Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei Y300- NOW Available in Metor

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ranger2k11

I bought this phone over the weekend. I really like the look and feel of it. Jellybean seems very handy on it.

The one thing I will say, is in relation to Huawei Emotion UI. I have installed a Play Store UI enhancement called Nova Launcher. It works, but seems kind of buggy on this phone. I've used it on Samsung models before this and it seemed far more sure of itself.

If I download an app from the Play Store, it brings up notifications of a full home screen, referencing the Emotion UI homescreen, even though i'm not using it anymore. The Gallery has crashed a few times too. Just little bugs so far, but i'm looking to root the phone. I've emailed Huawei for the unlock code and they replied promptly enough. Just need to do some research as to what custom firmware to install.

Any tips welcome! If you have any questions about the phone, ask away!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Still looking for a place to unlock mine so I can switch to 3

Also anyone know how to enable this phone as a dongle type modem for PC use
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

?

Unlock it on Ebay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭mondeo

I bought this Huawei y300 phone the other day actually. It really is great value for money. The screen is very decent and and clear as a bell. Even with 512mb of ram jellybean is running snappy. No problems with anything really other then a slight slow down if your multitasking too many things. For example using viber aswell as listening to music and browsing. Its tolerable though. Google maps and navigation are flawless. There is even a led notification light and ambient light sensor. For €99 you can't go wrong with it. Spec V price there is nothing that can match it. Its even got a dual core processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I'm loving mine battery with everything will only last a day and a half at best.

Nav and Bluetooth as said above are flawless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

?

Modaco approved Unlock thread for y300:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/362050-modaco-approved-huawei-unlock-codes-request-here-375/

This would be my preferred choice....

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gymnipities

Modaco approved Unlock thread for y300:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/362050-modaco-approved-huawei-unlock-codes-request-here-375/

This would be my preferred choice....

I tried them for a Meteor Y300 and they couldn't provide an unlock code for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MbFum

Some people claims they successfuly unlocked their phones using following site but didn't try myself.

http://www.spunlock.com/huawei-unlock/huawei-ascend_y300-unlock-codes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

MbFum wrote: »
    Some people claims they successfuly unlocked their phones using following site but didn't try myself.

http://www.spunlock.com/huawei-unlock/huawei-ascend_y300-unlock-codes.html

FYI

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86286371&postcount=12

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Picked one of these up today and it seems like a solid little phone. I'm fortunate to have an S4 for work and bought it to replace a HTC One V as my personal phone. That was my second and sadly last HTC phone. They are great pieces of kit but seem to just stop working properly. I had a Hero on which the screen went mental and with the One V the capacitive buttons stopped working- a known fault.

So I've only had the Y300 a few hours but call quality is better than the S4. The interface is not as odd as some reviews have alluded too although I can't seem to remove apps from their respective screens as it seems to think I want to delete the app.
    It's speedy, screen quality is good and it feels quite solid in the hand. Providing nothing fecks up this looks like being an excellent budget smartphone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

Picked one of these up today and it seems like a solid little phone. I'm fortunate to have an S4 for work and bought it to replace a HTC One V as my personal phone. That was my second and sadly last HTC phone. They are great pieces of kit but seem to just stop working properly. I had a Hero on which the screen went mental and with the One V the capacitive buttons stopped working- a known fault.

So I've only had the Y300 a few hours but call quality is better than the S4. The interface is not as odd as some reviews have alluded too although I can't seem to remove apps from their respective screens as it seems to think I want to delete the app.
    It's speedy, screen quality is good and it feels quite solid in the hand. Providing nothing fecks up this looks like being an excellent budget smartphone.

One thing to watch out for is the speaker: I've had a problem recently with people unable to hear me typically 9 to 10 mins into a call and I have to turn the Loudspeaker on and off in order for them to hear me again. The thing is I can hear them perfectly. It only applies to phone calls: skype and viber aren't a problem with it. It's not a huge thing (unless its an emergency for directions or something) but something to be aware of nonetheless.

Edit: They're also gone down to €80 on Meteor. They're a bargain at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

One thing to watch out for is the speaker: I've had a problem recently with people unable to hear me typically 9 to 10 mins into a call and I have to turn the Loudspeaker on and off in order for them to hear me again. The thing is I can hear them perfectly. It only applies to phone calls: skype and viber aren't a problem with it. It's not a huge thing (unless its an emergency for directions or something) but something to be aware of nonetheless.

Edit: They're also gone down to €80 on Meteor. They're a bargain at that price.

That would drive me nuts! I must see if I can test that tomorrow. If it happens it'll be straight back to Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

80€ is a great price, older model was 150€ 9 months ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Hi guys I'm wondering if you can help me out. I purchased this phone from Amazon.co.uk for a work colleague and the seller was in China and it took over a month to get here, but that's another story for another day.
    Anyway the problem is there is no playstore icon and when I access the playstore through the browser it says no device recognized.
    There is two app stores on the device, one called app Centre and the other wostore, the app centre is useless and while the wostore has most apps all the menus and tags are in Chinese.
    Is there any way I can get the playstore app on the phone for him because the whole process has been such a nightmare I couldn't make him go through sending it back to China.
    And before anyone suggests it, I'm a small bit tech minded but don't have a clue about flashing custom roms or bootloaders or anything like that.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Do a search on modaco.com for details on unlocking the bootloader, and flashing a ROM. I've not massively Tech minded but have modded g300 and g510 in the last week following the instructions on that site with no problems.

I've just unlocked the bootloader and I now have SuperSU on my phone. When I hold volume Up and Power I go into twrp version 2.5 (I think). Is flashing simply downloading the firmware (in my case I'm looking at B196) to my sdcard and opening it in twrp to replace the awful emotion UI with plain old google stock android?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

What ROM are you talking about?
    Post a link to it.
    It should come with instructions.
    If it's a CWM/TWRP recovery zip then you copy it to your sdcard and then select it for installation in the custom recovery.

Hey TM, I tried replying last night but typing this response on a phone was painful.

There is a B194 rom on Modaco here that I am interested in as he claims its stock android (call it the nexus experience I suppose). My question is with SuperSU installed on my phone, do I simply have to download the rom (600 mb+ o_0) and move it to my sd card, reboot the phone with volume + and power button held for 10 seconds and then open the rom with TWRP, which will install stock android on my phone in place of the emotion UI? Also, yer man has a zip file underneath it that says it removes the su binary? Any idea what that is about and does it have to be done before or after I download the ROM?

A few posts down in that thread a guy posts about master key exploits: Any idea what that refers to?

I have most of my stuff backed up but I've read horror stories about people forgetting to back up the emotion UI so when they try to factory reset back to the start they are unable to: how do I do that?

Not a techie at all so forgive all of the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Bargain alert on these phones !

Carphone Warehouse have them on sale for €49.99

Just picked one up, probably the best €50 I've spent this christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Bargain alert on these phones !

Carphone Warehouse have them on sale for €49.99

Just picked one up, probably the best €50 I've spent this christmas

I guess its a slightly better buy than the vodafone 40€ smart phone which is single core?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Shazamm

Has anybody had any problems with the mic turning off during calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Shazamm wrote: »

I did on G510, ended up unlocking the bootloader, and installing a new ROM to fix the issue.

Shazamm wrote: »
    Yes.
    I guess its a slightly better buy than the vodafone 40€ smart phone which is single core?
    Yes to this also.

The mic keeps dropping during my calls and I've highlighted the issue in past posts. I have unlocked the bootloader but haven't installed a new rom yet, but if it will fix the problem then I'm happy to do so. When I get a new phone - I don't want to run the risk of bricking my only Droid.

Saying that, I would still strongly recommend this to anyone looking to get a decent smartphone on the cheap, especially if it is their first or for a younger person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I'm having that problem with the mic turning off, too. Wasn't planning to root this phone but may have to, from what you're saying. Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent (stable) rom for it? I started browsing around on xda-developers but felt out of my depth within about 10 minutes! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

Would this phone be much of a noticeable improvement over the G300?

Advertisement