Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Player Allegedly Bitten *Mod Note Post 225*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭Justin10

JuanJose wrote: »
    If Donegal wish to carry the allegation to its logical conclusion, surely they should name the culprit at this stage. Otherwise this is just going to go around in circles.

If there even is a culprit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nippledragon

Dublin were obviously the hungrier team....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Are we not allowed to name the accused? Seems to be public knowledge at this stage.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    It seems very unlikely that Donegal have made this up.

Lets be honest, it wouldn't be the first time a team made up/embellished something negative out of anger.

In saying that this particular player is supposed to have prior in this exact thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Rochey18 wrote: »
    If there even is a culprit.

That's exactly my point. I dunno, beginning to get the feeling this story would have accelerated by now (if only just by the media smelling a story) if there was a concrete case of something having actually happened last Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

Remember that Donegal have previous for faking injuries to get Dublin players sent off. So one of their players has a bruise on his shoulder (changes from bruise to laceration to graze from report to report) and claims an unknown Dublin player bit him? Did anyone witness this - officials / players / supporters. Where's the medical evidence of a bite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Orizio wrote: »
    Are we not allowed to name the accused? Seems to be public knowledge at this stage.

Lets be honest, it wouldn't be the first time a team made up/embellished something negative out of anger.

In saying that this particular player is supposed to have prior in this exact thing.

Does he? Can't find anything on it. Great if he did, only makes themselves look worse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've renamed the thread as the lack of capitals was driving my OCD crazy, also put in "Allegedly" as there hasn't been anything proven yet.

I've also cleared up some posts which make sweep generalisations about Dublin.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

If it's a bite then there should be serious consequences for the player involved in delivering it.

Just something to note i heard it was grazing , consistent with teeth marks.

There is the possibility of this being accidental, I accidentally received marks on the back of my head head from teeth during games, and once or twice had a head accidentally smacked into
    my teeth.

This could be accidental. It should be put to bed, find the person, get someone neutral to examine the marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

keane2097 wrote: »
    It seems very unlikely that Donegal have made this up.

To take the limelight off the fact they were relegated.

Sports Psychology at its best!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Not a bad piece on the current backdrop and in some cases the rationale behind it
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/black-arts-a-product-of-winatallcosts-29185781.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Remember that Donegal have previous for faking injuries to get Dublin players sent off. So one of their players has a bruise on his shoulder (changes from bruise to laceration to graze from report to report) and claims an unknown Dublin player bit him? Did anyone witness this - officials / players / supporters. Where's the medical evidence of a bite?

Did Karl Lacey fake the knee injury when he was deliberately taken out of the game by Dublin in the AI semi in 2011????

sgarvan wrote: »

Sports Physiology at its best!

Rumour has it they got the idea from O'Dwyers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

sgarvan wrote: »

Sports Physiology at its best!
    I think you will find that this has nothing to do with "physiology".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I think you will find that this has nothing to do with "physiology".

That would be correct!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Paracore wrote: »
    Did Karl Lacey fake the knee injury when he was deliberately taken out of the game by Dublin in the AI semi in 2011????
    Even if this was the case its got nothing to do with the incident he was talking about, two wrongs don't make a right, hopefully this will be addressed ASAP, I can't see how you would not know who bit you, so this should be addressed either way before a ball is kicked at the weekend.

Stoner wrote: »
    Even if this was the case its got nothing to do with the incident he was talking about, two wrongs don't make a right, hopefully this will be addressed ASAP, I can't see how you would not know who bit you, so this should be addressed either way before a ball is kicked at the weekend.

My thoughts exactly .. I'd understand if it was a 10 man pile up like the rugby, but having been on the receiving end of treatment myself much like many others here... you always got their number or face

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭RMDrive

DoctaDee wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly .. I'd understand if it was a 10 man pile up like the rugby, but having been on the receiving end of treatment myself much like many others here... you always got their number or face

Where are people getting the idea that Paddy doesn't know who bit him?

RMDrive wrote: »
    Where are people getting the idea that Paddy doesn't know who bit him?

The point being made is that if he did know then he should name the alleged culprit. It's not enough to make a flaky allegation then retreat back into yer shell. At least with a player in mind they could review footage of the interaction between the 2 players and determine whether there's a case to be answered.

By the way if the player's guilty I for one don't want him in a Dublin shirt for the rest of the year - there's a panel of lads bursting their bangers to represent our team

The point being made is that if he did know then he should name the alleged culprit. It's not enough to make a flaky allegation then retreat back into yer shell. At least with a player in mind they could review footage of the interaction between the 2 players and determine whether there's a case to be answered.

By the way if the player's guilty I for one don't want him in a Dublin shirt for the rest of the year - there's a panel of lads bursting their bangers to represent our team

Why should he name him? To keep a few keyboard warriors happy? The incident has been reported through the correct channels and now sits with the CCCC. Paddy and the Donegal setup have dealt with it very well IMO. The people who may decide to review footage know everything they need to know.

RMDrive wrote: »
    Why should he name him? To keep a few keyboard warriors happy? The incident has been reported through the correct channels and now sits with the CCCC. Paddy and the Donegal setup have dealt with it very well IMO. The people who may decide to review footage know everything they need to know.

Name him in the official complaint from Donegal CB not in the public domain for the privilege of us keyboard warriors.

• Advertisement

Name him in the official complaint from Donegal CB not in the public domain for the privilege of us keyboard warriors.

What makes you think that the person involved wasn't named in the report to the ref?

Conversely what makes you think there was ? ... any newspaper reporting on the issue seems to be vague at best beyond the fact of the alleged bite, and the photos taken as evidence of same

Conversely what makes you think there was ? ... any newspaper reporting on the issue seems to be vague at best beyond the fact of the alleged bite, and the photos taken as evidence of same

Ah I see, you are engaging in idle speculation. Reporting on the issue is vague? As I said, DL have handled this well. No big media storm, just the facts reported to the right person i.e. the ref.
    Realistically, how could Paddy not know who bit him? It's a crazy angle you are trying to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I heard the CCCC reverted to Donegal saying they need further information to support their claim. But McBrearty thinks there is being too much made of the incident and wants it dropped. Be interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

If there was a bite a lengthy ban should follow. Who leaked it to the media? The Donegal County Board or someone else??

Something fishy going on here I reckon.
    So Mcbrearty thinks he was bitten. But is calm enough, in the heat of a game to simply take it on the chin and wait until half time to report it. To not react in anyway seems very strange the more I think of it. Even the most shy and quietest of lads would find that difficult.

I've said already if he was bit the culprit should be handed a hefty ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Slattsy wrote: »
    Something fishy going on here I reckon.
    So Mcbrearty thinks he was bitten. But is calm enough, in the heat of a game to simply take it on the chin and wait until half time to report it. To not react in anyway seems very strange the more I think of it. Even the most shy and quietest of lads would find that difficult.

I've said already if he was bit the culprit should be handed a hefty ban.

So because the victim didnt react and lower himself to the perpetrators level, it didn't happen?? That is a bizzare view to take on it, what exactly would the player, the management, the county board and the medical personell all have to gain by making up such a claim??

["premierstone;84081656"]So because the victim didnt react and lower himself to the perpetrators level, it didn't happen?? That is a bizzare view to take on it, what exactly would the player, the management, the county board and the medical personell all have to gain by making up such a claim??[/quote]

I never said it didn't happen. I'm just saying that from someone that has played physical sports, I do find it odd that he didn't react. I've seen Mcbrearty in action, he can throw a dig as well as anyone.

To answer your question :

It takes the emphasis away from their poor league form and relegation. Which it has done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

But if they were following the correct process, and keeping it internal, as you yourself suggested they should then wouldn't it be the case anyway that the journalists wouldn't be kept in the loop?

Newspapers are hardly about to start saying it was such and such a player without knowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

It overall seems a non-story at this stage.

Donegal will be concerned that their counter attack is a little flaky without Lacey on the pitch. I still think we've been blinded by the constant Donegal "System" articles that are online or in papers to the fact that it's highly dependent on three players
    1. Karl Lacey
    2. Michael Murphy
    3. Colm McFadden
    Mark McHugh was attempted to be thrown into the mix as being such a calibre of player yet it simply wasn't the case. They were reasonably comfortable to win the final with McHugh playing average enough. Good player, but not vital.
    Hope they get Lacey back as I think he's a player you can point to to show people what great foot passing is all about. Particularly in last years championship.

Advertisement