Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smoking in house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

You run a tight ship

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

but what if the op sons say **** this and leaves the house:o all fun and games till the son disowns the parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Calgary22 wrote: »
    but what if the op sons say **** this and leaves the house:o all fun and games till the son disowns the parent.

He's 18. If he gets a job, he will realise that min wage doesn't go far and will want to continue college for a better career choice. If he goes on the dole, that is only 100e and that'll go even less, he'll be hone even faster. He has to learn the value of a Euro and more importantly, the value of a hard working parent doing their best for him. Surely a bit of respect, which costs nothing, is not too much to ask. If he won't listen to one rule, whats to say he won't go further and start smoking all over the house, leaving the place in a mess. Smoking leaves a terrible smell everywhere. Everyone will have to live with HIS choice to smoke, that's not fair on the other occupants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Ah the good ol "Im moving out' :D

Well, that son is in for a rude awakening. The big bad world is far more difficult than mammys house rules. Time to grow up, If this kid is old enough to smoke he's old enough to act like an adult. If he wants to act like a spoilt brat the parent should treat him accordingly.

There is absolutely NO defence for anyone in this situation. None

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

LOL i just had flashbacks its great to be that age though in fairness:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

LOL i just had flashbacks its great to be that age though in fairness:D

Jesus, I hated it with a passion. I would probably do it differently were I back there again. I was far too well behaved!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

I'm 19 and have been funding my own entire life since I got a job. My parents said themselves that they didn't have the money to get me through college so I work at the weekends when I come home and I'll be working two jobs during the summer. I pay for my own food, phone credit, travel costs and had to take out a loan to pay for my accommodation in Cork.

And it's people like your son who drive me crazy.

He's completely taking you for granted and ignoring the fact that if you weren't there, he'd have no money for anything. Whilst I think that taking his door off is a bit extreme, paying his bus fare/giving him lunch and the bare minimum might be a good idea. He's had it fairly cushy. Even telling him that you literally cannot afford to keep him and even then he's disrespecting you might strike some sort of cord within him.

If not, take the door off because you sound like you're a great parent to be honest and he's completely taking it for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Good for the son.

He's 18, why shouldn't he leave the house.

If he is immature enough to 'disown' his parents (that would never happen) for something as trivial as them asking him to show them a small bit of respect, then I think it would do him the world of good to leave the house and see how difficult it is to survive on your own- he'd soon mature.

There are summer jobs- get out an look for one !!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lOWCOUNTRY

The O/p should ban her son from smoking, anywhere at any time. Smokinfg is very bad for the health and also the health of others who inhale it. No child should be allowed to smoke by the parents.

Advertisement