Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Wasps v Leinster Rugby 8pm Friday the 5th of April Sky Sports

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If you hear unsavoury stuff, report it to a steward. I don't think Irish rugby fans are a racist bunch tbh and if one of them starts up with crap then he'll get shut up fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/s96.htm?98,13951307

Not nice comments about Leinster fans on Wasps forum.

Sincerely hope there's no truth in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Meh...there is always an element of unsavoury people in any crowd and there is always someone ready to make a big deal out of it. I couldn't care less to be honest, though I imagine they are overreacting absurdly.

I think that saying Leinster fans were doing monkey chants is going a bit far.The normal level of stupidity is to be expected but accusation of racism are a bit too much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think that saying Leinster fans were doing monkey chants is going a bit far.The normal level of stupidity is to be expected but accusation of racism are a bit too much.

Maybe some of them where (though I doubt it).

Honestly, I treat people moaning about opposition fans about the same as I treat the inevitable idiots in any crowd - I ignore them. I'm not sure there has been a game in the history or rugby where someone hasn't moaned about the opposition fans afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Wasps fan being sensationalist. To hear some fans "oo oo" and automatically interpreting it as Leinster fans making monkey noises is a big leap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

"Was in the terrace myself and the chants came from wasps fans I think. Not monkey chants but just excited ooo ooos.. After wades second try. I did think it could be interpreted as monkey chants. Pretty sure it wasn't though. Leinster fans were a good laugh but also showed respect for kicker etc"

It appears to be Wasp fan against Wasp fan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I also see yet more complaining on the Wasps forum about the "choke tackle" and how negative it is. Jaco had a good rant about the stupidity of the argument a while back, I just don't understand it.. should we outlaw tackling so we get more try-fests like last night? I also don't understand why more teams don't implement it while it's still legal, even if you don't turn the ball over it gives your defensive line some time to regroup

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Reading that thread a lot of those guys do not have a clue, one lad was complaining about the maul ???? Its like they are trying to turn the game into rugby league???

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Jesus, I know I'm a Leinster fan and biased, but I could never imagine any leinster fan chanting monkey calls like that, especially the travelling fan. If that happened near me I'd be making my opinion known and loudly. Just wouldn't happen. I think the Wasps fans are just sore, they were outperformed on the pitch but off the pitch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The guy on the Wasps forum either mistook something or is outright lying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Accusations of racism from the team (well player) a few years ago. Fans this year. :eek: :P

I wouldn't be horribly surprised if there were monkey noises. I doubt it's legitimate racism either, just a couple of idiots in the terraces copying what they see in other sports trying to be funny. It happens; lets just hope it doesn't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

was at the match in the stand but didn't hear any abuse...was right behind the Leinster subs.
    The wasps fans around us were great tbh, the guys beside us were very knowledgeable and we had a great time with them. Only one wasps fan near us kept moaning about the ref but tbh that's usually me.

However, there were three leinster fans (one with an Irish country accent, one with a Irish/English west country accent and the third with a very plummy english accent) right behind us who were increasingly boorish as the match went on...very very drunk. They were calling the fans singing "allez les bleus" twats, swearing non stop with f that and stupid c that. belching during the silences for kicks and chanting leinster leinster during the silences for the kick, thinking this was the height of witty repartee...eventually turned around to have a word with them when a wasps fan got there first...they were all in their late thirties/early forties..I was ****ing mortified to have them associated with us tbh.

oh and the game was good too

RuggieBear wrote: »
    was at the match in the stand but didn't hear any abuse...was right behind the Leinster subs.
    The wasps fans around us were great tbh, the guys beside us were very knowledgeable and we had a great time with them. Only one wasps fan near us kept moaning about the ref but tbh that's usually me.

However, there were three leinster fans (one with an Irish country accent, one with a Irish/English west country accent and the third with a very plummy english accent) right behind us who were increasingly boorish as the match went on...very very drunk. They were calling the fans singing "allez les bleus" twats, swearing non stop with f that and stupid c that. belching during the silences for kicks and chanting leinster leinster during the silences for the kick, thinking this was the height of witty repartee...eventually turned around to have a word with them when a wasps fan got there first...they were all in their late thirties/early forties..I was ****ing mortified to have them associated with us tbh.

oh and the game was good too

A patch of pricks will grow from the even most perfect seeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

Plenty of knobs in the Leinster travelling ranks. A row broke out at the semi last year between a couple of older enough lads sitting beside each other. They were at each other all match with elbows into ribs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

don't believe for second that there were racist chants

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

yep it's just a function of the amount being drunk tbh...brings out the worst in some.

There were dozens of leinster fans having a great time with wasps fans all around us...you just remember the three twats making you feel embarrassed, not the hundreds having a blast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Love that pass to D'Arcy for his try.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Pretty sure the "monkey chants" were chants of Isa, Isa, Isa. After the tries the Wasps scored down the King Terrace end we made as much noise for the lads as possible because they were right in front of us. Isa was always there too and with him leaving there was a lot of Isa chanting going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

ConFurioso wrote: »
    Love that pass to D'Arcy for his try.

The quality of that video is so rubbish it's barely watchable. Considering Sky broadcast the game in full HD, what is the reason for Leinster putting up such a crap video?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

danthefan wrote: »
    The quality of that video is so rubbish it's barely watchable. Considering Sky broadcast the game in full HD, what is the reason for Leinster putting up such a crap video?

Bandwidth issues on their site possibly?

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    Bandwidth issues on their site possibly?

Yeah but they host it on youtube as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah but they host it on youtube as well.

Might be Sky being a bit sticky about putting high quality clips on Yutube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Are the highlights for this game up anywhere? Thanks.

Interesting behind the scenes stuff from the game.

http://www.ercrugby.com/matchdaytv

Are the highlights for this game up anywhere? Thanks.

Not great quality tho. LTV...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

.ak wrote: »
    Interesting behind the scenes stuff from the game.

http://www.ercrugby.com/matchdaytv

love joe at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

love joe at the end

Was quite keen on wade wasn't he.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

durkadurka wrote: »
    Was quite keen on wade wasn't he.

He would be useful in a blue shirt, his defence ain't great but that speed is something else.

Interesting how sober the players are after the win. Good attitude, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

love joe at the end

What was it Heaslip said, was a bit indistinct. Sounded like "****ing yes!".

Advertisement