Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Look at this ridiculous help From Eircom!

Options
  • 11-04-2013 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Eircom get your act together! We need a new router!! Its been 3 years with sh*t :mad:

nfo: Welcome to our live chat service. A member of our team will help you shortly
    info: You are now connected with Liam

Adrian: Hello

Liam: Hello, you are chatting with Liam your eircom-service chat advisor, how can I help you today?

Adrian: Hi, my broadband has gone very unsteady in the last few days.

Adrian: Or should I say maybe months

Liam: Hi Adrian, sorry to hear this ok we will troubleshoot the issue now.

Liam: Have you done a full reset on the modem yet?
    Adrian: I initially had to rest\rt my router every day. Now it's got to the stage of restarting it a few times a day

Adrian: I personally think its a problem with the crappy routers yee send out

Liam: Ok do you connect to the modem via Wifi?

Adrian: Both ethernet and wifi

Liam: What colour modem have you got?

Adrian: Before we begin, I have to let you know I have a degree in IT, so you can talk as complicated as you feel

Liam: I understand that is great I will trouble shoot like I do with all customers quick and easy. What colour modem have you got?

Adrian: I've checked all possible solutions online and off line

Adrian: Can you be honest, and tell me how many people complain about this router??

Liam: I need to see what modem you have first.

Liam: Is it black or sliver?

Adrian: Nearly everyone I know that has a steady connection has changed router

Adrian: It is the zyxel one

Liam: Prefect, ok have you changed the wireless channel yet?

Adrian: I'll tell you exact name now

Adrian: zyxel p-660hw-t1 v3

Adrian: I've also updated the firmware from your site

Liam: Thank you, have you changed the wireless channel yet?

Adrian: Yes, I've tried different channels, I've turned qos on and off

Liam: What channel are you set at now?

Adrian: I've changed dns servers from eircom to google and back

Adrian: I've hard reset the router multiple times

Adrian: One sec

Adrian: 8, but as I've said, I use ethernet mainly because I game alot. Like right now on ethernet
    Adrian I'm guessing I bottleneck this router and its bad at recovering so I have to reset it after any hard usage

Adrian: Very annoying

Liam: Ok when using wireless please set at 10 2457MHz.

Liam: In regards to gaming, have you made sure your firewall is set at low.

Adrian: Ok will do, your reasoning?

Liam: This is the best channel for wifi devices and consoles.

Liam: Also have you got a cordless phone?

Adrian: Ok, I'll tell you the best channel is the channel that is farthest away
    from every other channel in use around your area

Adrian: but newho

Adrian: My connection is stabel when it has restarted

Adrian: This will last as long as I don't bottleneck the connection

Adrian: But this router does not seem to recover well from bottleneck

Adrian: Its QOS seems to be fake

Adrian: It just gives up and the connection either goes altogether or slows down rapidly

Liam: Ok and this is while you are connected via ethernet and wif?

Adrian: Both

Adrian: The light on the router stays green for dsl

Adrian: no red lights

Adrian: So I know its not the lines fault

Liam: How many phone sockets you have in the house?

Adrian: 1 phone socket

Adrian: no phone connected

Adrian: dont use phone

Liam: How are you connected to the socket?

Adrian: straight through

Adrian: no filters

Adrian: Do you supply a better router??

Adrian: I'm on the verge of going to Sky Digital, because there router is getting amazing reviews

Adrian: and the fact its €40 instead of €62

Adrian: But thats for another day

Liam: We have only the one modem here this is the one you have, I would advise filtering the line to see if it improves.

Adrian: Lol, you realise filtering blocks the frequency from a phone so that it doesn't upset the DSL connection. That would make the internet drop down altogether. Right. Have yee got Techies I can ring??

Liam: Yes we do have broadband support agents ready to help. Please call 1890 260 260 once a call connects press 0 then 1 this will take you to an agent.

Adrian: Thank you for your time

Liam: No problem, thanks for chatting with us today. Have a good day!

Liam: We value your feedback Adrian so please take a moment to fill in our closing survey and let us know how we did today. Click "End Chat" in the right hand corner and the survey will appear. Thank you for using our chat service today.

Comments

That conversation says a whole lot more about you than it does the supposed "ridiculous" support from eircom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 6 alienfrenZy

That conversation says a whole lot more about you than it does the supposed "ridiculous" support from eircom.

OH right. Lets play a bit of Sarcasta Ball. Very informative reply. You obviously are the type of monkey that Eircom employs. If your on the dole there is no reason, ring Eircom and ask for a job in their zoo. If you want a reference, I'll be happy to give you one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Tier 1 support with any broadband team is going to be crap but I agree with the first post reply you seem to come across as overly arrogant when the guy is just going through a list of most likely mandatory questions. Tech support won't be able to get you a different brand of router usually since 1) They have no control over that and 2) it's most likely the only one eircom stock for home customers.

Personally if you have any sense go out and buy yourself a decent router (I'm sure your degree in IT can help you find one, sorry but had to bring that into the post) you have all the eircom settings and I'm sure they'll guide you through any possible setting issues with login to their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Nightmare customer to have, fair play to the Eircom guy for staying so professional and courteous.

If you know that you are bottle necking the router by forcing too much data down it then upgrade it to a better one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Did you really need to be that pretentious? He's just doing his job and running through those steps is protocol. How would you like it if you worked in a restaurant as a waiter and some guy who hates the restaurant started venting his anger on you? Is it your fault the restaurant is shite? No, it's the men upstairs, not the employees.

Employees can make mistakes but Liam from Eircom was just doing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 southdublin87

Well done to Liam for keeping his cool!

Top employee!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

So a micro filter is recomended and you won't use one..in my house if I don't plug in the filter that great sky router would be just slightly better then your ****ty eircom one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

And the moral from page one of this thread OP is to tone down the discourtesy ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

LOL just LOL at the OP, well done to the eircom rep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Adrian: Before we begin, I have to let you know I have a degree in IT, so you can talk as complicated as you feel

Jesus christ, talk about condescending! The guy was only asking what colour the modem was :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

OH right. Lets play a bit of Sarcasta Ball. Very informative reply. You obviously are the type of monkey that Eircom employs. If your on the dole there is no reason, ring Eircom and ask for a job in their zoo. If you want a reference, I'll be happy to give you one. :)

IT degree or no degree is irrelevant really, you came across as a right arse in your post, granted their customer service is not what you may want, but calling them "monkeys" for following the procedures entailed in their job is beyond obnoxious, have some respect OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

You seems to come across a bit of an ass to be honest. But when he said setting it to channel to 10 was the best for gaming I actually loled out loud, talk about shooting in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭swoofer

look at the number of posts by the OP, it is april after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Fair play to Liam for keeping such a cool head - patience of a saint

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

This comment takes the biscuit for sheer arrogance...knob head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Adrian: Lol, you realise filtering blocks the frequency from a phone so that it doesn't upset the DSL connection. That would make the internet drop down altogether. Right. Have yee got Techies I can ring??
    Filters are for separating phone signals from the DSL feed AND vice versa.

Put the double filter on the phone socket and route the Zyxel through the DSL side. Also, post your line statistics with HEC / CRC errors included.

http://192.168.1.254/StatisticsGeneral.html - "DSL"

PS: You were a perfect ass to that agent who most likely was only hearing about your issue for the first time and troubleshooting the default steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

If you have an IT degree then you know that the Zycel modem is a piece of crap and that you would be far better off replacing it yourself like I did instead of trying to get Eircom to give you a freebie. Instead for the sake of forty or fifty euros you have put up with poor broadband for 3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

you did not give him alot of info to work with but sounds like you could be maxing out the NAT sessions on the modem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

A degree in IT, really?

Yeah, heard that countless times when I used to deal with ADSL line faults for a provider years ago.

9 out of 10 times the "IT expert" had it connected arse ways or didn't have something configured right,

Even had a number of them apologies to me over the years for wasting my time and that of my colleagues because they refused to follow the initial standard troubleshooting steps that eventually resolved their issue. This is exactly why you must do the basic steps.

If you want a new router then go buy one, you aren't entitled to a free router if you've completed you min contract period for the broadband package your on.

If you have a degree in IT you'll have no problems configuring a router you buy to work with Eircom. You'll also get a far far better router then what the likes of Eircom or Sky will give you for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Op, it's worth noting that even experienced customers can make simple mistakes and it's part and parcel of support to verify the basics first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Wow! Op you seriously owe that eircom rep an apology for your attitude and comments!

As for having a degree in IT, I wouldn't fancy employing you under any circumstances for any IT related work if you can't find a solution to a problem you are having yourself, especially after taking months at it!!

Only Degree you should be aiming towards is a degree of humility and common decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Well done to Liam.

Adrian, customers like you are worse than the clueless. Did your "IT degree" not teach you anything about troubleshooting an error? Did it even enter you mind to look at it from his point of view and how much information you have given him?

Im going to post this in the Eircom forum as a good example of support

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Cork981

Really made more of a show of yourself than anything.

If you are as clued in as you claim to be you would have discussed line stats and error rates.

If you don't like the modem so much you'll get a standard adsl2+ modem for around 30 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

ElNino wrote: »
    If you have an IT degree then you know that the Zycel modem is a piece of crap

^^^ after reading the first post I jumped to the 2nd page to post exactly this.

"I have a degree in IT" & "I work in IT" - the 2 phrases a tech support agent loves to hear :rolleyes:

OP - your attitude towards Liam was all wrong
    YOU may consider yourself to be "above" the person you were talking to but remember - ALL tech support agents work in IT and many of them have qualifications as well.

@Cabaal - re post #21
    I suspect we both may have spoken to the same people at some stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Show your support for Liam from Eircom on this thread: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056924874

LIAM! LIAM! LIAM!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Do you realise how much of an eejit that statement makes you sound :confused:
    I've been working in tech support over 10 years and also have a degree in Computer Science. It's people like you that make my job difficult.

As someone else pointed out, if you had the cop on you'd just buy an old Netopia from adverts.ie rather than give some guy trying to do his job abuse.
    I picked up 2 for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

jon-stewart-realization-facepalm1314029819767.png
    jon-stewart-realization-facepalm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

This thread will run, mark my words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 alienfrenZy

Let the love flow in!! Lol, feel like the ginger kid on youtube!! Boards.ie style... What will I think of next???? ;} Nah, I wasn't blaming Liam, I was blaming his training, maybe should have said that, but thought it was implied when I said Eircom and not Liam but neway. N I feel if they are giving a service and supplying a router, the router should work properly. It's amazing how yee are all BaaaaaaaaaaaHhhhhhhh Awww awww :::::::}~~~~~ Taste it ****ers!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement