Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who can't let go of other people's incidents in the past???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

kiffer wrote: »
    Pump and dump?

What if you're not into scat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

rox5 check your messages top of the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Push Pop

rox5 wrote: »
    Does anyone here find that people still seem to gossip about a certain things you did in the past, even though you have changed youself?
    I mean I ain't perfect, I did stuff during my teenage years that I really wish I can take back (due to depression and Asperger's syndrome), but I like to think at 20 years old that I am a different girl now. I just keep my head down, do my work, talk to my friends and also try to avoid the whole "shift and drift" when going out because that was something I was pretty bad for when I used to hang out with a bad influence of a friend.

But I just hate the fact that even though i have done nothing scandalous or stupid for more than a year now, people who know me from years ago still stare at me on nights out when I walk past or whisper about me or act like they don't want to know me.
    I mean it's not fair, that all I want to do is go out, have a nice time with friends, and not to have someone say very loudly "Slut!" or "Weirdo!" when I walk past, even though I did not do anything, I just want to keep to myself.

I remember even talking to some classmates of mine who used to be a bit slutty but have boyfriends now, and they agree how it's not fair because they remember how they went a bit mad with the shifting and drifting at a disco when they were younger, about three years ago, and people were STILL talking about it. I did notice how they had lunch at a quieter part of the school, I've always wondered if it was to get away from the gossipers.

I just don't get why some people still want to hold on to certain incidents you have done in the past? I mean I know plenty of people who have done worse stuff than me, but I don't really care about it. As long as it does not affect me in anyway, I don't really care if some people have a ****ed-up past, as long as they knew they had to change in some way to make themselves better.

Then again, I do live in the countryside. I'd say people hold on to gossip because there is nothing else exciting to do. In a town it feels like you can do anything and people will forget in a few weeks time.

Anyway what do you thinK?

I cannot believe someone has not said this already.
    Pics or GTFO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Ranicand wrote: »
    rox5 check your messages top of the screen.

She's not like that anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

Push Pop wrote: »
    I cannot believe someone has not said this already.
    Pics or GTFO!!

Emm, sorry?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Emm, sorry?

Did you get my private message?

Ranicand wrote: »
    Did you get my private message?

Yes I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Op there's often people like this. Mostly they're sad and have nothing better to do with themselves, constantly hold grudges and usually make their own lives a misery and anger-filled. Basically, they're fools.

Step one: Stop caring. Completely, just stop giving an utter toss. Let them live on with these immature moronic grudges while you live your own life care free.

I know it can be hard to ignore it but eventually it will fade away. Give it a few more years. I know people grown adults that I went to school with 3-4+ years ago that I didn't get along with. We might pass each other on the street once a year since then, and they still pipe up. Its hilarious actually. Kind of sad dont you think? Meanwhile I just ignore their existence because I have other things to be worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Next time one of them calls you a sl*t or a weirdo when passing you and you are alone,
    just stop dead in your tracks directly in front of them, look them up and down in the most condescending manner you can muster,
    smirk then roll your eyes and just say "How fcuking sad"
    then have a little chuckle to yourself and continue walking with your head held high.

If you are walking by with a group of friends, get your friends to laugh along with you as ye continue walking and very loudly say, "I know, you'd think they would have grown up by now? It's so fcking pathetic it's actually hilarious at this stage!"

Basically show them up for the muppets that they are and let them know that their insults don't bother you and that they are just making themselves look like immature idiots.

(This advice is given under the assumption that they are not the violent type who might assault you, if they are then it might be best to just ignore them.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Teen-like gossip still goes on at 20 (usually not much difference between your outlook at 17/18 and 20 tbh) and beyond, but it fades eventually - and more importantly, you give less of a sh1t as you get older. This will pass. You can't change other people but you can work on making yourself as content as possible.

• Advertisement

Next time one of them calls you a sl*t or a weirdo when passing you and you are alone,
    just stop dead in your tracks directly in front of them, look them up and down in the most condescending manner you can muster,
    smirk then roll your eyes and just say "How fcuking sad"
    then have a little chuckle to yourself and continue walking with your head held high.

If you are walking by with a group of friends, get your friends to laugh along with you as ye continue walking and very loudly say, "I know, you'd think they would have grown up by now? It's so fcking pathetic it's actually hilarious at this stage!"

Basically show them up for the muppets that they are and let them know that their insults don't bother you and that they are just making themselves look like immature idiots.

(This advice is given under the assumption that they are not the violent type who might assault you, if they are then it might be best to just ignore them.)

This is terrible advice and will make you look like the "immature idiot".

NothingMan wrote: »
    This is terrible advice and will make you look like the "immature idiot".

Only giving this advice because it worked great for me.
    Once I did this they didn't open their mouth to me again. Might not work for everyone.

Only giving this advice because it worked great for me.
    Once I did this they didn't open their mouth to me again. Might not work for everyone.

I'm not saying it won't work but it is a very childish way of handling things. Either say it to them outright or just keep ignoring them. Scripting a little cliche comeback to be 'overheard' is really pathetic imo.

NothingMan wrote: »
    I'm not saying it won't work but it is a very childish way of handling things. Either say it to them outright or just keep ignoring them. Scripting a little cliche comeback to be 'overheard' is really pathetic imo.

I did suggest she tell them outright that she thinks they are "fcking sad."
    I'll admit laughing along with the friends is a bit bitchy and immature in retaliation, but they are less likely to pick on her if they see that she has a group of friends who support her and if they see that even a group of people think that they are being horrible.
    They have no problem ganging up on her to shout abuse at her and laugh as she is passing so don't see much wrong with her and her friends laughing at them and calling them pathetic. But I would leave it at that then and just ignore then from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Madam_X wrote: »
    Teen-like gossip still goes on at 20 (usually not much difference between your outlook at 17/18 and 20 tbh) and beyond, but it fades eventually - and more importantly, you give less of a sh1t as you get older. This will pass. You can't change other people but you can work on making yourself as content as possible.

This is one of the only positive aspects about getting older.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Op,
    People like to talk about the negitive in other people. Sad aspect to human nature. But you are only 20. By the time you are 25 it's highly unlikely you'll still be in contact with any of them (maybe bar one or two) Our 'circles' change as we get older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Op i think to help me put things in perspective i ask myself if this will still bother me a year down the line and 99% of the time the answer is no. If the answer is yes then eh ..im afraid im not of much use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

OP I'm sixteen years older than you, and in that sixteen years I've done ten times as much dumb shìt as I did from the age of ten to twenty.

A small minority of people will gossip about other people because they have nothing better going on in their own lives, the majority however simply won't give a shìt as they're too busy getting on with their own lives to care about "what so and so did with so and so at the weekend" or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

My suggestion to you is to change how YOU react to what those people say or do. You can try to fight them, avoid them, get angry or move to another place but you will always find people who will be nasty in some way. They are not going to change so the person who needs to change is you.

Treat such people with pity rather than getting annoyed. Remember that what other people think about you is their business, not yours. You may of course have to accept responsibility for some of the things that you did in the past before people start to respect you.

solas111 wrote: »
    My suggestion to you is to change how YOU react to what those people say or do. You can try to fight them, avoid them, get angry or move to another place but you will always find people who will be nasty in some way. They are not going to change so the person who needs to change is you.

Treat such people with pity rather than getting annoyed. Remember that what other people think about you is their business, not yours. You may of course have to accept responsibility for some of the things that you did in the past before people start to respect you.

That's true. Last night I went out with my friend and saw some guys from my old school. I never really spoke to them but I knew they did not like me because I used to stare one of their friends out of it at school because I fancy him, and because of my Asperger's or depression I had no social skills at the time to know that wat I was doing was a bit annoying, weird and creepy, espcially since I was not much of a looker and had really low self-esteem.

Even though that has happened about three years and I don't feel that way anymore, they still feel they need to stare at me and move away when I am near. So last night I saw from the corner of my eye that they moved away, so I then just focused my whole attention on my friend and this guy who joined us who was telling us stories and did not glance over to see if they were still looking at me.

I am hoping that if I don't pay any attention, or care if they look at me or not (which in all honesty, I don't), then they will just stop caring themselves and move on. I think if you still focus on those type of people, they will never forget of who you are, whether it's a slut or a weirdo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

HondaSami wrote: »
    It's only kissing ffs, what do ye kids call them if there is sex involved?

Pork Dumpling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Secondary school is a funny time. Everybody is young and impressionable. When somebody acts the way you do, I'd have to admit I see girls who were like that today 15 years later and have a chuckle in my head and wonder if they are still that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

it aint everyone around you holding onto something that they can use to annoy you, its you holding onto this mentality. seriously, f'uck them all, who cares, move on, have a giggle about it, dont take it all too serious or it will get in on your head. Everyone does silly things, learning curves, dont sweat it - you're grand!

So just how did depression and aspergers land you with your reputation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

OP, you're only 20. you wont have the same friends in ten years time as you do now, or did then (apart from REAL friends who stick by you, and in this case "forget" your past mistakes)

everybody makes mistakes and does silly stuff when they are younger.

i know part of it, with your condition, might be quite accentuated in your thoughts, but really, there are MUCH worse things that people do on an average night out than a "shift and drift" or whatever.

i can guarantee that you wont be worried about this in a few years.

the thing is, to put it to the back of your own mind if it's bothering you, so that you dont pick up on the remarks of others so easily and making you paranoid.

you'll be grand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Just means french-kissing someone then moving on (drifting on) to the next person.

So basically...it means being a slut or man-whore.

The fact that you're calling people sluts on a thread about being judged for your past, simply for kissing a few people on nights out, would make me advise you to take a look at how you yourself judge people, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

That's true. Last night I went out with my friend and saw some guys from my old school. I never really spoke to them but I knew they did not like me because I used to stare one of their friends out of it at school because I fancy him, and because of my Asperger's or depression I had no social skills at the time to know that wat I was doing was a bit annoying, weird and creepy, espcially since I was not much of a looker and had really low self-esteem.

Even though that has happened about three years and I don't feel that way anymore, they still feel they need to stare at me and move away when I am near. So last night I saw from the corner of my eye that they moved away, so I then just focused my whole attention on my friend and this guy who joined us who was telling us stories and did not glance over to see if they were still looking at me.

I am hoping that if I don't pay any attention, or care if they look at me or not (which in all honesty, I don't), then they will just stop caring themselves and move on. I think if you still focus on those type of people, they will never forget of who you are, whether it's a slut or a weirdo.

You are moving in the right direction but there are a few more points that you could consider regarding your relationship with other people and what you think about yourself.

First of all, be careful about jumping to conclusions or making assumptions. You say that you knew that the guys from school did not like you but you cannot really know what other people are thinking. It may be that they do not like you or it could be that you are imagining that they don’t like you. Regardless of whether they like you or not, what other people think about you is their business, not yours. If you have done some things in the past that annoyed or hurt any of those people and if the opportunity comes up you could maybe say that you sorry for what you did. That way you would be starting off with a clean slate and you wouldn’t have to keep avoiding them.

As you travel through life you will meet many people who say or do nasty things that could hurt or irritate you. The secret to a happy life is to find a way of not reacting to such people or getting angry with them. Look on them as people who have their own problems and try to treat them with tolerance and understanding.

Accept that you may have done things in the past that you are not proud of and then try to put right anything that you can. Next, draw a line under the past and start believing in yourself and in who you are. After that, people can call you any names that they like but you won’t get angry or upset.

Advertisement