after reviving this thread months ago with the F2P question in mind.

Ha!

Every time you post, a game dies.

The writing was on the wall I think educated opinion could have seen this coming . Hopefully they will do some proper development to the game I heard they went through a **** time after loads left the game in terms of updates ect

The games makes dizzy as **** so I won't try it again but it if it didn't I would I enjoyed it but pvp and dungeons were not great

The games makes dizzy as **** so I won't try it again but it if it didn't I would I enjoyed it but pvp and dungeons were not great

Lol what ?

i think its the color's and the pov in the game gives me like vertigo or some thing :confused:

i think its the color's and the pov in the game gives me like vertigo or some thing :confused:

That is crazy lol.

And yet you stuck with it to see the dungeons and pvp? Thats dedication right there :cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

This is now on a humblebundle for anyone looking to pick it up on the cheap...pay any amount you want...great deal.

https://www.humblebundle.com/twitche3

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Playing the free trial now for a week. Seems decent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So the game is gone F2P yesterday and im keen to play my toons again but the download links dont seem to be working for me.
    I suspect a dns issue with eircom maybe?

Any else having issues?

http://wildstar.patcher.ncsoft.com/Wildstar.exe

Advertisement