Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought a house - need it painted.

Options
  • 07-04-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

We just bought a house in Firhouse.

1 Double Bedroom (with ensuite bathroom)
    Another smaller Double bedroom
    2 Small bedrooms
    Upstairs Landing
    Downstairs Hall with Small WC
    Living Room
    Dining Room
    Kitchen
    Utility Room

When we get the keys, before we move in, we're considering getting it painted (white/cream walls throughout with a feature wall in the "main" rooms (Living, Dining, one bedroom). We'd also want ceilings, skirting and doors done.

What I'm wondering is:

How much, and how long? (Considering the place will be 100% empty). Price should include paint. Getting the keys in May.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Del Amitri

Just looking for a rough idea, by the way - not going to hold anyone to anything until they have seen the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Del Amitri wrote: »
    Just looking for a rough idea, by the way - not going to hold anyone to anything until they have seen the place.

Hard even to give a rough quote without knowing size of rooms, conditions of walls/woodwork, previous colurs on walls etc.

It will certainly be easier and cheaper to paint an empty house.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

2 Small bedrooms
    Upstairs Landing
    Living Room
    Dining Room
    Kitchen
    Utility Room
    Without knowing the size of the rooms, if they're wallpapered or not, not many people will even be able to guesstimate a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

Around €2000 , roughly 4 days 2 painters

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Hi,

We just bought a house in Firhouse.

2 Small bedrooms
    Upstairs Landing
    Living Room
    Dining Room
    Kitchen
    Utility Room

When we get the keys, before we move in, we're considering getting it painted (white/cream walls throughout with a feature wall in the "main" rooms (Living, Dining, one bedroom). We'd also want ceilings, skirting and doors done.

What I'm wondering is:

How much, and how long? (Considering the place will be 100% empty). Price should include paint. Getting the keys in May.

Thanks in advance.
    I got my house (1340sq feet), that has furniture through out, painted. All walls(same colour), ceilings, doors, skirting, window boards and stairs for €900 excluding paint. He bought the paint(fleetwood) separate and got a 20% discount. It took him 9 days by himself. Couldn't believe i got it done so cheap, i was expecting twice that price. He done a good job too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Probably able to do it for 900 cos he's also getting the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

NIMAN wrote: »
    That is what I was quoted when I painted my place, €100 per person per day. Some were looking for as low as €80 but I went for the painters who had the reputation. Changing times I'm afraid. I did also get quoted up to €3200 for my job. It took 2 people 5 days for finished ceiling upstairs and downstairs, double coat walls upstairs, no wood, and single coat all walls downstairs. This was a new build so they sanded and filled the walls where needed. Even the guys playing by the rules are charging this to compete with todays market demands.

100 per day and u paid them in cash:-) insured and registered painter will charge u more.
    Btw 5 days 2men to paint ceilings and walls no woodwork:) they took their time. One man would do it in 5 days :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

byrybak wrote: »
    100 per day and u paid them in cash:-) insured and registered painter will charge u more.
    Btw 5 days 2men to paint ceilings and walls no woodwork:) they took their time. One man would do it in 5 days :-)
    Paid by cheque:P:).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

That is what I was quoted when I painted my place, €100 per person per day. Some were looking for as low as €80 but I went for the painters who had the reputation. Changing times I'm afraid.

In south Dublin I got my house painted for 80 euro per day, but the painter was excellent and worked about 10 hours per day. A Polish painter, think he's gone back now for a few months as his mother is sick or something. Very neat worker, and hard woking too. Not great English so he did not chat too much ...maybe thats why he's gone back too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

true wrote: »
    In south Dublin I got my house painted for 80 euro per day, but the painter was excellent and worked about 10 hours per day. A Polish painter, think he's gone back now for a few months as his mother is sick or something. Very neat worker, and hard woking too. Not great English so he did not chat too much ...maybe thats why he's gone back too.

You were lucky, my folks got tiling done by a Polish guy, said he had done work in such and such building on Poland etc, but in the end a blind octagenarian shepard would have done a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

johnty56 wrote: »
    in the end a blind octagenarian shepard would have done a better job.
    In other words they were fleeced ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I just got hall stairs landing , 2 bedrooms including woodwork and bathroom ceiling, front door all done for 350. Price included materials, walls were filled and smoothed. Very happy with the job done.
    Had same guy tile a splash back and paint large kitchen for 195.

I would recommend him, PM me if you want his number .

NIMAN wrote: »

Barrybak quoted 250 a day, the other guy is doing it for 100, dole is 188 a week. So if you think he is doing it cheap because of the diole. His daily rate is 137. Roughly 50% less than other guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Just hot whole house in Dublin painted. Two men three days.
    Skirtings ceilings walls doors , window frames etc.
    All done for €900. Not inc paint.
    Roughly €100 per room incl en-suites.
    Excellent job.

We got all sorts of quotes ranging from €500 to €3500.
    The 500 ones I didn't like the look of.
    So called them all back that I liked and said €900 is what I am offering for the job. ALL of them agreed to do it for that. One dropped out when I made it clear I wanted a receipt and would not be paying cash hand.
    After that it was just a matter Of picking best one for the job.

Same guy is coming to paint the exterior of the house in the summer.

ted1 wrote: »
    I just got hall stairs landing , 2 bedrooms including woodwork and bathroom ceiling, front door all done for 350. Price included materials, walls were filled and smoothed. Very happy with the job done.
    Had same guy tile a splash back and paint large kitchen for 195.

I would recommend him, PM me if you want his number .
    Another cash job I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

I'm sure this will cause offence to some people but lets be honest painting your average house is not a skilled trade. If you have two arms and a roller your pretty much qualified to paint. It's not the hardest thing to do. The rates that were charged is the boom were ridiculous (and some lads are still clinging to those times). I remember getting a lad to price painting a hall, very small bathroom ceiling and two bedrooms looking for €2200.
    The only real need to hire someone to paint for you is if you work and can't possibly find the time to do it yourself.
    People complaining that €100 a day is too cheap for a painter that's €500 a week for essentially unskilled labour. Now I know there's taxes to be paid out of that but there's many a person on the dole who would gladly work for that amount.

(Let the flaming/complaining begin)

Another cash job I suppose?

yes I Paid cash, just as i do in Tesco, Aldi etc.

The painter has a registered company. leaflets with business name address, name, buisness name and detaisl proudly displayed on the side of the Van. and will have a stand at the ideal home exhibtion.so draw your own conclussions.

He turned up on sunday for 30 minutes, painted soem anti mould stuff on bathroom ceiling, a quick bit of filling.

came back monday after noon when it dried, did some painting and some sanding etc.

came back the following day and finsihed off the job.

so in all it was just under two days.

didn't take many breaks, put his head down and got on with the job.

hexosan wrote: »
    I'm sure this will cause offence to some people but lets be honest painting your average house is not a skilled trade. If you have two arms and a roller your pretty much qualified to paint. It's not the hardest thing to do. The rates that were charged is the boom were ridiculous (and some lads are still clinging to those times). I remember getting a lad to price painting a hall, very small bathroom ceiling and two bedrooms looking for €2200.
    The only real need to hire someone to paint for you is if you work and can't possibly find the time to do it yourself.
    People complaining that €100 a day is too cheap for a painter that's €500 a week for essentially unskilled labour. Now I know there's taxes to be paid out of that but there's many a person on the dole who would gladly work for that amount.

in the whole i do agree with you, but there is a clear difference to the job I do when i paint and the job a prefessional will do.

I'll paint the walls and try to keep with in the lines. a painter will smooth the walls, get a good line between walls and ceilings.

apply the corect anti mould base to bathrooms etc.

The biggest lesson i learnt from the painters over the years is to stay away from own brand paint and only use good trade paints.

Low tack masking tape will achieve the same clean lines & most good paint stores or hardwares will advise on the correct paint for a particular job. It irks me when lads claim painting is some magical trade that only a chosen few are capable of doing. At the end of the day your rolling paint on a wall not painting a masterpiece on the ceiling of the sistine chapel.
    I do believe in paying someone a fair price for a fair days work, everyone is intitled to that. I just have no time for lads that hype up their ability to screw people who are not in the know out of their money.

• Advertisement

Barrybak quoted 250 a day, the other guy is doing it for 100, dole is 188 a week. So if you think he is doing it cheap because of the diole. His daily rate is 137. Roughly 50% less than other guy.

I didn't quote it first of all I just estimated the cost.
    Explain u why I said around 2000:
    Materials- 400 good quality paint ,filler, flexible filler, sand paper etc
    Vat- 250
    Labour- 160/day x8 days =1280
    Total-1930

tax on that job around 250euro.
    Qualified painter is entitled to 16euro / hour.

I don't know were u got 250 from

I'm not trying to have a go with anyone but please realise one thing if u paying painter 100/day after all costs that he has he is left with around 60 in his hand and that is his real daily rate not 100 that u paying him.

I didn't quote it first of all I just estimated the cost.
    Explain u why I said around 2000:
    Materials- 400 good quality paint ,filler, flexible filler, sand paper etc
    Vat- 250
    Labour- 160/day x8 days =1280
    Total-1930

tax on that job around 250euro.
    Qualified painter is entitled to 16euro / hour.

I don't know were u got 250 from

My mistake I thought you were just talking the labour price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

€250 a day still seems like celtic tiger price. If I was on the dole ( here at €188 a week, or just north of the border for half that ) I'd be happy to work here for 80 euro a day, as that would still be a lot more than the dole.
    I know managers in restaurants and shops working for that, and glad to get it as the alternative is not to get it. If you were self employed and therefore not entitled to the dole ( eg if your partner was working or you had a house ) you'd be glad to get a tenner an hour too if the alternative was to get nothing. Of course nobody likes but work for s*** wages when some people in the country are still in secure well paid jobs but thats life / ireland 1913 for ya.

true wrote: »
    €250 a day still seems like celtic tiger price. If I was on the dole ( here at €188 a week, or just north of the border for half that ) I'd be happy to work here for 80 euro a day, as that would still be a lot more than the dole.
    I know managers in restaurants and shops working for that, and glad to get it as the alternative is not to get it. If you were self employed and therefore not entitled to the dole ( eg if your partner was working or you had a house ) you'd be glad to get a tenner an hour too if the alternative was to get nothing. Of course nobody likes but work for s*** wages when some people in the country are still in secure well paid jobs but thats life / ireland 1913 for ya.

U should read all posts first , no one is charging 250 a day

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

U should read all posts first , no one is charging 250 a day

I got a good few quotes that were a lot more than €250 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

hexosan wrote: »

Some people eat at McDonalds some eat at fancy resturants.

If you can't understand the stand the difference between a quality paint job, and a DIY one, or simply don't care thats fair enough.

But to paint all painters with the one brush;) is slanderous. It's pretty simple really, all business owners should know their market and their margins. If people don't want to pay it, get different customers.

Simples.

MMAGirl wrote: »
    I got a good few quotes that were a lot more than €250 a day.

Can you post pics of them quotes please?

Some people eat at McDonalds some eat at fancy resturants.

If you can't understand the stand the difference between a quality paint job, and a DIY one, or simply don't care thats fair enough.

But to paint all painters with the one brush;) is slanderous. It's pretty simple really, all business owners should know their market and their margins. If people don't want to pay it, get different customers.

Simples.

To start very good pun

I can completely see the difference, there are good and bad in all walks of life. but the problem is the vast majority of painters I've come in contact with were lads that were handy at painting a few rooms then along came the Celtic tiger and the housing boom, these handy lads bought a van and stuck a logo on the side and hey presto there were "professional" painters. (Same could be said for some builders)

Like I said they isn't a real difference between DIY painting your standard house and hiring a painter to do it for you. I've been in plenty of homes where the owner done the painting (and I'm a stickler for detail) where you wouldn't tell the difference, the home owner isn't pretending to be anything their not. A small bit of patience and a steady hand go along way.

On the other hand I've seen many a professional job done by an alleged professional that was just disgraceful, a prefect example, professional painter comes in paints the place (new build) everything looks good then home owner moves in and for some reason none of the ceiling lights work. On investigation the "professional" had forgot or was just too lazy to cover the bulb holders and sprayed the contacts. All had to be removed and cleaned.

Painting period properties or conservation work then I agree its time to get the professional in provided they can supply references and show their qualifications

Don't take this as I'm having a go at all painters, if someone is truly a professional well and good(there's a place for them and a particular type of work) but most painter (lads in vans) claim to be but can't back anything up, yet are the first to tear your head off when you point it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Can you post pics of them quotes please?
    Stop the bickering please, we all know you can get vastly different quotes for the same job. Lots of people will quote high for some jobs if they have any amount of work on hand, in the hopes that they get it but not being too bothered if they don't.

Advertisement