Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So my company terminated my employment, then asked me to complete an employee survey

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Not true. Not true at all. A job can give you any kind of reference they want. If they put a bad one in writing, they'd better be able to back it up, and avoid any confidential disclosures, but on a verbal basis, they can tell the whole truth and land you back in the positions wanted section every day.
    Oh no they can't. Verbal reference is no difference. If somebody says something about you to a potential employer they want to be very secure in their position. If you ever suspect somebody is giving you a bad reference get a friend to ring up and do a check. If they say anything they shouldn't you have grounds to sue.

Most references are very limited now due to the liability it brings. Many companies will only say when you worked there and your job title. A bad reference is normally a complete absence of information but as many are now so basic it doesn't come into play anymore. General policies are to not given written references.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Oh no they can't. Verbal reference is no difference. If somebody says something about you to a potential employer they want to be very secure in their position. If you ever suspect somebody is giving you a bad reference get a friend to ring up and do a check. If they say anything they shouldn't you have grounds to sue.

Most references are very limited now due to the liability it brings. Many companies will only say when you worked there and your job title. A bad reference is normally a complete absence of information but as many are now so basic it doesn't come into play anymore. General policies are to not given written references.

Companies will be very vague if giving you a poor reference because you are allowed see any reference a company provides for you after employment. They must provide at least a statement saying they employed you and depending how long you worked there it looks extremely bad for a company if they kept a person for say 3 or 4 years and now want to give them a poor reference.

In fact I would advise anybody who has used a previous employers reference to obtain a copy from whatever HR department they provided it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Whether he does it or not a job can't give you a bad reference
    There is no obligation to give a 'good reference', you have to be factual.

A 'bad reference' can simply state how long a person worked with a company and their role. A 'good reference' will give positive information - punctual, efficient etc. Any potential employer can read between the lines.

Op, I would fill in the survery in a positive a way as possible. You might need a recommendation in the future. If you're pissed off now, which is understandable, wait a couple of days and then do it.

Best of luck, I hope you find work soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

I wasn't dismissed. I was hired on a six month contract which they renewed twice. The company I work for aren't doing very well so are outing all their contract staff. The survey thing was sent out to everyone in the company. It's just a bit insensitive to terminate my contract by using a generic letter then send me a employee satisfaction survey in the same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I wasn't dismissed. I was hired on a six month contract which they renewed twice. The company I work for aren't doing very well so are outing all their contract staff. The survey thing was sent out to everyone in the company. It's just a bit insensitive to terminate my contract by using a generic letter then send me a employee satisfaction survey in the same day.
    Did the letter and survey originate from the same department? It's possible that they were sent by different people, both unaware of the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

They sacked you by mail? Have you been given notice at least?

I would just continue to turn up for work and if someone makes a comment about it just say "Sacked? I didn't get any letter".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Fill the form out like this guy did.

Advertisement