Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy needle exchange information?

Options
  • 07-04-2013 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi, I'm doing a presentation for college and was just wondering does ANYONE know where I could get information on the new pharmacy needle exchange initiative.... I cant seem to find any information on it, apart from that no one wants needle exchanges in their area and pharmacists will have to be trained properly to dispense clean needles and dispose of dirty ones... Anyone have any clue, even an online newspaper article on it.... Its all a bit hush hush and thats no good for me :) Sound. x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Ring any of the Addiction Services Clinics tomorrow, some there will be able to answer your questions or put you in contact will someone who can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

While this thread is here...

Does anyone know where I'd get a vintage sink plunger?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

There was a three year programme to be rolled out in late 2011 , with pharmacys being recommended by the hse for it or by asking about it themselves.Though I never heard anything much about it .I think its outside Dublin only.

I can't understand why every pharmacy doesn't offer this service. The training can't be that onerous.

If all pharmacy's did it then there wouldn't be worry about individual ones attracting all the addicts for miles around, and there wouldn't be the not-in-my-back-yard knee jerk reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Does Grainne Ni Seoige still do the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

While this thread is here...

Does anyone know where I'd get a vintage sink plunger?

Ring the vintage sink plunger services tomorrow, they should be able to answer your questions or at least put you on to someone who can.

antodeco wrote: »
    Does Grainne Ni Seoige still do the news?

Where's she gone actually? Have seen her for ages the loverly celtic temptress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

Thread needs more brass monkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Seachmall wrote: »

Why do people have to be so condescending?

• Advertisement

Why do people have to be so condescending?

Here you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Oh funny, I see we have a comedian here...:rolleyes:

Oh funny, I see we have a comedian here...:rolleyes:

Why do you have to be so condescending?

Candie wrote: »
    I can't understand why every pharmacy doesn't offer this service. The training can't be that onerous.

If all pharmacy's did it then there wouldn't be worry about individual ones attracting all the addicts for miles around, and there wouldn't be the not-in-my-back-yard knee jerk reaction.

In some situations you might need to be able sit and talk to the addict, maybe recognise damage to veins etc and would you let the pharmacist or the assistant do the exchange ?

You couldn't use her as a plunger , you silly boy .

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭92Grainne1992

Some counselling training or qualification would be needed then yes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Op did you ever hear of google?

Some counselling training or qualification would be needed then yes?

No , there's no actual qualification needed to work in a needle exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

None wanted near me, thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 9 daisy_days

I did a presentation on the IPNE for college this year. All branches of Doc Morris are involved in the program and any pharmacy that displays the logo. They have to discreet due to the stigma attached that is why you will only see the logo on the doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mikemac1 wrote: »

What would you prefer, dirty needles being left places on roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭92Grainne1992

No info on it anyway, just that it was planned to be started up. Should be grand anyway :)

mattjack wrote: »
    In some situations you might need to be able sit and talk to the addict, maybe recognise damage to veins etc and would you let the pharmacist or the assistant do the exchange ?

My understanding is that the scheme is limited to a straight swap. It's not a counselling or advice service.

daisy_days wrote: »
    I did a presentation on the IPNE for college this year. All branches of Doc Morris are involved in the program and any pharmacy that displays the logo. They have to discreet due to the stigma attached that is why you will only see the logo on the doors.

What's the story with the system here, is their a charge for the exchange? Or is it a free service like the one supplied by the Addiction Services and places like MQ etc?

Is the IPNE nationwide ? would there be many pharmacies involved ?

mikemac1 wrote: »

You are based in Ballyer or am I mixing you up. I ask as there is a neddle exchange there.

Anyway why would you not want people to be getting treatment. I doubt you live in an addioct free zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Aye, Ballyer

• Registered Users Posts: 9 daisy_days

It's a free service aimed at reducing blood diseases like hepB&C. You go in to the pharmacy ask for a pack. Which contains •single filter syringe with an attached needle a stainless steel spoon 5ml citric and some water. Along with this you get a little case where you put in your used needle. It cannot be reopened once the used needle is in it. You then take that container back to the pharmacy where they dispose or incinerate the box and its contents aka the used needle.

It's a free service aimed at reducing blood diseases like hepB&C. You go in to the pharmacy ask for a pack. Which contains •single filter syringe with an attached needle a stainless steel spoon 5ml citric and some water. Along with this you get a little case where you put in your used needle. It cannot be reopened once the used needle is in it. You then take that container back to the pharmacy where they dispose or incinerate the box and its contents aka the used needle.

Are you limited to one pack ?

• Advertisement

mattjack wrote: »

My understanding is that this service is similar to the concept of an emergency exchange. They are only getting enough for one injection.

Unlike a full exchange where apart from getting up to a weeks supply or more, and availing of other available services.

So as it is a minimum intervention it would not need a lot of training.

For a more indept intervention I would imagine the person would be referred to a needle exchange woth a full range of services available.

Advertisement