Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy needle exchange information?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 daisy_days

It's called a 'one hit kit' but I'm sure you could get as many as you need so long as you return the black container to be disposed of back to the pharmacy. I guess it would depend on the pharmacist. Here is a video from a pharmacist in cork about the program. http://inef.ie/?p=6099

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Aye, Ballyer

There are a few exchanges running there throughout the week. I have not seen any problems caused by the location of exchanges there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Odysseus wrote: »
    My understanding is that this service is similar to the concept of an emergency exchange. They are only getting enough for one injection.

Unlike a full exchange where apart from getting up to a weeks supply or more, and availing of other available services.

So as it is a minimum intervention it would not need a lot of training.

For a more indept intervention I would imagine the person would be referred to a needle exchange woth a full range of services available.

Its nice to know about it.I think its a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭92Grainne1992

Is it every doc morris pharmacy doing the needle exchanges? What does the logo look like on the door? :)

Is it every doc morris pharmacy doing the needle exchanges? What does the logo look like on the door? :)

If you go to this website http://inef.ie/ you can see the logo it's the one with the two arrows. I am in the south of Ireland and any branches I have seen have the logo displayed. I also noticed it on some branches of Sam McAulys

• Advertisement

mattjack wrote: »
    Its nice to know about it.I think its a great idea.

I agree, I can remember the days when people had to sharpen their spike on a mirror.

There was another well known chemist who would do a one for one excange, but he charged a pound a go IIRC that was in the 80-90s.

People don't understand the amount of lives that neddle exchanges hae saved over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Why do people have to be so condescending?

It's annoying alright.
    I know this is only a message board but you have to laugh. Because if people said what they say on here, but in the real world, they would get a punch to the face :pac:

It's all hiding behind your keyboard crap.

I agree, I can remember the days when people had to sharpen their spike on a mirror.

There was another well known chemist who would do a one for one excange, but he charged a pound a go IIRC that was in the 80-90s.

People don't understand the amount of lives that neddle exchanges hae saved over the years.

I think it's a great program with a proven track record in reducing blood Bourne diseases. Its not about promoting injecting rather than identifying that there is a problem here. And therefore accepting that even if people are not at a place where they are ready to seek treatment we can try to help stop the spread of these diseases. This will help take the strain off our health system and is good for society as you won't be seeing needles discarded about the place.

That's jut my opinion on the program though

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭92Grainne1992

Thanks a million lads, ye are lifesavers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's annoying alright.
    I know this is only a message board but you have to laugh. Because if people said what they say on here, but in the real world, they would get a punch to the face :pac:

It's all hiding behind your keyboard crap.

It's the law of the digital jungle man. Betta mind your 1's and 0's around here bro or someone might write something irksome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

There are a few exchanges running there throughout the week. I have not seen any problems caused by the location of exchanges there.

When people say ballyer, do they mean Ballymun or ballyfermot?

When people say ballyer, do they mean Ballymun or ballyfermot?

In this case it is Ballyfermot.

Advertisement