Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A dog on the DART?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This all reminds me of the numerous restaurants in Germany where dogs are allowed (infact to find them disallowed is rare). The owners go up to the tills and ask for a doggybowl full of water.

Mind you, they keep dogs properly in Germany, and don't allow them to wander out on the country roads getting in the way of cars like they do here. Honestly, I don't know why some people here get pets, they just allow them to roam randomly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I think CIE's rules are probably completely arbitrary in genesis, but since changing them would probably draw scrutiny from all manner of interest groups not to mention the Equality Authority it's probably best to leave sleeping dogs, er... I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Once pet dogs are allowed, you're allowing all kinds. Irresponsible owners aren't going to care about any kind of tests that you bring in, and there's going to be no enforcement of it anyway.

Getting clothes covered in dog hair, isn't going to go down very well with the travelling public either.

It's easily enforced if you do it the same way the student tickets are enforced. You bring your CGC Cert to the ticket office to get a pet pass the same way you bring your student ID for a student pass.

Well if dog hair is the worst of their worries...
    People in the UK seem to have gotten over it as well (ref: dogsontrains.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

It's easily enforced if you do it the same way the student tickets are enforced. You bring your CGC Cert to the ticket office to get a pet pass the same way you bring your student ID for a student pass.
    I can't see IE staff trying to restrain someone for not having a pass for their dog, or the Gardaí ever going to a station to deal with it if the owner is uncooperative.
    Well if dog hair is the worst of their worries...
    People in the UK seem to have gotten over it as well (ref: dogsontrains.com)
    Dog hair is a serious worry if you're allergic to it. And if your not cleaning it off you're clothes gets annoying. I've nothing against dogs, it's the overall standard of their owners that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

I can't see IE staff trying to restrain someone for not having a pass for their dog, or the Gardaí ever going to a station to deal with it if the owner is uncooperative.

I don't understand why not. Do you think they'll find them more intimidating if they have a dog? That probably sounds more argumentative than it's meant to, apologies, but I can't see how it's any different to enforcing anyone having any ticket and I'm curious as to why you think it would be.
    Dog hair is a serious worry if you're allergic to it. And if your not cleaning it off you're clothes gets annoying. I've nothing against dogs, it's the overall standard of their owners that's the problem.

Of course, as is peanuts, rubber (my housemate breaks out in horrendously painful welts when she comes into contact), certain washing powders and a multitude of other things that are allowed on the train/DART but we focus on dog hair?

As you say yourself affected commuters will probably come into contact with dog hair from dog owners who don't clean their clothes of dog hair anyway.

I know it's probably a huge leap of faith in common courtesy, but I would hope that generally if dog owners became aware that there was a passenger with dog allergies near by they would kindly move to the next carriage...

Off topic but my local vet is allergic to certain types dog hair! She's an amazing woman.

• Advertisement
Advertisement