Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who versus Whom?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

King Moo is the Garda who arrested Strawberry Milkshake.
    Strawberry Milkshake was the person whom Garda Moo arrested.

?

Spot on! Gold star for you!!

Now come on there, move along!!

*Strawberry Milkshake shoves hand in front of RTÉ camera on the way into court*

Should that be "is the person" or "was the person" or does it just depend on the timing of the arrest?

Ps: I like learning I do :)

In this case you could you really use both, but strictly, it's better to use "is" (present simple), because even though the action referred to is in the past, you're still that same person now.

Using "was" would suggest that you're now a different person (Strawberry Milkshake was the person Moo arrested, but now she [I'm guessing!] is someone else), but of course no-one would actually make that mistake, and your meaning would still be clear. Using the past simple form of "arrested" tells the listener/reader that the action happened in the past, so you don't need to use "was" to indicate that.

I should point out, in case people think I'm just incredibly patronising, that this is literally my day job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

King Moo is the Garda who arrested Strawberry Milkshake.
    Strawberry Milkshake was the person whom Garda Moo arrested.

?

Should that be "is the person" or "was the person" or does it just depend on the timing of the arrest?

Ps: I like learning I do :)
    Spot on! Gold star for you!!
    We need a new forum - 'Intricacies of the English language', HMod: The King of Moo.

Now come on there, move along!!

*Strawberry Milkshake shoves hand in front of RTÉ camera on the way into court*
    We need a new forum - 'Intricacies of the English language', HMod: The King of Moo.

An English language forum would be a great idea and I second Shopaholic01's motion for HMod.

But before I head to feedback, I'm off to google the words Chemical Burn used lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

An English language forum would be a great idea and I second Shopaholic01's motion for HMod.

But before I head to feedback, I'm off to google the words Chemical Burn used lol

There you go, knock yourself out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

It's like 'tip the can' all over again! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

I actually love grammar.

Kinski wrote: »
    There you go, knock yourself out.

Ooooh, just the place for my assumption/presumption confusion!

Thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I know the difference and use them appropriately
    I just always use "who". Apart from Yahoo. Then it's "hoo".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I know the difference and use them appropriately
    I actually love grammar.

• Advertisement

Ooooh, just the place for my assumption/presumption confusion!

Thank you :)

They're basically interchangeable nowadays, and there's actually a lot of debate about their respective meanings, but the most-commonly held difference is that an assumption is purely hypothetical, with no basis in evidence, whereas a presumptions is based on some evidence or pre-existing knowledge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Dear Sir/Madam if in doubt. :pac:

Suppose I'm neither a knight nor a brothel manager.

Dear Citizen? Dear human?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement