Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment Reviews / Questions about equipment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

nuub wrote: »
    I use a hexi cooker and love it but im looking to upgrade and leave the hexi in my B.O.B.

I used to use a hexi stove but I'm not too enamoured of the idea of the toxic fumes. Not every place stocks hexi tablets either. Hexi stoves are extremely lightweight and handy though.

I switched to the trangia system, which although not very lightweight by many standards, is very reliable and easy to use. It uses meths, which is easy to get. Also, I understand that meths stoves will cook more effectively than gas stoves in cold weather

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

aaakev wrote: »
    2nd the led lensers, my p7 lives on top of my rifle and is a great tool, iv had it goin on 2 years now.

In your experience, how waterproof is the P7? I have a P14 and a P3, both have come in very handy for different things. I wouldn't be sure about the waterproofness of them though. Also the P7 uses AAA's... I'd prefer AA's but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

In your experience, how waterproof is the P7? I have a P14 and a P3, both have come in very handy for different things. I wouldn't be sure about the waterproofness of them though. Also the P7 uses AAA's... I'd prefer AA's but thats just me.
    A few years ago when we had the major rain and flooding my p7 was on my belt over my coat or in my hand during 8+ hours of it when I got home I striped it to dry it out but it was bone dry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Iv had mine on top of my rifle in lashing rain for hours and its never let in water. I wouldnt like to submerge i fot too long but id have no problem using it in wet conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

While on the subject of flash lights and stuff you would not waste money on.

The myTorch from NEXTORCH ain't worth a pinch of the brown stuff, the idea behind them is sound being a programmable smart torch, they come pre-programmed with high and low beam and strobe with unlimited downloadable options, via Windows only.

But the way they chew up batteries is unsustainable and the Lumens claimed are no where near what is delivered all for a high price tag to boot.

http://www.nextorch.com/en/flashlights/new-products/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

Was in Petersens (near Grafton st.) on monday. Leatherman Knives and Maglites 2 for 1 deal (or half price) running at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Can you buy one for half price?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Maglite only and yea they will sell you one for half price. Offer not on led versions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Leathermans were on sale when I looked in there before Christmas and I still got the Wave €30 cheaper online and that included a Maglite Solitaire and the belt clip,lanyard hook and the leather case - Petersens was just for the Wave with the acrylic case. The only place in Dublin more expensive at the time was the Scout Shop (surprise surprise).

Bear Grylls field sharpener http://www.heinnie.com/Sharpeners/Bear-Grylls/Field-Sharpener/p-370-1198-8415/
    Got a present of one of these and its pure crap it dulled my knife blade rather than sharpened it (thankfully i tried it on an old knife) Much better ones out there for the same price or less

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Almost anything with SAS, Special Forces, Para, Airborn or Military Issue in the description. There would be some exceptions as you have to judge an item on its merits but the price that most genuine Military Issue kit goes for normally puts it out of my range.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭skinnylizzy

Hi guys, just wondering if this knife is any use as a survival knife?

http://theairsoftshop.ie/OutdoorGear/Survival/GERBER_Ultimate

I don't need it to be uber sharp as I will probably be using it for some hacking and chopping as well as slicing and dicing. I like the idea of it haveing the diamond sharpener and fire starter all in one package as I'd ideally like to be travelling light and not want to be carrying 10 knives, a saw and a hatchet.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

My quick reply is if you have to ask then no.

Its a decent knife (but over priced) I've looked at them a couple of times but if you aren't sure then buy something cheaper, learn how to sharpen it, knock the hell out of it and understand exactly what you want/need in a knife.

If you like it search Amazon.co.uk for some reviews and much cheaper prices, my personal preference if it had to have BG on the handle would be this plain edged version (no serrations) http://www.amazon.co.uk/GERBER-GRYLLS-ULTIMATE-FIXED-BLADE/dp/B0073ELQM2 .

Edit> Interesting review of the knife you were asking about http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bear-Grylls-Ultimate-Survival-Knife/dp/B00BXBNKR0 - get the scales out.

Hi guys, just wondering if this knife is any use as a survival knife?

http://theairsoftshop.ie/OutdoorGear/Survival/GERBER_Ultimate

I don't need it to be uber sharp as I will probably be using it for some hacking and chopping as well as slicing and dicing. I like the idea of it haveing the diamond sharpener and fire starter all in one package as I'd ideally like to be travelling light and not want to be carrying 10 knives, a saw and a hatchet.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.
    I was looking at getting one of these for my son who is 15 for when we go camping but when i looked at the youtube reviews it turned me right off it. I picked up one of these instead http://www.heinnie.com/Magnum-Knives/Fixed-Blade-Knives/Camp-Bowie/p-167-1006-2953/ and I have to say for a less than €40 knife its great it holds an good edge for ruff work never sharpened it more than that stage as ive always got a mora knife with me for super sharp if needed
    I also got a gift of one of these http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Dajo-Knives/Survivor-Knife/p-92-811-5730/ razor sharp out of the box havent field tested it yet but messing around at home with it its still holding its edge

Thanks for the replies guys, I did see one review where the plastic handle broke when he was hitting the knife to chop a dead branch. Are there any good "all round all in one" type survival knives? Or is it just a case of get everything seperate (fire starter, sharpener, sheath, etc.) an carry on?

Thanks again for the input.

Thanks for the replies guys, I did see one review where the plastic handle broke when he was hitting the knife to chop a dead branch. Are there any good "all round all in one" type survival knives? Or is it just a case of get everything seperate (fire starter, sharpener, sheath, etc.) an carry on?

Thanks again for the input.
    Your best survival knife is the one you have on you at the time you need it. It all boils down to your skill level you could spend €500 on a knife with fire steel sharpener the whole lot on it and its no use if you dont know how to use it The Magnum knife i got for my son i added a small pouch to the sheath which carries a firesteel knife sharpener whistle and a tiny flashlight the pouch is attached by paracord
    My advice to you is like eirator said start off cheap use and abuse it until you build up your skill level learning how to sharpen it chop with it feather sticks with it and how it feels is it too heavy too light ect

I understand. I see Mora knives are quite cheap but get great reviews. Any advise on which one or two to buy?

I understand. I see Mora knives are quite cheap but get great reviews. Any advise on which one or two to buy?
    Personally I use the Mora 511 (carbon steel) Mora 546 (stainless steal) Mora 2000 (stainless steel) All 3 are great knives I use the 511 in my tool box for ruff work and in my camping pack. The 546 I use in the kitchen great for meat and veg also have one in my camping bag for food. The 2000 is in my hiking kit because its so light weight you dont even know its there. Id highly recommend the 511 or the 546 you can get them here very cheap http://www.dnoutdoor.com/Mora_of_Sweden/cat255083_181377.aspx plus lots of others just mind your fingers when you first try them you will be amazed how sharp they are

Thanks a mill for the info and thanks for the link to that site, they're very cheap on there compared to other sites. I just ordered the 2000 there now. I'll see how I get on with that before I order anything else. Thanks again man.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ron jambo

I'm allways looking for the best axe/saw combo.
    Have a few hollow/handle axe saw spade knife cheepies.
    Looking at the Gerber axe/saw(handle holds saw)
    Ticks all boxes. Any reviews, down falls or advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

ron jambo wrote: »
    I'm allways looking for the best axe/saw combo.
    Have a few hollow/handle axe saw spade knife cheepies.
    Looking at the Gerber axe/saw(handle holds saw)
    Ticks all boxes. Any reviews, down falls or advice.

I like the pocketboy. It leaves the Ray Mears Bahco Laplander in the shade, as far as I am concerned.

I like the pocketboy. It leaves the Ray Mears Bahco Laplander in the shade, as far as I am concerned.

Sorry stuck on wrong page (you'll see) .have one of them allready;

but does not come with bad/good axe attachment.:)

Wanting to ask about gerber axe with saw in handle if any good or just a gimmick.

Sorry stuck on wrong page (you'll see) .have one of them allready;
    but does not come with bad/good axe attachment.:)
    Ive one of the Gerber axes without the saw and to be honest im not that keen on it it tends to get a bit slippy on the handle when your hands start to sweat and its a pig to sharpen I much rather the timber handle axe that i bought for €15 in woodies easy to sharpen great handle and if the Gerber handle breaks bye bye axe timber one breaks easy and cheap to replace

So probably not the weight/space saving it looks like ?
    Looks good till you use it ?

So probably not the weight/space saving it looks like ?
    Looks good till you use it ?
    Its not that much lighter than the timber handle axe For an axe saw combo id go with the timber handle axe and one of the lidl/aldi folding saws (As most people here will tell you those saws for the price cannot be beaten)

Cheers, work out alot cheaper too. Just the other looked all that (marketing) and a bag of chips.

Cheers, work out alot cheaper too. Just the other looked all that (marketing) and a bag of chips.
    I was looking at the smaller one with the knife in the handle for over a year I got the larger one at a car boot sale brand new for €10 (couldnt say no) but im glad i didnt pay full price and shipping

Starting to rethink the hollow heads axe/saw/shovel. Just cut handles as needed.

Not seen this one reviewed here before http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wenger-19201-Swiss-Army-Knife/dp/B000R0JDSI anyone? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

At a whooping £688 + delivery outside of the UK.
    And
    Product Features
    The Largest Swiss Army Knife In The World
    85 gadgets With 109 Features
    Weights 2Lb 11oz

I don't know what is bigger, the Knife or the price tag :pac:

image_zps32574e08.jpg

Advertisement