Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought a house - need it painted.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Stop the bickering please, we all know you can get vastly different quotes for the same job. Lots of people will quote high for some jobs if they have any amount of work on hand, in the hopes that they get it but not being too bothered if they don't.

I have not been bickering, I'm interested to see how there quotes break down for labour and materials if they are charging her 250 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

I have not been bickering, I'm interested to see how there quotes break down for labour and materials if they are charging her 250 a day.

Why would anybody go through scanning and posting pics of their quotes they probably threw out or have filed away? I certainly dumped any quotes I had that I considered too high. Why would I keep them. I have a receipt in my files from the job that was done and so that I can keep the contact details of the guy to call again. But I wouldnt waste my time posting it for you.
    The only person who has a problem with these prices are people who will tell you what another guy WONT do, even though they dont even know what the other guy is doing.

Why not get your house painted and ask different painters to quote you and detail what they will be doing, then bargain with them and see how you do.
    Much better than asking everyone else to help you out. You'll see first hand and you may even get the info you need to be competitive if you are in the same business.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Can you post pics of them quotes please?
    No, Im sorry but we dont want to see the actual quotes posted here

Edit/ didnt know we were on another page but I see my co-mod has this point more or less covered especially about the bickering. Be careful here folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Pricing of a job for any contractor is pretty simple. It doesn't matter what the other lads are pricing or the current going rate.

4 basic parts. Labour, materials, overhead and profit.

Overhead, each individual company is different, advertising, rent, insurance, vans etc etc. Without knowing these numbers its impossible to price a job correctly.

Profit, again every contractor is different. Some want to grow at different levels, some just trying to get by.

Of course excellent workers are paramount, no messing(within reason) and an ability to do the work correctly and properly every time.

Add the cost of materials( we add 15% for sourcing), or some customers may want to do this.

These are the factors that I work off. Its not brain surgery, but its not a guess either. Which seems to be why people get a huge variance in the quote stage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Anyone who thinks painting is not a skilled job should come see the mess I made of my house!

I need to get the outside of my house painted. Will definitely be going for a professional. 100 euro a day seems fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Pricing of a job for any contractor is pretty simple. It doesn't matter what the other lads are pricing or the current going rate.

4 basic parts. Labour, materials, overhead and profit.

Overhead, each individual company is different, advertising, rent, insurance, vans etc etc. Without knowing these numbers its impossible to price a job correctly.

Profit, again every contractor is different. Some want to grow at different levels, some just trying to get by.

Of course excellent workers are paramount, no messing(within reason) and an ability to do the work correctly and properly every time.

Add the cost of materials( we add 15% for sourcing), or some customers may want to do this.

These are the factors that I work off. Its not brain surgery, but its not a guess either. Which seems to be why people get a huge variance in the quote stage.

Is that 15% on top of the discounted trade price you pay or on top if the RRP?

ted1 wrote: »
    Is that 15% on top of the discounted trade price you pay or on top if the RRP?

The 15% additional for paint and sundries is on top of what I pay for it.

Eg if I pay €200 the cost to the customer is €230.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So i persume that its still cheaper for them to get it via you , as you would be getting at much cheaper rates than them.

Sometimes it is, in fact most times it is. But I don't work for free so if I have to pay full RRP they pay 15% on top. It's all clearly stated in the contract so no surprises afterwards. Communication is key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I will be moving into my 3rd house in May and I will be paying for someone to paint both interior and exterior.

I'm more than capable of doing it myself which I did when I was a first time buyer, and again on my second purchase, but this time around I am very time poor and with two little feet running around I think it would be best to get someone in before the furniture to complete all painting.

I will be paying a guy apporox €100 (ex materials) a day but also a max amount of days factored in.

So it really boils down to everyone's situation and seen the mad days of ridiculous pricing are gone they why not take advantage and give someone else the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

true wrote: »
    In south Dublin I got my house painted for 80 euro per day, but the painter was excellent and worked about 10 hours per day. A Polish painter, think he's gone back now for a few months as his mother is sick or something. Very neat worker, and hard woking too. Not great English so he did not chat too much ...maybe thats why he's gone back too.

Im just a lurker usually, but I signed up to see if I can get some painters numbers. Any change you can PM me your guys number?

Advertisement