Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night time routine

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

I can't sleep unless everything is unplugged, I'm pyrophobic cos I lost a best mate few years ago in a house fire. I've never gotten over it so I think you're right to be cautious OP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

This isn't final destination 6: attack of the plugs , you can leave your plugs plugged in and stop worrying.

Sometimes the toaster and the kettle if I think of it which is rarely but nothing else. Feck having to be plugging things back in and its a total waste of time and effort. Also things like the skybox and router need to be plugged it at all times.

I noticed my house mates switch off the cooker all the time when its not in use I find this very strange as we never did that at home, our cookers always have had digital clocks too so switching them off messes up the time and we always used them as our kitchen clock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 kneeler

I remember when electricity was first put in to our house. Plugging anything in and out was such a big ceremony. I think we only had a wireless at first. Everybody would stand around holding their breath as my father put in the plug. Then the radio would come on and everyone would have an inane grin on their face as if they had seen magic. When the radio was over there would be another big ceremony removing the plug and moving it far away from the socket. there would then be a warning about not putting your fingers anywhere near the holse in the socket. At the end of the Rosary we had to say prayers for the electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

kneeler wrote: »
    I remember when electricity was first put in to our house. Plugging anything in and out was such a big ceremony. I think we only had a wireless at first. Everybody would stand around holding their breath as my father put in the plug. Then the radio would come on and everyone would have an inane grin on their face as if they had seen magic. When the radio was over there would be another big ceremony removing the plug and moving it far away from the socket. there would then be a warning about not putting your fingers anywhere near the holse in the socket. At the end of the Rosary we had to say prayers for the electricity.
    OP must be still living in that age :D
    but srly if your that paranoid why not buy them fire alarms with carbon monoxide detection stuff,the bepping sound will wake you up if your in blazes :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

scamalert wrote: »
    OP must be still living in that age :D
    but srly if your that paranoid why not buy them fire alarms with carbon monoxide detection stuff,the bepping sound will wake you up if your in blazes :rolleyes:.

Yes, but by that stage it would be much more difficult to go around unplugging everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

- Every product has a shelf-life. It isnt wise to feed something a current 24/7. Not when it doesnt have to.

Actually the opposite is true. I've worked on servers that have had an uptime of more than five years, and something went wrong on them when it was switched off to add something.

The lights in data centre server rooms are always left on. Constantly turning them on and off shortens the life time of the bulb and those things are expensive.

I could go on but I won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

The only things I leave plugged in are the fridge/freezer and my alarm clock. Everything else gets unplugged as soon as I'm done with it. I couldn't sleep if something was unnecessarily plugged in. Weird, yes.

The only thing I don't leave plugged in is an ancient space heater I sort of inherited. I've no idea how old it is but I'm very suspicious of the enormous cable and the oddly shaped black plug. I could just buy a new one, but I'm strangely attached to that one. Not only would I never leave it plugged in, I'd never leave it unattended while it's on.

Other than that, I plug nothing out. Although I might flick a socket switch off at Xmas if there's an extension lead full of fairy lights plugged into it. I'm paranoid about checking the smoke alarm batteries and testing the things weekly and I have a carbon monoxide detector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

My mother drove me mad when I lived at home.

She wouldn't plug out or turn off one single thing in the whole house, in fact she often went to bed leaving the tv on "for white noise".

But every night at 10pm she would turn off the broadband box because didn't I know that all those scamming criminals hack into broadband boxes throughout the night and use them to extract bank details, did I want her all her money to be wiped or what? This only happens by night though, never by day.

This is the same woman that would have a panic attack if any of us closed the sitting room door because she heard that the heat in the room would suffocate the fish in the fish tank. :pac:

Advertisement