Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Wives Tales!!

Options
  • 05-04-2013 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

A friend of my parents recently told me it was "DANGEROUS" to go to bed/sleep with wet hair, the only danger I can see is the possibility of waking up with bad hair.
    Any other strange things that you have been told?
    Also, are theses things exclusively Irish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

If you make a cross eyed face and someone gives you a fright you'll stay that way forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Bad luck to walk under a ladder.

If you made a face and the wind changed it would stay like that!

Breaking mirrors, putting brollys up inside the house, hats on the bed, all those things are meant to bring bad luck, and I've done all of them and...

Oh.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

If you made a face and the wind changed it would stay like that!

Is that what happened to you? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Candie wrote: »
    Breaking mirrors, putting brollys up inside the house, hats on the bed, all those things are meant to bring bad luck, and I've done all of them and...

Oh.:(

Never heard anything about hats on a bed, I'm pretty sure there is at least one on my bed right now.... it explains so much. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

eating before going to bed will make you fat
    eating fat will make you fat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Neadine wrote: »
    A friend of my parents recently told me it was "DANGEROUS" to go to bed/sleep with wet hair, the only danger I can see is the possibility of waking up with bad hair.
    Any other strange things that you have been told?
    Also, are theses things exclusively Irish?

Old Wives and wet in the one post, I'm in.

Never heard anything about hats on a bed, I'm pretty sure there is at least one on my bed right now.... it explains so much. :rolleyes:

No point in running to get it off, it's too late now. All downhill from here :(

I've heard that pregnant women shouldn't raise their arms above their heads, but I've never heard the 'logic' behind it.

The magpie one really bugs me, but most of them are just crazy superstitions with no basis in reality at all.

Apart from the salt over your left shoulder to keep the devil at bay. That one's true. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

More of an old wives remedy:

I remember my grandmother would use a Bible to thump the wrist if anyone had a ganglion cyst. Absolute senseless, but that didn't stop her. :)

http://pages.uoregon.edu/esorens1/hphy362.pbwiki.com/f/ganglion%20cyst.jpg

No point in running to get it off, it's too late now. All downhill from here :(

I've heard that pregnant women shouldn't raise their arms above their heads, but I've never heard the 'logic' behind it.

The magpie one really bugs me, but most of them are just crazy superstitions with no basis in reality at all.

Apart from the salt over your left shoulder to keep the devil at bay. That one's true. :P

Course it is, everyone knows that salt makes the devil.... melt or something! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Don't wash your hair when having your period, wtf was that one about? Ah sure, ya might as well stay a greasy mess, ya won't be getting the ride anyway! :pac:

IrishExpat wrote: »
    More of an old wives remedy:

I remember my grandmother would use a Bible to thump the wrist if anyone had a ganglion cyst. Absolute senseless, but that didn't stop her. :)

http://pages.uoregon.edu/esorens1/hphy362.pbwiki.com/f/ganglion%20cyst.jpg

And how successful was that for your gran?!

I've heard of people doing all sorts of weird and wonderful things to get rid of warts.

I remember my grandmother would use a Bible to thump the wrist if anyone had a ganglion cyst. Absolute senseless. :)

Especially if the ganglion was on your knee.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Eating before you swim will give you cramps.

humbert wrote: »

I always thought it would cause you to drown, or something equally terrifying!

You drowned because you can't swim when you have cramps.

Obviously.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

I know full well, logically that the number of magpies means nothing, zilch ...

but if I'm alone and I see a single magpie, I'll still say 'hello Mr. Magpie'.

Someone else please admit to it. :)

Obviously.;)

Hmmmmm, so the eating causes cramps, and the cramps hinder my ability to swim, which results in drowning?
    How am I doing?:eek:

Sorry, you're on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Kxiii wrote: »
    Is that what happened to you? :P

Yep I made an incredibly attractive and beautiful face and oh deary me it stuck!

I am now cursed and will be forever ridiculously good looking

:pac:

• Advertisement

Isn't there also something about birds in the house, as in a wild bird flying in, not your pet budgie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Obviously.;)

What's the hat on the bed thing?

Never heard that one before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Hmmmmm, so the eating causes cramps, and the cramps hinder my ability to swim, which results in drowning?
    How am I doing?:eek:
    While I don't think it's impossible for eating to give you stomach cramps, it's not typical. I don't think there's any relationship between eating + exercise and getting cramps. Not claiming to be an expert though.

Smidge wrote: »
    What's the hat on the bed thing?

Never heard that one before

Its very dangerous. If you put a hat on the bed it means you'll argue with the person you get into the bed with. And their willy will drop off from the stress, or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

**** makkes youo bluinbd. waht s laod of crapp.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

When u sneeze you have to say god bless me to put bring the devil back in
    Apparently the sneeze is devil escaping

Sitting too close to telly gives you square eyes

Do you not know you're meant to salute to it too?

You've been doing it wrong! Has your luck been terrible?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Its very dangerous. If you put a hat on the bed it means you'll argue with the person you get into the bed with. And their willy will drop off from the stress, or something.

Jaysus, don't say that.

There will be women all over Ireland right now running to find a hat of any description to put on the bed:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

spankysue wrote: »
    Don't wash your hair when having your period, wtf was that one about?
    humbert wrote: »

So don't get women wet while they're on their periods? I thought that was mogwais?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

If you pick up a Dandelion AKA (piss in the beds) you will piss in the bed that night :D

It just goes to show you the mental state of people back in the day, they were all insane and some still are coming up with idiotic sayings like these.

Advertisement