Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment Reviews / Questions about equipment

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

The Aussie wrote: »
    At a whooping £688 + delivery outside of the UK.

So you'd want to have "deep" pockets if you wanted to buy one :)

Read the reviews - all of them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

eirator wrote: »
    So you'd want to have "deep" pockets if you wanted to buy one :)

Read the reviews - all of them ;)

You would want deep pockets to carry one as well. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

If it could be broken down to a make your own swiss army knife kind of thing it would be well worth the money but for a display piece not a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

New piece of kit received so might as well write up a review.

Swedish Army Trangia
    Cost: €13.25 plus €3.95 shipping
    Contains: wind cover, one pot, one lid/pan, one brass trangia burner and one meths bottle

Decided to get this as I've been looking for a compact, self contained cooking set up to have in the boot of the car for emergencies. At the price it's great, as you can see from the last photos it is real surplus and has the three crowns marking of the Swedish armed forces. I describe this as grade 2 condition (hand picked) but not grade 1 (new/unissued). A few scrapes and some chipping on the billy pot handle but no dings or dents. The burner is in good condition and the rubber seals are fine and don't show any signs of perishing. I've tested both the burner and bottle for leaks but they are grand. Like any trangia it does take a while for the burner to heat up and start working at full power. It will boil a litre of water in approximately 20 mins but unlike the civilian burners there is no way to adust the flame if you want to simmer something. This really doesn't bother me as I'll only use it for boiling water or reheating meals. To be honest guys, at the price it is at, it's a bargain.

Pros: Cheap and reliable. Low cost fuel. Self contained. Idiot proof.
    Cons: Might be a bit too big for your BOB. Takes a while to heat up. Shipping was a bit long, 9 days from Kerry to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

At that price ill be adding one to my boot too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

If your down anywhere near Middleton then the Army surplus place still had plenty of those Swiss Army Trangia a couple of weeks back. iirc they were less than the online price and you can pick out a brand new one, possibly one of the few real bargains in the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I have used them a couple of times tried to make a green curry in one once it was only alright they are good for boilng lots of water because the burner is so big as far as i know you can get a simmer ring for them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just a note to say that you can buy Swedish surplus Trangia in either SS or aluminium. Aluminium will be lighter but the SS can be used in a campfire too.

The only negative point I would have it the pot handle is very skittish and if it was a bit stiffer, I'd feel safer pouring boiling water out of it.

You can also fashion a handle from a handy stick to make the lid/frying pan safer to use.

Advertisement