Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

4Sticks wrote: »

Yes. And one could renovate much larger existing areas too. Another flaw in the regs imo . There is plenty of scope to undertake significant works here which ought to be included in the scope of the regulations.

??

• Subscribers Posts: 41,137 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

newbie2013 wrote: »
    ??

You could completely gut a huge dwelling and renovate from ground up and not be subject to these regulations. it could be a project and budget well in advance of a standard new build.

i think thats what 4sticks may have been referring to.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

Chisler2 wrote: »
    If any other occupational group - for example the farmers, the teachers - was being hobbled and hamstrung by proposed new government legislation there would be organised, high-profile protest. Where is the opposition? Surely the building industry has the benefit of closely-interwoven networks of trades?

I can only speak for the scsi which is generally the most useless representative body around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭cosatron

kkelliher wrote: »
    I can only speak for the scsi which is generally the most useless representative body around.

Are the SCSI any good at all. Thinking off joining with an APC in building control. I'm an AT so I was hoping to use the SCSI as my route to certifying

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

cosatron wrote: »
    Are the SCSI any good at all. Thinking off joining with an APC in building control. I'm an AT so I was hoping to use the SCSI as my route to certifying

Depends what you want it for, as a means to an end then why not but they do little or nothing in promotion of or representation of the profession

• Advertisement

7 weeks to go and:

(a) final wording of the actual amendment not finalised yet
    (b) final wording of certificates not agreed
    (c) no register of builders set up by CIF yet
    (d) final wording of code of practise not finalised
    (e) no Local Authority has a system set up yet to receive digital document submission

what a disaster of a piece of legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

111407_train.jpg

Its already affecting real time projects... and the closer we get to march the more projects will be on hold.

No one knows how to price for these jobs, no one knows how to even word a tender package properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Anyone who maybe so kind as to post here if PI cover has been made available at reasonable cost to cover the increased risks to certifiers ?

Anyone who maybe so kind as to post here if PI cover has been made available at reasonable cost to cover the increased risks to certifiers ?

while not my own personal experience, a friend who is an engineer contacted his broker to ask if there will be an increase in premiums as a result of the regs only to be told the underwriters "are still looking at it and no desision has been made yet"......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sydthebeat wrote: »
    No one knows how to price for these jobs, no one knows how to even word a tender package properly.

Great minds think alike! :p I was intending to post/ressurect this thread today with the same sentiments.

It's a fupping disaster! Not a word on this, from any source (RIAI included) since before Christmas.

Starting to look like a fool tellling potential clients that you will have to appoint an assigned certifier...but...that service (and potential associated cost) cannot be properly established at this point.

Logic would say that implementation has to (must) be postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

DOCARCH wrote: »

The Minister's Private Secretary advised as late as last week that the Department are still on course to implement the regulations on March 1st.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

archtech wrote: »
    The Minister's Private Secretary advised as late as last week that the Department are still on course to implement the regulations on March 1st.

I suppose...you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

I suppose...you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs...:rolleyes:

Are Designers the eggs in your metaphor?

con1982 wrote: »
    Are Designers the eggs in your metaphor?

Yip...:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

archtech wrote: »

i have been told by inner circles, that the amendment is also still on course to be implemented on March 1st.

kceire wrote: »
    i have been told by inner circles, that the amendment is also still on course to be implemented on March 1st.

it will be implemented alright, its just the industry wont be in a position to amalgamate to it straight away ...

another case of "its alright jack"

the COP and wording of certs and the actual amendment should have been set in stone at least 6 months ago.

it will be implemented alright, its just the industry wont be in a position to amalgamate to it straight away ...

another case of "its alright jack"

the COP and wording of certs and the actual amendment should have been set in stone at least 6 months ago.

+1

I imagine it will be a month of no commencement notice lodgements while people sit and see how it plays, what's been accepted etc

What I have heard is that there will be some allowance made for people lodging online, and been given a change to rectify problems before they invalidate the CN applications.

They can invalidate the CN?

Lol that will make for great arguments over the counter.
    The building control section in my la wouldn't know a building reg from a title block ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jkell061

it was mentioned earlier that the certificate of compliance (design) does not necessarily need to be the assigned certifier. I don't think it states that it MUST be. what is the case here?

• Advertisement

They can invalidate the CN?

Lol that will make for great arguments over the counter.
    The building control section in my la wouldn't know a building reg from a title block ;)

Yes, and its quite common believe it or not.
    We mainly invalidate them for starting works early.

Mistakes etc can be rectified by phone and email, ie the admin team will call you and say "you put the wrong date in" or "wrong number" etc.

They will then accept an email confirming the correct details and edit the form in house.

But if we inspect a site and it has already substainially commenced, then theres nothing that can be done - invalidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

But if we inspect a site and it has already substainially commenced, then theres nothing that can be done - invalidation.

How is that rectified in terms of the Commencement Notice ? Are works suspended pending lodgement of a revised notice and then recommenced on the appropriate date ?

jkell061 wrote: »
    it was mentioned earlier that the certificate of compliance (design) does not necessarily need to be the assigned certifier. I don't think it states that it MUST be. what is the case here?

no they can be different, once registered.

Supertech wrote: »
    How is that rectified in terms of the Commencement Notice ? Are works suspended pending lodgement of a revised notice and then recommenced on the appropriate date ?

It cannot be rectified.
    You cannot lodge a commencement notice for works which have already commenced.

Basically, its between the developer and his/her architect to sort out the paperwork between themselves to make sure going forward everything is ok.

Like its a minor admin breach and generally its small domestic stuff that it occurs on so in most cases it wont hold up a sale or anything, but i imagine it could cause complications for a developer building a sn estate or similar and having no validated commencement notice.

kceire wrote: »
    Yes, and its quite common believe it or not.
    We mainly invalidate them for starting works early.

Mistakes etc can be rectified by phone and email, ie the admin team will call you and say "you put the wrong date in" or "wrong number" etc.

They will then accept an email confirming the correct details and edit the form in house.

must be different rules for different LAs

ive never had a CN invlidated
    ive sent in CNs for builds that were finished months earlier.

I have :(

must be different rules for different LAs

ive sent in CNs for builds that were finished months earlier.

You,ve just never got caught :p
    I have :(

Dublin?

DLRCC

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jkell061

no they can be different, once registered.

thanks syd,

and this may be a stupid question, but say for a house, and the certificate of completion is made invalid for some reason due to the building not conforming to regs, what then happens the house? it then must sit idle until further works are done until it complies?

• Advertisement

jkell061 wrote: »
    thanks syd,

and this may be a stupid question, but say for a house, and the certificate of completion is made invalid for some reason due to the building not conforming to regs, what then happens the house? it then must sit idle until further works are done until it complies?

a certificate of completion (ie final cert of compliance) shouldnt be signed if theres a building reg issue.

who is going to say its invalid?

If its signed then who is going to notice any issue if and until that building is sold?? even then if a cert exists, will the building be checked for compliance?

remember these regulation allow for NO local authority checks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement