Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi: Steam Mop

Options
  • 10-04-2013 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Aldi have a steam mop from tomorrow (11/4/13), for €39.99. Just wondering if they've had these before, and if so has anyone used one. Wouldn't mind getting one but want to make sure it's not rubbish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

greyc wrote: »
    Aldi have a steam mop from tomorrow (11/4/13), for €39.99. Just wondering if they've had these before, and if so has anyone used one. Wouldn't mind getting one but want to make sure it's not rubbish.

that model in particular I cannot say, but in general I personally woudnt bother.

They are slightly easier than using really hot water, but not much. I would consider it at under €20/25 but not for €40

If you do get one then you can get pressurised hand held ones for a similar price, they are pretty decent at moving really grimy stains, especially in the bathroom between tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Cant say about aldi but we have porcelain tiles and they were a mess every few days. bought this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004J3583I on amazon and it is fantastic.... Very quick and quick to dry too.... A great buy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

we have tiles with lots of divets in them by design, ie not smooth

do these mops produce enough of a jet of steam to get into these do you think?

by using the handle and not on the hands and knees!

brightkane wrote: »
    we have tiles with lots of divets in them by design, ie not smooth

by using the handle and not on the hands and knees!

if its not pressurised then its not going to make a jet.

It will be slightly less elbow grease than using hot water.

If you want a jet steamer they can be had quite cheap (buylo in d12 off naas road had a good looking one the other week for around €30)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

I bought this Karcher SC1020 from Powercity over the weekend - it was 99.95, seems to have bumped the price to 119.95 now more line with Argos (126 something) and Amazong (£99).

I bought it thinking it would be amazing as it was (probably still is) the most popular model in Amazon. It works great over polished porcelain tiles, but it's just a bit meh otherwise. Or I am missing something, or not doing it right.

Can't see the item on Aldi site - can someone post a direct link please?

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »

Can't see the item on Aldi site - can someone post a direct link please?

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_26611.htm

I bought it thinking it would be amazing as it was (probably still is) the most popular model in Amazon. It works great over polished porcelain tiles, but it's just a bit meh otherwise. Or I am missing something, or not doing it right.

dont get these steam mops confused with a steam pressure cleaner,
    the latter are pretty freakin cool, they really help shift tough dirt.

(something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vax-Grime-Master-Handheld-Cleaner/dp/B004J3585G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365608010&sr=8-2&keywords=handheld+steam+cleaner. get a high powered one and it will get up dirt from the '60's. even if you have celtic tiger house!)

This is a steam mop, we made the mistake before and got a similar item, not a mop but close enough. while it is nice to clean stuff with it is not much more effective than a regular mop.

certainly worth using one cos they are nice and hygenic, just dont expect to be steam blasting dirt from your kitchen into space with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

This is the powercity / Karcher one that I mentioned earlier that I am not terribly impressed with.

http://powercity.ie/?par=40-53-SC1020&brands=&accessories=1

Same on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ISZDQG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p79_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0WAN4A0B3N0VN9HS4F5Z&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358549767&pf_rd_i=468294

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Good luck cleaning a decent size kitchen floor with that little hand held cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

I bought a steam mop a few years ago..found the steam good but the bloody handle crap, broke in no time, used it anyway with a broken handle...lets just say its not good for your back, might take a chance again

• Advertisement

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Good luck cleaning a decent size kitchen floor with that little hand held cleaner.

lol, its not for floors brains.
    its for removing stains or cleaning hard to get places like in between tiles, under taps, skirting boards etc.

I suppose if you wanted to try to clean a floor with it you might tie a stick to its handle, but it still wouldn't get you far, as it is quite clearly not a mop so all you would end up with would be a slightly warm damp floor.

So it's apples v oranges.

Which is the point I was making. This is a BA for a steam mop - not a steam pressure cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭styron

I've found this over the shoulder job a good halfway house between mop and spot steam cleaner - brilliant freezer defroster/deiceberger too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richards-Compact-Allergy-Cleaner/dp/B000BNGIDO

T-Maxx wrote: »
    So it's apples v oranges.

Which is the point I was making. This is a BA for a steam mop - not a steam pressure cleaner.

Hence why I was highlighting the difference between the 2. Some people (myself included) naturally assume these steam mops use a jet of steam and are disappointed when they buy one and it doesn't
    brightkane wrote: »
    It works great over polished porcelain tiles, but it's just a bit meh otherwise. Or I am missing something, or not doing it right.

This is a steam mop, we made the mistake before and got a similar item, not a mop but close enough. while it is nice to clean stuff with it is not much more effective than a regular mop.

certainly worth using one cos they are nice and hygenic, just dont expect to be steam blasting dirt from your kitchen into space with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

Went to 3 stores today none anywhere to be seen, did anyone actually get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 whatyamacallit

tried two stores in Cork and sold out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Bring back Bargain Base.

If it was 30 euro in Lidl,then 1 month later it would be 15 euro in Bargain Base.

God I miss that shop.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I take it you still have to sweep the floor before you use this :(

I take it you still have to sweep the floor before you use this :(

first world problems ;-)

Was in the Finglas store lunchtime and noticed all these were sold out there as well.

• Advertisement

ill pop into aldi longmile road after work at 6, if they are there ill post here.

you will then be able to find me in the longmile road car park selling them for €55

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Was in Galway shop at 920 SOLD OUT. And I didn't see anyone in the queue to pay with any so they can't have had many per store. DID were doing a half price one 40 from 80 but it didn't look a good as the Aldi one looked

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

Was in Grange, Togher and Carrigtwohill this morning and none to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

I don't think there were any at all

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

There were three in Donegal town and i saw them heading out the door as i was walking in at 9.07!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

• Registered Users Posts: 15 clogher77

Anyone know if you can get new mop heads for this steam mop. I brought it the last time but I found the mop heads need to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

clogher77 wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can get new mop heads for this steam mop. I brought it the last time but I found the mop heads need to be replaced.

Which mop?

Would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 clogher77

youngblood wrote: »
    Which mop?

Would you recommend?

Yes - cheap one in link above. I love it. But mop covers have disintegrated .
    That is the cloth cover that contacts the floor. You get 2 with the mop. You have to wash after use obviously. Mine have holes in them now. Mop working great but I need new covers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Aldi and Lidl appliances are often rebadged brand names, Google might tell you which one and you can then buy that supplier's spares. Failing that, I have used old tea towels, cut to size and held on with a strong rubber band, on my Vax steam mop, does the job.

Advertisement