Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saracens v Ulster Rugby 18:30 Saturday April 6th Sky Sports

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

facepalm,house-dfb6b5898f5edf288d7fdbdf6bf1edf6_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Aw bless.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Hagz wrote: »
    The out-half and fly-half are both terms used to describe the player who wears no.10 guys. Similar to how a second-row might be called a lock.

Really? Do tell us more..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Couldn't believe Piennar after the game laughing and joking with the Saracens players. Poor form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

decisions wrote: »
    facepalm,house-dfb6b5898f5edf288d7fdbdf6bf1edf6_m.jpg

That's a bit mean in fairness. The guy might be a new fan to the sport and he mightn't have known the the terms etc. Anyway, I've cleared it up for him now.

• Advertisement

slowburner wrote: »
    The way I see it, Ulster had three major weaknesses today:
    No. 10, the out half and the fly half.
    Effectively, Ulster were fourteen against fifteen.

The stand off and the first five eighth were brutal too.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

:pac:

Ah Hagz...

That's a bit mean in fairness. The guy might be a new fan to the sport and he mightn't have known the the terms etc. Anyway, I've cleared it up for him now.

'twas aimed at you actually...

:pac:

durkadurka wrote: »
    The stand off and the first five eighth were brutal too.

Oh dear. Again, those are actually just more terms for the no.10.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

• Advertisement

You're just not getting it are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Not_Sure_if_Serious_meme.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hahah, this is brilliant. I think your humour is being wasted here Hagz...

The things I do to entertain myself when Leinster aren't playing.

Surprises even me sometimes.

Well I still don't think he gets it.

GNkpWG2.jpg

A boxer would be proud of that.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

GNkpWG2.jpg

That today? Hendersons hand off by any chance? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Ulster were unlucky with Saracens first try. But didn't have enough to get over it.

The quick defense from Saracens, Ulster had no answer too. When Plan A wasn't working they went for Plan A and when that didn't work they used Plan A again. I don't think this is solely down to Jackson. You have to take the coach into account. It looked to me that they had the same game plan in the second half.

Why didn't they try to chip over the defense, to keep Saracens honest?

I'd have liked to see Paul M to come in around the 60 minute make, to see if he could make an impact. But that was up to the coach to make a difference. Saracens were able to use their bench more effectively. Not sure if Ulster's coach had confidence in his 16 to 23.

Saracens looked like a solid team, you don't give penalties away in your half and expect Farrell to miss. Ulster did this too many times.

Loved Henderson's break, he looked like a bulldozer going through Saracens defense. But the game was out of reach by then.

Would have loved them progress, but sadly they weren't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

RogerThis wrote: »
    Ulster were unlucky with Saracens first try. But didn't have enough to get over it.

The quick defense from Saracens, Ulster had no answer too. When Plan A wasn't working they went for Plan A and when that didn't work they used Plan A again. I don't think this is solely down to Jackson. You have to take the coach into account. It looked to me that they had the same game plan in the second half.

Why didn't they try to chip over the defense, to keep Saracens honest?

I'd have liked to see Paul M to come in around the 60 minute make, to see if he could make an impact. But that was up to the coach to make a difference. Saracens were able to use their bench more effectively. Not sure if Ulster's coach had confidence in his 16 to 23.

Saracens looked like a solid team, you don't give penalties away in your half and expect Farrell to miss. Ulster did this too many times.

Loved Henderson's break, he looked like a bulldozer going through Saracens defense. But the game was out of reach by then.

Would have loved them progress, but sadly they weren't good enough.
    I think this is a very fair assessment of the match. I was really disappointed with Ulster...they just seemed quite static and were lacking in imagination. Pinnear had a bad day, as did Jackson, and Best seems to have lost his nerve with his darts, but most of the team seemed lethargic, with some exceptions.....for example, Trimble played his heart out, as did Henderson. It's such a pity - it was a great opportunity for Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

They didn't try to chip over the defence because Jackson was in a different time zone to Pienaar he was that deep, would have made ROG blush. You need to be flat to try chip over the rush defence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Pienaar seemed intent on winning the game on his own, between taking almost ever ball into contact or getting into rucks, at one stage there were 4 more phases of play close to the Sarries line and Pienaar was no-where to be seen cause he was still in a ruck. I really thought this year was going to be Ulster's, away form hasn't been best for them down through the years but they got their win in France and after yesterdays game they wouldn't have to leave Ireland for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Very disappointed by the result but I think a lot of people massively underestimated Saracens. They're a bloody good side. So what if they don't hammer in tries or play silky rugby? They win games and that's all that counts. They'd have won all their pool games if it wasn't for a shocking display with the boot by Farrell in Thomond Park. They're now serious contenders for the title.

Ulster badly need to focus themselves and get themselves together for the Pro12 run in. They've won 2 of their last 7 games and if they don't hit a run of form, they won't be winning any silverware. This season and next is their window of opportunity. Afoa and Muller finish up then and Pienaar's contract comes to an end too. Even if they can sign NIQ replacements, it will be near impossible to sign guys who have had as strong an impact on the team as those three have. They've nobody coming through their ranks capable of replacing Afoa and Pienaar. Whilst Henderson will replace Muller, he won't be able to replace him in terms of his role within the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Buer wrote: »
    Very disappointed by the result but I think a lot of people massively underestimated Saracens. They're a bloody good side. So what if they don't hammer in tries or play silky rugby? They win games and that's all that counts. They'd have won all their pool games if it wasn't for a shocking display with the boot by Farrell in Thomond Park. They're now serious contenders for the title.

Ulster badly need to focus themselves and get themselves together for the Pro12 run in. They've won 2 of their last 7 games and if they don't hit a run of form, they won't be winning any silverware. This season and next is their window of opportunity. Afoa and Muller finish up then and Pienaar's contract comes to an end too. Even if they can sign NIQ replacements, it will be near impossible to sign guys who have had as strong an impact on the team as those three have. They've nobody coming through their ranks capable of replacing Afoa and Pienaar. Whilst Henderson will replace Muller, he won't be able to replace him in terms of his role within the squad.

I fully agree. Saracens are a test for anyone.

Disappointed for Ulster, the way the draw worked, it was set up for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

I've decided I don't like going to Twickenham. Beautiful stadium but it doesn't end well for Ulster when we go there. Saracens deserved winners, though Ashton's swan dive royally f*cked me off. I really hope he drops it at some point while doing that. Ulster need to step it up for the end of the Pro12, but there were encouraging signs from Henderson, who looks like the real deal, and the fact that Tommy Bowe is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I don't underestimate Saracens. However, they're just not that good. Clermont took then apart last year in London, and Leinster had their number home and away the year before.

As much as I'd like to say Sarries were great yesterday and it was nothing to do with Ulster I can't. Ulster had a really bad day at the office. Not sure if it was attitude, or just poor tactics, or maybe even just poor execution, but at the end of the day only one side were playing rugby.

In a way, I hope they do make it to Dublin, so I can really sing the montferrand chants like I mean them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPTxfKT0jG8

Tuilagi & Ashton examining the contents of each others handbags.

Now give us a swan dive, Chrissy !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

.ak wrote: »
    I don't underestimate Saracens. However, they're just not that good. Clermont took then apart last year in London, and Leinster had their number home and away the year before.

As much as I'd like to say Sarries were great yesterday and it was nothing to do with Ulster I can't. Ulster had a really bad day at the office. Not sure if it was attitude, or just poor tactics, or maybe even just poor execution, but at the end of the day only one side were playing rugby.

In a way, I hope they do make it to Dublin, so I can really sing the montferrand chants like I mean them.

You say you don't underestimate them before going on to do exactly that. They're a very good side; they wouldn't be where they are at the top of the AP and a European semi final is they weren't. Ulster weren't at the races because they weren't allowed. The best line out in Europe took them apart. The second meanest defence of any league in Europe completely strangled Ulster and killed their attacks dead. They took every opportunity that came their way and worked incredibly hard for it. Brad Barritt ran the defence superbly.

Comparisons with previous seasons are moot. That's like saying Ulster are useless because they won nothing in previous seasons when we can see they've been on a steady progression curve. Saracens have recruited very well also. Hargreaves and Ashton are two top class signings this season. Farrell has improved, Vunipola has come through also in the last year. They're a much more confident and experienced side this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Really disappointed by the result but I love Chris Ashton. Absolute king of trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

First time I have a chance to post on the game.

Ulster lost the game in a lot of ways but you can only beat what is put in front of you and Saracens did that fair play to them.

I thought a rugby game had eight forwards and seven backs so what the hell did Nick Williams think he was doing being an extra member of the back three. I remember three times he caught a highball and then took a few seconds to move in which he was tackled. He didn't maul, he rarely rucked, hell Pienaar spent more time time rucking than he did which left Ulster in trouble with no one to act as SH.

He was terrible off the back of the scrum. He gave away almost all the success that Ulster had from having a good scrum by not controlling the ball off the base being tackled as soon as he moved.

When the scrum is working why did Ulster choose to take so many free kicks??

The Lineout was crap. 60% success rate isn't good enough for a top team in a knockout match. There was one or two times that the throw was obviously poor but the whole package was at fault, lifters and jumpers.

Cave was very quiet, I often forgot that he was on the pitch.

Back three was good, would have been better if Williams wasn't there trying to join them.

Marshall was good and Olding was impressive when he came on.

Jackson was so deep for most of the match. He can play flat and he do very well when he plays flat.

Court, Afoa, Henderson, Henry, Diack, Marshall, Gilroy, Payne, Trimble, Marshall, Olding, and Bowe all had good games but others didn't impress to the same degree.

Advertisement