Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Wives Tales!!

Options

Comments

Neadine wrote: »
    Isn't there also something about birds in the house, as in a wild bird flying in, not your pet budgie!

Thats bad luck because they'll sh!t on everything as they do a fly-by.

There's no putting a positive spin on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

If you don't 'air' your laundry well you'll get pneumatic arthritis :eek:

(OK, I made that last phrase up, but you get the idea...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Isn't there also something about birds in the house, as in a wild bird flying in, not your pet budgie!
    A swallow flew into my house and was panicking against the window so I picked it up and helped it get out.

Was told later that there's an old Korean story about a poor disinherited brother who mends a swallow's broken leg and next season it brings him back seeds that grow into enormous pumpkins full of treasure.

That was last summer, fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

New shoes on the table brings death in the family.

I'd come home with shopping bags, plonk them on the table and my mam would shout 'hope there's no shoes in there!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

If you don't 'air' your laundry well you'll get pneumatic arthritis :eek:

(O, I made that last phrase up, but you get the idea...)

How does one adequately, and sufficiently, air ones laundry to prevent such an ailment and affliction?

• Advertisement

humbert wrote: »
    A swallow flew into my house and was panicking against the window so I picked it up and helped it get out.

Was told later that there's an old Korean story about a poor disinherited brother who mends a swallow's broken leg and next season it brings him back seeds that grow into enormous pumpkins full of treasure.

That was last summer, fingers crossed.

That sounds amazing, will tentatively be waiting for updates. (Updates regarding the arrival of summer this year would also be good!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

orestes wrote: »
    So don't get women wet while they're on their periods? I thought that was mogwais?

Pretty sure women don't multiply like a mogwais does when they get wet

I'd come home with shopping bags, plonk them on the table and my mam would shout 'hope there's no shoes in there!!'

Ok, so new shoes are specifically more detrimental to someone's life span.

I feel like I'm learning so much, it's almost like an entirely Irish Fingsui class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

Every sperm is Sacred.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Find a penny...................:D

• Advertisement

Weevil wrote: »
    Every sperm is Sacred.....?

It is?? Really?? :confused:

Smidge wrote: »
    Find a penny...................:D

And... then??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

The bad luck for breaking a mirror one started centuries ago when if a slave broke a master's mirror it would take roughly 7 years wages to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Eating cheese before bed will give you nightmares! I used to ear blocks of it to prove the folks wrong and even then they'd insist it was true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

And... then??

Pick it up, later on you'll get a f*ck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

And... then??

I thought everyone knew this one that's why I didn't finish it :D

You basic make yourself search the ground for lost coins(preferably pennies/cents)and try not to look like a down and out whilst collecting these coins in the hope of having good luck all day.

KKkitty wrote: »
    The bad luck for breaking a mirror one started centuries ago when if a slave broke a master's mirror it would take roughly 7 years wages to pay for it.

I knew thee had to be at least a little bit of logic behind some of them.

Pick it up, later on you'll get a f*ck!

Will now to eternity be scanning for discarded pennies!

I knew thee had to be at least a little bit of logic behind some of them.

Most old wives tales are more lunacy than logic though. They must have been afraid of nearly everything back then.

KKkitty wrote: »
    Most old wives tales are more lunacy than logic though. They must have been afraid of nearly everything back then.

I agree, but the fear must initially have stemmed from someplace/something.

• Advertisement

'Find a penny, pick it up
    All day long
    you'll have good luck.

Pass it on
    to a friend
    and your luck
    will never end'

also:

'See a penny, pick it up
    All day long you'll have good luck.

Make a wish and throw it away
    to bless another and make their day'

Candie wrote: »
    'Find a penny, pick it up
    All day long
    you'll have good luck.

Pass it on
    to a friend
    and your luck
    will never end'

also:

'See a penny, pick it up
    All day long you'll have good luck.

Make a wish and throw it away
    to bless another and make their day'

Aw, that's kinda sweet.

Witchcraft, pure coincidence maybe and not as many ways as there is now of finding out the truth behind some old wives tales.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Fear of the unknown, fear of what you can't explain. In the modern world we have more answers.

Aw, that's kinda sweet.

Yes, a sort of pay-it-forward thing.

I do it with the Euro you put in the shopping trolley, on two occasions I was given one when I was rooting in my purse and couldn't find a euro coin, and now I make a point of paying it forward when I see someone do the same. I'm making the world a better place via the medium of shopping trolleys :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

If a robin flies into the house there will be a death in the family.

I just got a new pair of shoes today, went to put them on the table and even though I'm not even slightly superstitious I couldn't bring myself to do it, we were always told it was bad luck no deaths!

Also break a mirror and you'll have 7 years bad luck.

If you drop a knife it means a man will come to the house, fork for a woman and spoon for a child, atleast I think how it goes.

Get a baby christened early as settles it.

If you spill milk on your floor you should bless your self 3 times and shake pepper on it while humming home on the range otherwise any milk you buy for a year will curdle as soon as you bring it into the house.*

*i may have completely fabricated this.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    If a robin flies into the house there will be a death in the family.

I just got a new pair of shoes today, went to put them on the table and even though I'm not even slightly superstitious I couldn't bring myself to do it, we were always told it was bad luck no deaths!

Also break a mirror and you'll have 7 years bad luck.

If you drop a knife it means a man will come to the house, fork for a woman and spoon for a child, atleast I think how it goes.

Get a baby christened early as settles it.

If you spill milk on your floor you should bless your self 3 times and shake pepper on it while humming home on the range otherwise any milk you buy for a year will curdle as soon as you bring it into the house.*

*i may have completely fabricated this.

Nooooo, really? It sounds so plausible!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Don't listen to old wives, bunch of lying old biddies.

OneArt wrote: »
    Don't listen to old wives, bunch of lying old biddies.

But they had so much to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

The pregnant woman one about raising your arms above your head is apparently to do with blood pressure. Don't know how true it is but at my exercise classes the instructor gives me other things to do with my arms if the routine calls for arms above the head.

Being pregnant you get loads of old wives tales. The way you are carrying can tell the sex, if you get bad teeth during pregnancy it's more likely to be a boy, putting your wedding ring on a chain and twirling it above your bump can tell the sex, putting a bowl of water under your bed can cure leg cramps you get a night.

Advertisement