Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saracens v Ulster Rugby 18:30 Saturday April 6th Sky Sports

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Buer wrote: »
    You say you don't underestimate them before going on to do exactly that. They're a very good side; they wouldn't be where they are at the top of the AP and a European semi final is they weren't. Ulster weren't at the races because they weren't allowed. The best line out in Europe took them apart. The second meanest defence of any league in Europe completely strangled Ulster and killed their attacks dead. They took every opportunity that came their way and worked incredibly hard for it. Brad Barritt ran the defence superbly.

Comparisons with previous seasons are moot. That's like saying Ulster are useless because they won nothing in previous seasons when we can see they've been on a steady progression curve. Saracens have recruited very well also. Hargreaves and Ashton are two top class signings this season. Farrell has improved, Vunipola has come through also in the last year. They're a much more confident and experienced side this season.

I agree, Clermont won't have it all their own way regardless of who is in the final. Unlike last season, the best 4 teams look like progressing to the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Rightwing wrote: »
    I agree, Clermont won't have it all their own way regardless of who is in the final. Unlike last season, the best 4 teams look like progressing to the semis.

With the exception of Edinburgh, what do you mean?

.ak wrote: »
    With the exception of Edinburgh, what do you mean?

Last year was very weak, you had the 2 best teams in Europe by a distance in 1 half of the draw, and 2 others who were making up the numbers on the other side..resulting in a very 1 sided final.

This year, regardless of who comes through from any side of the draw, it will be a good final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Rightwing wrote: »
    Last year was very weak, you had the 2 best teams in Europe by a distance in 1 half of the draw, and 2 others who were making up the numbers on the other side..resulting in a very 1 sided final.

This year, regardless of who comes through from any side of the draw, it will be a good final.

Ulster beat Clermont last season and weren't far off in the SMM either.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Ulster beat Clermont last season and weren't far off in the SMM either.

I know, and they have good players, but they are a bit away from being a top team. In fairness to Edinburgh they beat Toulouse as well, but it's being able to put in consistent performances that seperates the top teams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Olding looks like an exceptional natural talent, twice I've seen him come on in games where his side is struggling with the ball(yesterday, England u-20s last season) and its just looked easy for him, he can step off both feet but also switches the ball to different sides so as to have the fend, thats a skill a lot of Irish players lack, most notably Kearney and Gilroy. If you could teach that to Henderson he'd be nigh on unstoppable, he's lethal as it is but carries the ball exclusively in his left arm which is why you see him try that spin move so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

Olding has been a real bright spark the past few months. I'm looking forward to a struggle between him and Marshall for the #12 shirt (or him and Jackson for #10)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

I missed this game but I managed to see one highlight of Ian Henderson just being an absolute beast, handing off second rows for fun. Anyone know where I can find the clip?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

trouttrout wrote: »
    I missed this game but I managed to see one highlight of Ian Henderson just being an absolute beast, handing off second rows for fun. Anyone know where I can find the clip?

Hope a GIF will do, one of the first results when you type Henderson v saracens in google
    henderson.gif

His try was pretty special too

powerful-run-and-try-from-iain-henderson-against-saracens-gifs

If you can't see the above GIFs they are here
    http://balls.ie/rugby/powerful-run-and-try-from-iain-henderson-against-saracens-gifs/

• Administrators Posts: 53,543 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Did we suffer from having so many players out injured recently? A lot of our team only came back last week, could we have done with a few more weeks of game time for them to get up to speed again before that game yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

awec wrote: »
    Did we suffer from having so many players out injured recently? A lot of our team only came back last week, could we have done with a few more weeks of game time for them to get up to speed again before that game yesterday?
    you suffered most from having a fly half so far back from the gain line that he wasn't able to get the backline going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

you suffered most from having a fly half so far back from the gain line that he wasn't able to get the backline going anywhere.

He played flat against Leinster and we ripped them apartt at times so its not as if he cant play flat. I guess when our pack isnt generating quick ball he lies deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Fox Mulder wrote: »
    Frustrating match to watch. Pienarr and Jackson seemed to be having an off day especially with the tactical kicking. Bowe looked a cut above everyone when he came on. Saracens are very much of the mold of the 2007 South Africa team. Henderson carried well today.

I would like to have seen Tommy get closer to Ashton on that try. It would have been hard to stop but he looked a bit rusty there. Even curtailing the swan dive could have been welcome. Hopefully, the cobwebs will disappear in the weeks ahead. It's great to see him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Marshall needs a long break now. Three concussions close together is bad news.
    That lad Olding was very impressive.

Sarries are well organized but so dreary. It would cause me no grief to see Clermont give them a proper hiding, if things work out that way, preferably with a few chips over the defence for Fofana. It's going to be bad for rugby if Sarries somehow manage to win the HC.

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Marshall needs a long break now. Three concussions close together is bad news.
    That lad Olding was very impressive.

Oldings play in the build up to Henderson's try was terrific. The more I see of him the more Im tempted to hype the hell out of him. Remember he only turned 20 a couple of weeks ago.

Imagine Madigan at 10 and Olding at 12. That would be fun to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Olding has been great all year. Very strong in defence as well as sharp going forward, even a few good steps to create and score in previous games.

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Olding has been great all year. Very strong in defence as well as sharp going forward, even a few good steps to create and score in previous games.

The side stepping in the build up to Henderson's try was great but the most impressive thing was that two or three phases he could on the outside of his man in almost BOD like manner (see I'm starting the hype) before throwing an over the head pass to Hendo. Granted he had nothing to lose at that stage but the more I see of him the more I think he should be going to North America in June and not the U20 WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭little173

This is true but they werent helped by the fact that Saracens were offside at pretty much every ruck and didnt get penalised once.

I read Anscombe's comment after the game that he felt his team didnt take enough risks. I thought quite the opposite, i felt they should have just tried to keep pace with Saracens until the last 20, keep it tight and not put youreslf in the position to make errors. The Ulster bench was strong and think that could have made the difference. The lineout was a disaster which doesnt help for sure and the kicking game was just not quite right at times.

Henderson massive postive as were Olding and Bowe off the bench.

Advertisement