Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths get 15 years for murder of feminist activist in Mexico

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Again, how is this relevant to us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Why are people reacting so weirdly to this thread. AH is not the "Irish only news" forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Why are people reacting so weirdly to this thread. AH is not the "Irish only news" forum.

Ah people just like to moan on here, mostly for thanks too I reckon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Again? I don't follow?

I'm posting this story because it moved me - I wasn't aware only stories from Ireland, the UK and North Korea are allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

OP, you might want to rename the thread to "Youths get 15 years for murder of feminist activist in Mexico". This might just keep the intelligentsia out, I'll start a thread on "Eating Your Own Snot: Yes, or No?" to further distract em.

• Advertisement

OP, you might want to rename the thread to "Youths get 15 years for murder of feminist activist in Mexico". This might just keep the intelligentsia out, I'll start a thread on "Eating Your Own Snot: Yes, or No?" to further distract em.

I hear you, DH but I'll keep it this way for now. If some people come on here and read the link - if it makes them think for one moment of the wider world and the injustice there, well & good. If, however, they find the subject matter too much to handle, they are still able to post inane comments to demonstrate their affable laddishness.

Violence towards women is a global thing, not just confined to Ireland and the UK. People are very quick to discuss it on other threads but if they wasnt to act the maggot here... up to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Haha made me laugh

I was in New Mexico USA some years ago and told one of my co workers I was thinking of visiting Mexico for the weekend. Juarez is just the other side of the border to El Paso. He nearly choked on his cornflakes and warned me never to think about going there. It is one of the most crime ridden places on earth.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Because if it were to happen in Ireland, they'd get a slap on the wrist and told not to be bold again.

Nice to see people treated as criminals, regardless of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

old hippy wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-22016263

I was not aware of the scale of violence towards women in Cuidad Jarez.

As it happens the female victims of the violence in Ciudad Juarez get more international publicity than the vast majority of the victims (who happen to be male).

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Terry1985

Because there's hundreds of thousands of people dying each day.

Ireland can only bailout Europe, it'll be a while before we can solve Latin Americas problems too.

In the meantime maybe we can sign a petition, hold hands and thank each other for pretending to be upset by it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's a problem with huge violence against everyone in Juarez. No reason to think women would be excluded. Between the unfortunate banality of the event and the adequate sentencing of the culprits, there's not much to comment on .

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    A pretty shocking story from a country that has seen so many shocking murders for god knows how long. This story highlights how cheap life has become in a country that murder is reported everyday. People in this country should understand that there is a whole world outside this little island of ours. You would want to be totally uncaring not to be moved by this human tragedy.
    Working in the States back in the 8o's I met workers from Mexico who just kept their head down and worked hard never complaining. Just like ourselves they were probably Illegal trying to make a few bob to send home. When I think of the few I got to know it is hard to believe they came from such a violent country as they were such quite people.

They were probably amazed you were from Ireland as you never once tried to kneecap them or blow them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

you never once tried to kneecap them or blow them up.

we don't know that

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    No they were a lot smarter than that, some of them knew Irish people who were doing charity work in their villages. They had great respect for me as I respected them.

But not enough not to assume they'd be violent assholes just because they happened to come from Mexico?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Apparently a drunken fight that got out of hand
    There, they reportedly got into an argument, with the three youths claiming they were members of a criminal gang and Ms Chavez telling them she was an undercover policewoman.
    The three told police they panicked, thinking she may inform on them.
    They said they covered Ms Chavez's face in sticky tape until she suffocated and cut off her hand to make her murder look like a gangland execution.
    It's terrible though that murder would be an option for kids to get out of trouble.

Mod

Idiotic posts deleted. If you're not interested - there are plenty of other threads available to you.

Don't be a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭tritium

Maybe I'm just getting desensitised as I get older but I'm struggling with this one

Basically a woman, who unrelatedly happened to be an activist, wa murdered by drunken teens who panicked. Said murderers were caught, convicted and are now in jail. What's the talking point again?

Mexico has massive, often drug related violence. Seven men were murdered there and their bodies left slumped in plastic chairs in the town square in the past week or so! So forgive me op but I think I'm more concerned about the killers who are still out there and who will happily kill again.

I mourn for this victim like any other, but respectfully I think you need to reconsider whether it's appropriate given the blatant and gender indiscriminate slaughter we've seen in Mexico in the last few years to use this incident as a rallying point for gender violence

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭keithb93

why would anyone pretend to be undercover police after a group of drunk people told them they were part of a criminal gang? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

There's a problem with huge violence against everyone in Juarez. No reason to think women would be excluded. Between the unfortunate banality of the event and the adequate sentencing of the culprits, there's not much to comment on .

Aye, it's one of the most dangerous cities in the world. The yearly murder statistics are ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

25,000 people were murdered in Mexico last year. In count terms this is the third highest in the world after Brazil and India both of which have much larger populations.
    But still Mexico only has the 25th highest rate of murder (per 100k) in the world.

The killing described in this article is just one of many in that country.
    Sad as it is, is not an international news story in my opinion so not sure why we have a thread on it.

• Advertisement

25,000 people were murdered in Mexico last year. In count terms this is the third highest in the world after Brazil and India both of which have much larger populations.
    But still Mexico only has the 25th highest rate of murder (per 100k) in the world.

The killing described in this article is just one of many in that country.
    Sad as it is, is not an international news story in my opinion so not sure why we have a thread on it.

To make people aware? Why is, say, the murder of 6 kids in the UK more or less worthy than this story? Why is one of international interest and not the other?

Not having a go, just curious.

Murdering your own children for money displays a morbidly fascinating character; killing a cop is nothing we don't see every day of the week.

Murdering your own children for money displays a morbidly fascinating character; killing a cop is nothing we don't see every day of the week.

Not interesting enough, hmm? Ok, well, I tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

To make people aware? Why is, say, the murder of 6 kids in the UK more or less worthy than this story? Why is one of international interest and not the other?

The 6 kids murder is a very unusual tragedy and has an irish link which helps get us interested on this side of the pond.

Purely from a tabloid perspective it had sex, drugs, benefits sponger, man with 17 kids, two 'wives' in same house, previous TV appearances by the parents etc.... Very unusual set up and more than enough to peak the interest.
    It also happened in a 1st world country where murder rates are low and child murder is very rare.

The Mexican story is one of many similar stories that sadly come out of that country. Indeed some of the murders over there are more newsworthy in terms of how the bodies are left as a warning to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Why is, say, the murder of 6 kids in the UK more or less worthy than this story?

Why is the murder of a feminist activist more or less worthy of a thread on here (or a BBC news article) than one on any particular male victim of the violence, especially considering men make up a hugely disproportionate majority of the victims?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭SeanW

OP: why is this a gender issue? People (both men and women) are murdered all the time in Juarez city for little or no reason. The circumstances, from what I've read, easily dicate the victim could have been a man it would have made no difference to the murderers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

SeanW wrote: »
    OP: why is this a gender issue? People (both men and women) are murdered all the time in Juarez city for little or no reason. The circumstances, from what I've read, easily dicate the victim could have been a man it would have made no difference to the murderers?

The rape and murder of women in that town is notorious, even in mexico. You might do some research on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

As people already pointed out about UK one.

one I find fascinating is how a rape in India will set boards off like wild fire yet this Mexican murder doesn't.

maybe it comes down to that we don't really know anything about Mexico, central America and south America, though we'd have at least a little information on former countries of the British empire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Speaking for myself. I get quite bored of opening up the forum to headlines about some morbid shít that happened over the other side of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Oranage2 wrote: »
    As people already pointed out about UK one.

one I find fascinating is how a rape in India will set boards off like wild fire yet this Mexican murder doesn't.

maybe it comes down to that we don't really know anything about Mexico, central America and south America, though we'd have at least a little information on former countries of the British empire.

I think a woman getting on a bus in a busy city and being gang raped, then killed by having a metal bar rammed up her anus repeatedly would register on a great number of radars.

Advertisement