Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Future Classics

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 petulko

I have 99 spec Rx7 RS unmodified and superclean 01 CLK55 amg, hope they will both turn in to profitable classics one day. It would make no sense to sell them now at the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

Fantastic looking - limited production & end of an era- some day a rare collectable....

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

id agreed a dc2 is going to be a furure classic,its a close as jap engineering allowed a fully blown race car on the road before airbags,weight,emissions became an issue.
    There is some choice mods for them.
    Most dohc will appreciate in years to come because there is no car that will appeal to young lads more.nothing made in the last 10 years will come close.

AE86 is another,there is a load of parts recently been discontinued from toyota bumpers ,sunroof etc,that were keeping the old ones going.
    Rust and boy racers are rapidly killing whats left of each example.

Luckily i have a nice one of each ;)

id love to have added a p1 impreza to that list also or a tasty evo 9.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Vauxhall nova gte/gsi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

^I'ld love to get a 2.2 Brera sometime in the future. They're beautiful and real classy cars.
    A diesel Alfa just doesn't look or sound right! And yeah its hard to justify paying 2 grand tax and 20mpg for the 3.2. I'ld much rather get a M3 if I was to go down a big engined car. I remember reading in a review that the 2.2 was just as good as the 3.2 because the 3.2 V6 was heavy and added a lot of front end weight to the car although the v6 was a lot smoother engine than the inline4.

2.2 doesn't make as much sense in the Brera but it's the only engine to have in the Spider. A remapped 2.4JTDm is the only engine to have in the Brera IMO as the 3.2 is thirsty, obscene tax and a generally sh1t engine. :)

2.2 is the pick of the range in the Spider though. It sounds good, looks good and goes as fast as you're ever going to need in the real world. It's also not bad on juice either. Mid thirties on a motorway run is achievable. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

One of the maddest cars ever to be produced..lotus 340r.. Only 340 of them with no roof or doors. I believe there is one in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Honda CRX - both variants but particularly the mk1.
    Honda Prelude - all variants but particularly mk3 & mk4
    Nissan 200SX mk2 + mk3
    Nissan 300ZX Z31 & Z32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Quote: ShadowHearth
    Mazda mx5 would become quite a lovely "modern classic".

Its desirable - yes.
    Its special - yes.
    Its rare/exclusive - No.

That's the problem with the mx5. Too many of them around to become a classic until maybe sometime in the distant future only a few good examples are left which can then be considered as classics.

They may be plentiful but there's a good reason for it. Mine is fairly different anyway, arctic model with all extra's, only 2000'ish built in last year of mk2 production.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I'd say the mx5 will go the same way as the MG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

gambithh wrote: »
    id agreed a dc2 is going to be a furure classic,its a close as jap engineering allowed a fully blown race car on the road before airbags,weight,emissions became an issue.
    There is some choice mods for them.
    Most dohc will appreciate in years to come because there is no car that will appeal to young lads more.nothing made in the last 10 years will come close.

AE86 is another,there is a load of parts recently been discontinued from toyota bumpers ,sunroof etc,that were keeping the old ones going.
    Rust and boy racers are rapidly killing whats left of each example.

Luckily i have a nice one of each ;)

id love to have added a p1 impreza to that list also or a tasty evo 9.
    Later dc2s came fitted with passenger and driver airbags.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Later dc2s came fitted with passenger and driver airbags.
    Airbags came as standard on all UK/EU/AU/US* market DC2's from the get go(1998 on), it was only in the Japanese market where these were options/option deletes from 96 onwards. Same went for other option deletes, like rear wipers, air con, radio, ABS, even the parcel shelf and clock was an extra in the Japanese market. The Japanese got more colour options too, inc silver and yellow(black, red or yellow seats too), slightly better exhaust and got bigger 16 inch wheels(even got a lighter boot wheelwell cover and rear brace). They also got a four door version. And in the rollout/last of the breed Rx with tinted quarter windows, alloy pedals as standard and retractable mirrors(adding weight). The Canadians got about the rarest option which was red rear seats to match the front Recaros.

*The US got a slightly knocked down version of the DC2 R, without the Recaros, instead coming with cheaper more roomy seats for economic (and I kinda suspect larger arse) reasons. They also lost out on things like the titanium gear knob and Momo steering wheel. They also got a centre console. Their version was heavier with a slightly less powerful engine and came with the Civic R (15 inch)wheels in silver.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Ferris

Good article on Honestjohn on this:

http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/top-10s/top-10-future-classics-for-gbp10000/?image=0

I think the Clio V6, Jag XKR, Citroen XM and E-Class cabrio are great shouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Wasn't expecting the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Tha Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione. Only 500 coupes and 500 convertibles were built.

280px-AR8C-Competizione.jpg

alfa3_1450934c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

If I could, these would be in my collection.

Renault Vel Satis

FIAT MULTIPLA

Ford Focus RS Mk2

BMW E60 535d

Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Any mention of GT86 as a future classic?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Maybe, but what are the criteria for something to be considered a true classic? Rare? Expensive? Old but well looked after?

Pretty much every limited edition, small production run Ferrari, Porsche, Aston etc are guaranteed classics. Also the Lamborghini Murcielago SV would probably be considered a classic in the future:

2010-Lamborghini-Murcielago-LP670-4-SV-front-three-quarters.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Probably too many made but a BMW ZM Coupe. It looks a bit different and I don't see that many of them.
    Z4 M Coupe was actually fairly rare, particularly in RHD.
    Subaru 22B has only 424 examples made. Also Impreza Cosworth, hardly any of those. NSX-R is like hens teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Thud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

squod wrote: »
    If I could, these would be in my collection.

Renault Vel Satis

FIAT MULTIPLA

Ford Focus RS Mk2

BMW E60 535d

Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

And which one is the future classic!? :pac:
    Thud wrote: »
    They make a solid case for it being an iconic or standout design, but it was too popular and easily attainable to be a classic IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Lotus Elise & Exige

BMW Z3M Coupe (the hatchback one)

BMW M3 CSL

Renault Clio V6

Fiat 500 Abarth?

Advertisement