Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

jiminho wrote: »
    Quick qs tho. I'm a civil engineer, is there anything stopping me from designing, certifying and subcontracting my one off home? Certifying is the tricky part I guess but do these three items need to be completed by a third party? What's stopping me from getting certified in the different denominations like a BER assessor.

Interesting - a BER assessor would be barred by the SEAI Code of Practice from issuing a BER cert on their own home and morally too so should you ( sorry not what you wish to hear - I wouldn't :) ).

But I cannot see anything in SI 9 that would stop you doing the cetifying

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

Woho, this thread has come along the last month. I've tbh only really flicked thru the regulations and my first thought of them is that they aren't very definitive and almost seem like a work in progress.

Quick qs tho. I'm a civil engineer, is there anything stopping me from designing, certifying and subcontracting my one off home? Certifying is the tricky part I guess but do these three items need to be completed by a third party? What's stopping me from getting certified in the different denominations like a BER assessor. I see the big one and that is to hire a competent builder (with at least 3 years experience). My goal in life has always been to build my own home with me being heavily involved in the process, i.e being contractor and PM, buying own materials, etc. These regulations seem to suck the fun out of it. Is there any leeway for certain professions? I mean I do this for a living after all.

If you are a chartered engineer there is nothing in SI 9 or the Code of Practise AFAIK to stop you from nominating yourself as Design Certifier and Assigned Certifier. You will however, have to appoint a competent builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Hairy mellon

shane6977 wrote: »
    If you are a chartered engineer there is nothing in SI 9 or the Code of Practise AFAIK to stop you from nominating yourself as Design Certifier and Assigned Certifier. You will however, have to appoint a competent builder.

+1

recent minister's statement in dail confirms this

Political Q+A: Mister Hogan suggests Builder separate appointment: BC(A)R SI.9 | BRegs Blog
    http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014/02/25/political-qa-mister-hogan-suggests-builder-is-now-owner-bcar-si-9/

Well it does clarify the matter. Not in the way a self builder would wish granted but no doubt remains at least.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,015 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just to amplify what hairy mellon says above

straight from the horses mouth... so to speak....
    phil hogan wrote:
    The owner will be responsible for ensuring that they appoint a competent builder – a register of builders, contractors and tradespersons known as the Construction Industry Register Ireland (CIRI) will be established on a voluntary basis for this purpose on or before 1 March 2014 and placed on a statutory footing by 2015 – and that they employ a competent registered professional to undertake the roles of designer and assigned certifier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jiminho

Thank you Hairy Lemon for that. So could i go to my Local Council with the following:

Foundation contractor: Foundation Ltd.
    Blockwork contractor: Blockwork Ltd.
    Electrical contractor: Electrical Ltd.
    etc..

So i may not have a "General" contractor/builder but the above are all reputable and have the 3 years experience required. Is the one liner presented in the regulations all encompassing, in that Joe Blogs the owner can design it but all construction responsibilities have to be handed over to the builder in a similar style to the American/Canadian development lots/estates?

No . You have to appoint a competent builder. Singular.

Thank you Hairy Lemon for that. So could i go to my Local Council with the following:

Foundation contractor: Foundation Ltd.
    Blockwork contractor: Blockwork Ltd.
    Electrical contractor: Electrical Ltd.
    etc..

So i may not have a "General" contractor/builder but the above are all reputable and have the 3 years experience required. Is the one liner presented in the regulations all encompassing, in that Joe Blogs the owner can design it but all construction responsibilities have to be handed over to the builder in a similar style to the American/Canadian development lots/estates?

joe bloggs the owner CANNOT design compliance with building regs.

Joe bloggs owner MUST engage a competent builder to undertake the responsibilities and sign certification.

Once said builder is happy to let Joe Bloggs owner project manage the build... so be it.

4Sticks wrote: »
    No . You have to appoint a competent builder. Singular.

So for people like myself who wanted to sub-contract out the work, buy own materials etc. now face more than the 10% increase being suggested and more like up to 30% when general contractor and material mark-up come into play. That's a bit depressing.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    joe bloggs the owner CANNOT design compliance with building regs.

Joe bloggs owner MUST engage a competent builder to undertake the responsibilities and sign certification.

Once said builder is happy to let Joe Bloggs owner project manage the build... so be it.

Well i meant Joe "Engineer" Bloggs. Are we still bound by the same restrictions?

• Advertisement

So for people like myself who wanted to sub-contract out the work, buy own materials etc. now face more than the 10% increase being suggested and more like up to 30% when general contractor and material mark-up come into play. That's a bit depressing.

We have local elections this May.
    Don't get depressed.
    Get evil.

Woho, this thread has come along the last month. I've tbh only really flicked thru

Please do more than flick through before posting any more queries. Out of courtesy to others.

4Sticks wrote: »
    We have local elections this May.
    Don't get depressed.
    Get evil.

98 days to local elections tic toc

This whole issue only kicks off on 1st march

Watch the wheels come off

Riai cpd reckon 95% architects mot ready for si9

75% expect significant disruption

Let the implementation fun begin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Anybody hear the guy on Joe Duffy today, couldn't listen to it properly, but he seemed to be saying that the Dept.(that's the bit I'm unsure of, it it was the dept he was talking to.) told him to appoint himself as builder?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They are by their very nature sub contractors. You need to appoint a parent contractor who is responsible for the collection of these sub contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭mandy gall

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Anybody hear the guy on Joe Duffy today, couldn't listen to it properly, but he seemed to be saying that the Dept.(that's the bit I'm unsure of, it it was the dept he was talking to.) told him to appoint himself as builder?

Yes he was given more misinformation! More on rte this week coming

Wish i was living in Ireland to listen to some of these radio conversations, sound very interesting. I may sound kinda liberal but it should be our rite to build our own home. Most self build homes i can imagine are above standard. I can understand certifications and compliance's, we all want to be safe and for our homes to last forever but why not just submit your drawings to a certifier at pre-construction stage, make any necessary changes, and then get the certifier to come out post-construction to make sure everything's ok, and if not, it's the owners responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭mandy gall

Wish i was living in Ireland to listen to some of these radio conversations, sound very interesting. I may sound kinda liberal but it should be our rite to build our own home. Most self build homes i can imagine are above standard. I can understand certifications and compliance's, we all want to be safe and for our homes to last forever but why not just submit your drawings to a certifier at pre-construction stage, make any necessary changes, and then get the certifier to come out post-construction to make sure everything's ok, and if not, it's the owners responsibility.

Available on rte radio website joe duffy show podcast. You are on the button - it is a right to build whether its a self build or contractor route - no government can stop this.

The department is contradicting itself and si9

The completion cert for the builder states "must be signed by a principal or director of a building firm"

In addition minister hogan has recently done a 180degree uturn on this and now is stating a separate builder must be appointed

Keynote speaker at riai cpd on monday (500 present) stated self building mo longermpossible after 1st march

Read code of practice is very clear. Separate appointment of competent builder. No mention of owner doing role.

Joe duffy asked "will department go down to high court with you?" to caller

In uk last week incentives were introduced for self builders....lol

• Advertisement

minister hogan:

Political Q+A: Mister Hogan suggests Builder separate appointment: BC(A)R SI.9 | BRegs Blog
    http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014/02/25/political-qa-mister-hogan-suggests-builder-is-now-owner-bcar-si-9/

also self builders complain to europe:

Self-Builders escalate to Europe: BC(A)R SI.9 | BRegs Blog
    http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014/02/25/self-builders-escalate-to-europe-bcar-si-9/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Well i meant Joe "Engineer" Bloggs. Are we still bound by the same restrictions?

take a break to gather your thoughts

BryanF wrote: »
    take a break to gather your thoughts

Well should we?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I haven't read the entire so apologies if I am going over old ground but I had a few people say to me that self builds can't be done any more and I'm lucky I completed my last year. However from reading http://localgov.ie/en/link-type/bcms it states that
    12. Can I build my own house myself or by direct labour?
    Yes. You may appoint yourself as the builder and sign the Certificate of compliance (Undertaking by Builder). As the builder, you are responsible for compliance with the Building Regulations. You must sign the Certificate of Compliance on Completion and you must also appoint an Assigned Certifier to inspect the works during construction.

Thats very clear to me and self builds can continue as usual?

Villain wrote: »
    I haven't read the entire so apologies if I am going over old ground but

Thanks for clearing that up for us all.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I haven't read the entire so apologies if I am going over old ground but I had a few people say to me that self builds can't be done any more and I'm lucky I completed my last year. However from reading http://localgov.ie/en/link-type/bcms it states that

Yeah...but...no. That is misinformation.

You can't believe everything the Government tells you! :rolleyes:

Shambles and pharce is all I can say!

Did you read the rest of that paragraph? ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Did you read the rest of that paragraph? ??

I did and I took it as either or scenario?

Are people saying the localgov interpretation is incorrect?

I did and I took it as either or scenario?

Are people saying the localgov interpretation is incorrect?

There is misinformation and contradictions all over the place.

Typical Irish legislatIon.

The doe tells people to disregard the wording and fire ahead as normal. ..... what a great shower they are altogether.

• Advertisement

Localgov.ie is now offline....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement