Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEC QF: Clermont vs Montpellier, Sat 6 April 3:40pm (Irish Time)

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

This notion of "gears" in sport pisses me off. It's a tired lazy cliche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Tox56 wrote: »
    But if they were, why? It was a huge game at the time, shouldn't have had a problem getting up for it, what's to say that wouldn't happen again? In a potential Semi-Final, Quins would bring a better team than Leinster did, and they wouldn't be in the SMM because of the competition rules. Clermont are favourites but they're definitely beatable, that's all I'm saying.

Bit like they were in 2nd gear today for a while, and then upped it when they needed to. They are beatable, like every team, but I haven't seen anything from the likes of the Irish provinces to do it. Maybe on a final they could be vulnerable - time will tell.

trouttrout wrote: »

Thanks for sharing your insightful experiences with us. A most interesting lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

We're looking at one of the best squads ever to play the Heineken cup. Clermont eased through that game. I really hope it's an Ulster v Clermont final because they're the two best teams n Europe at the moment and I can't think of any of the other remaining teams having the ability to put it up to them.

.ak wrote: »
    We're looking at one of the best squads ever to play the Heineken cup. Clermont eased through that game. I really hope it's an Ulster v Clermont final because they're the two best teams n Europe at the moment and I can't think of any of the other remaining teams having the ability to put it up to them.

You can't really say that yet, Ulster have to prove themselves by winning this evening. I hope they do it, but certainly Clermont are 1 of the best we've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Extremely generous to Ulster who will only have a chance if Muller, Pienaar and Henry stay fit. The likes of Saracens and Toulon have much stronger squads.

I sincerely hope they win the entire thing but if they want to be considered in the same breath as Clermont, they shouldn't be going away from home in the QF.

Toulon are an all star bunch but showed against monty they're truly inconsistent and average. I also think the majority of Saracens are made up of very average 'safe' players.... Really can't wait for the other game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Toulon are an all star bunch but showed against monty they're truly inconsistent and average. I also think the majority of Saracens are made up of very average 'safe' players.... Really can't wait for the other game now.

They couldn't give a damn about the Monty game because they already had the home QF. Remember Toulon are ahead of Clermont in the top 14. They have many stars. It's wrong to dismiss Saracens players as average too, plenty of quality and internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

I said that Montpellier had no chance in Clermont :D.

Anyway pleased enough with our game. It was almost a perfect copycat of the top 14 game there (36-14 vs 36-18). We started well but slowly Clermont upped their pace and took control of the game. We tried to play but they were just too strong. As expected.

Trinh-Duc early injury annihilated our hopes. I don't want to launch again the Trinh-Duc debate but I found it was pretty obvious today that without him in the team our game has no directions. We kicked the ball when we should have passed it and vice versa, both during defensive and attacking phases. e.g. Clermont "winning" try (the one that makes 29-9) came from a ball we gave back to Clermont.
    We had our chances while 22-9 down when we spent a couple of minutes in Clermont "22" but we just could not pass Clermont defense nor find the creativity to destabilise them.

Overall it is a positive campaign for us. Second participation. Quarter-final. We lost to the favorite's ground. We continue our progression.

Hopefully Trinh-Duc's injury is not too serious. We'll need him for the top 14 final phases.

And to conclude, one word on Clermont. Very impressive team. They look like the Leinster of the 2 previous seasons. Strong everywhere with a quality bench. They can adaot to any kind of game: "close" with the power of their forwards and can develop a very entertaining and efficient passing game. Parra brought them the "cold blood" they were missing for ages. They are still progressing since they won finally their forst top 14 3 years ago. If they manage well the team they should have a bright future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Rightwing wrote: »

With posts like this it's no wonder you're resorting to such tired cliches

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    They couldn't give a damn about the Monty game because they already had the home QF. Remember Toulon are ahead of Clermont in the top 14. They have many stars. It's wrong to dismiss Saracens players as average too, plenty of quality and internationals.

I agree, I also think the leicester tigers are ahead of Ulster. But let's see who progresses. The best 4 will go through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Its an easy and relevant analogy. Can't really see the issue.

Swiwi wrote: »
    MOTM? What do ye reckon. Fofana for me.

Vosloo or rougerie for me. The latter was everywhere.

Vosloo or rougerie for me. The latter was everywhere.

Can't understand why Rougerie was overlooked by France for the 6N.

With posts like this it's no wonder you're resorting to such tired cliches

Drop it.

Can't understand why Rougerie was overlooked by France for the 6N.

He was injured when they first picked the squad, but don't know why he wasn't added later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

He was injured when they first picked the squad, but don't know why he wasn't added later.

Yep, I would go with the provinical duo of Fofana and Rougerie every time, even if I had to turn a blind eye (:pac:) to his RWC final dastardliness.

Advertisement