Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar fights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

There's a bar in Dublin that has undergone a kind of make-over where it's now a Craft Beer type of joint and seems to be doing well. My O/H's brother and a couple of his mates went in for a few beers about 6 weeks ago and about an hour or so into the evening a bloke wanders in completely off his head on God knows what, staggers around the bar for a couple of minutes then decides a corner is as good a place as any to have a slash. Barman goes over to run him out and the bloke turns on the him and starts knocking the crap out of him. O/H's brother and a mate try to pull the bloke off the barman and end up getting more of the same but eventually the Guards show up and drag the bloke out. O/H's brother ends up in Casualty with a gash on his head, a black eye and facial bruising. He had to be rostered off work for a week until the bruising faded.
    Sometimes it's just not worth being the good Samaritan but he's the kind of bloke who can't stand by & watch a fella getting flaked.
    FTA69 wrote: »
    The worst scraps I've seen are the ones that kick off outside the venue when two different groups go at each other over something that occurred earlier inside.
    Used to live in Ranelagh in the 90's and post-Nightowls on a Saturday night was Punchfest '97 - the absolute worst ones were the girls tearing the hair out of each other but I did see a bloke produce a sword once.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

washiskin wrote: »
    Sometimes it's just not worth being the good Samaritan but he's the kind of bloke who can't stand by & watch a fella getting flaked.

That's the thing, if it was a quiet bar and you saw someone getting a kicking you'd be inclined to help, or at least want to, but then you could wind up being worse off, I've not idea if I could handle myself in a fight, not really in a rush to find out either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

There's a bar in Dublin that has undergone a kind of make-over where it's now a Craft Beer type of joint and seems to be doing well. My O/H's brother and a couple of his mates went in for a few beers about 6 weeks ago and about an hour or so into the evening a bloke wanders in completely off his head on God knows what, staggers around the bar for a couple of minutes then decides a corner is as good a place as any to have a slash. Barman goes over to run him out and the bloke turns on the him and starts knocking the crap out of him. O/H's brother and a mate try to pull the bloke off the barman and end up getting more of the same but eventually the Guards show up and drag the bloke out. O/H's brother ends up in Casualty with a gash on his head, a black eye and facial bruising. He had to be rostered off work for a week until the bruising faded.

Fair play to him for trying to aid the barman. Normally I'd advise not getting involved in random altercations but nobody should stand by and watch an innocent youngfella at work get done in by some scumbag. The thing is though, the vast majority of people will.

I've seen literally hundreds of fights, featuring a lot of serious assaults and despite the posturings of many people about what they would and wouldn't do; the vast majority will stand idly by and watch someone else take a beating.

Used to live in Ranelagh in the 90's and post-Nightowls on a Saturday night was Punchfest '97 - the absolute worst ones were the girls tearing the hair out of each other but I did see a bloke produce a sword once.

Jesus the women are always tickets. A buddy of mine used to work in Funderland and these two young ones ripped into each other to the point their hair was tangled up in each other's rings and the two of them were unable to fight because they were literally stuck to each other. They'd to bring them up to the office and cut the hair off them with a scissors. Not to mention when dangling ear-rings get ripped out.

I once turned away a group of less than desirable people and while debating where to go next, an argument broke out and escalated to the point one woman said to another "shut your f*cking mouth or I'll kick that child out of ya!" Priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

krudler wrote: »
    Seen a few, a few years ago went for a couple of drinks after work as it was a nice summer evening, was early enough about 7pm, bar in the city centre in Limerick thats now closed. anyhoo, sitting down the back chatting away to the lads, then this group of 5 or 6 rough as fcuk looking guys in their 30s/40s stroll in, bar is empty aside from us and them, two other guys walk in and are standing at the bar chatting away when one of the rough lads goes up and orders a round, says something to one of the guys at the bar then starts shouting at him, never heard what it was about but the next thing fists and glasses are flying, one of the rough guys goes and pulls the pub door shut so we just thought fcuk this and walked out the back as it had a smoking area that led into an alley.
    Next thing the barman and the two lads come legging out and a chair flies out the door after them. We go around the front and look into the window and the places is being destroyed, chairs flung at the bottles behind the bar, till being ripped out, was absolutely nuts, three squad cars and a paddywagon arrive a few mins later and cart them off, one of the guards was busted open as well.
    Found out afterwards one of the lads who kicked off had just gotten out of jail THAT DAY and they were bolloxed drunk from being out since on the lash.

Nevermind, I see that Kaiser got in there before me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

these two young ones ripped into each other to the point their hair was tangled up in each other's rings and the two of them were unable to fight because they were literally stuck to each other. They'd to bring them up to the office and cut the hair off them with a scissors.

lol:D i can just picture it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Doom wrote: »
    I seen a massive cat fight in a pub in limerick city a few years ago, its was nuts, tuffs of hair been pulled out, When I lived in limerick it was regular enough in some pubs...seen a couple of big ones at the old taxi ranks on Shannon St.

I blame Francis for allowing people jump the queue :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

NothingMan wrote: »
    Best drunk fight I ever saw was at a nite link stop about 6 years ago. One drunken scummy looking guy screaming and abusing a very well presented small (most likely gay) guy, who happened to be holding a pizza.
    The scum bag kept getting in his face and shoving him as the guy tried his hardest to ignore him. Eventually he lost patience, put his pizza on a bollard and stood up for himself. Few fists were flailed and the scum bag ended up on his arse. The well dressed gentleman just picked up his scarf, which had become untangled in the fray, put it on and walked calmly back to his pizza and continued to wait for his bus. Legend.

I would have been so upset if his pizza was stolen/ruined!

I've been in a few, nothing spectacular. Went to a pretty rough school so it was like War of the Buttons when we met in a nightclub. I used to love getting into fights, I was good at it.

Then I realised that's pathetic and don't do that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Yeah I've seen a fair few from working in pubs. Usually families fighting each other settling disputes and causing thousands in damage whilst doing it. But sure it was all very cultured really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

years ago in harolds cross there was the mother of all bar fights at a confirmation i was doing. i have seen nearly nightly fights in the bridge house in dolphins barn as well back in my heavy drinking days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

It's not a proper barfight unless someone gets defenestrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My husband and I got trapped in pub during a bar fight in our local in England once. Some out of town supporters had travelled down in coach loads from Manchester I think and had timed violence to kick off in various bars around the city centre at the same time that night. I knew something was a bit off as we were walking in,don't know what it was just a feeling. We'd only just put some music on the jukebox and sat down with our drinks. It was horrifying.

Everything just went nuts,an old man who'd been alone and enjoying a pint in the courtyard bar was dragged in by someone after he'd been hit with a table. The entire place was being ripped apart and there was only one main entrance to the 3 bars. We and the rest of the drinkers were evacuated out the back by the landlord and his German shepards. I saw a police woman outside the bar being held against a wall getting beaten by a thug,thankfully her colleagues got him off her. Running battles in the street with police,it was just insane.

The bar was closed for ages after that,it had to be totally refurbished as the thugs had destroyed it. After that if you weren't known in a bar on the day a match was on,you weren't allowed entry. A lot of local bars locked the doors during matches after that. We don't even like football. We'd lived in that city for years and that bar was our regular haunt,I've never seen anything like it before or since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Big up to that man, he can hold his head up high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

The worst I saw in a nightclub was when I was doing doorwork there at a big venue,think 1200-1500 capacity, there were bout 18 other doormen working. But it kicked off and alliances formed,normally you get a grip on things with sheer force of numbers, but what started as a fight between 2 groups turned into them vs bouncers, started off well, 2 bouncers taking one guy out at a time, but it descended into a free for all, all the while the assh0le dj kept playing music as people stopped and stared at the proceedings, the odd random punter actually coming over to kick a bouncer while he's fighting on the ground!!! Eventually cleared the place,we had one injury on our side that needed a hospital visit.

Whereas pubs, in my local town,a new bar got a late exemption licence for friday & sat nites to compete with the local nightclub, que 45 minutes and 4 fights into the exemption the pub closed, ditto the week after and licence was revoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Was rambling around America years ago trying to find myself, and found myself in a real one-horse mid-America town on a hot July's day. Decided to get me a pint. Went in to this real saloon type bar to quench the thirst, when who did I meet only my estranged father. (the hoor had given a girl's name before scampering off and leaving my mother). Well my blood ran cold as soon as I recognised him and I said "My name is Sue! How do you do?Now you're gonna die"

Well, I hit him hard right between the eyes and he went down, but to my surprise he come up with a knife and cut off a piece of my ear. But I busted a chair right across his teeth and we crashed through the wall and into the street, kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

I tell ya, I've fought tougher men but I really can't remember when. He kicked like a mule and he bit like a crocodile. I heard him laugh and then I heard him curse. He went for his gun and I pulled mine first. He stood there looking at me and I saw him smile and he said, "Son, this world is rough, and if a man's gonna make it, he's gotta be tough, and I knew I wouldn't be there to help you along. So I give you that name and I said goodbye. I knew you'd have to get tough or die. And it's the name that helped to make you strong"

He said, "Now you just fought one hell of a fight and I know you hate me, and you got the right to kill me now, and I wouldn't blame you if you do. But you ought to thank me, before I die for the gravel in your guts and the spit in your eye because I'm the son-of-a-bitch that named you Sue"

I got all choked up and I threw down my gun. And I called him my pa, and he called me his son and I came away with a different point of view. And I think about him, now and then every time I try and every time I win. And if I ever have a son, I think I'm gonna name him: Bill or George. Anything but Sue!!! I still hate that name!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

i saw one quite recently - it was over easter - went in for a drink after a lovely day shopping in town - great atmosphere in the bar until two middle aged good for nothings decided to have a "debate" and ended up throwing fists at each other - it would have been comical if it wasn't so pathetic - this was early evening. The two in question looked like they hadn't done a decent days work in their lives but were "experts" in their field of whatever they were debating. :D:D you know the sort.

Anyway, they and the groups that they were with were all thrown out - a bit of exciting - that you would expect from teenagers but sadly that came from two lazy looking layabouts that should have known better. Even their punches were lazy and one fell like a bag of coal with the smallest of taps - they'd be better off going for some fresh air walks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

anncoates wrote: »
    Prejudice against fat people is not on. :(

Haha, nothing to do with fatness! I'm 6' 2" and fairly muscular. It just seems to be a magnet for dickheads, every hardman in town wants to see if he can take ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭trickymicky

i used to work in pub in a town in tipperary but luckily enough only one or two fights ever broke out. I always found when it came to championship time in the hurling and football and if tipp lost, there would always be feeling of tension in the air and it could only take one retard to same something stupid and it would all kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

When I was young and in my travelling days I was in a bar in Penang in Malaysia with a mate. There was a live band playing covers. The lead singer a very pretty Malay lady was giving a high pitched version of the Cranberries zombie when a couple of guys started stage diving. A guy in the crowd seemed to take offence to the stage diving and some pushing and shoving started, seemed pretty harmless, and was split up quickly. We were well back from the main crowd in an alcove. About 5 minutes later a glass flew across the floor and shattered against a pillar at the other side of bar and within seconds it seemed like everyone in the bar was in for a ruck. It was pretty surreal glasses pool cues etc being used. The bouncers straight away ushered my mate, myself and any other tourists out a side door, so only seen a couple of minutes of carnage but it was messy. We waited outside and up the road a bit for a trishaw or cab home and the bouncers seemed to have got about ten guys out, who then proceeded to smash the front doors in with the beer garden furniture and smash all the windows. we jumped in a taxi fairly sharp. Taxi driver said it was local chinese gangs who were best avoided if we were ever out again there. Was not something I would like to have been caught in the middle of, was more than happy to have been sitting away from dance floor when it all kicked off.

Have not seen any serious fights here in a long time, seemed more common when I was younger. Thankfully I have never been in one just a spectator.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

The bouncers at Andrew's Lane Theatre beat me to a pulp for stage-diving at a Kerbdog gig before.

• Advertisement

It's also worth noting that fighting in nightclubs and bars isn't the preserve of the usual suspects or traditionally "rough" elements. While doing security at one place in Cork City centre I had the manager of a nearby pub run over to ask our help. An argument had erupted between two men, one of whom left, went home and then returned with a kitchen knife taped to his hand and proceeded to stab the other man repeatedly in the face. One blow was so hard it dislodged one of your man's teeth and cut his bottom lip clean in two. The victim was a complete mess, it looked like someone had thrown a bucket of blood all over the bar and floor. It turned out the man that did this was a schoolteacher.

Also while working in student clubs you'd be surprised the amount of people from supposedly "good" backgrounds who have no compunction in committing serious assaults, often in groups against a solitary victim. Half the fights I had in one club came about because of private-school educated rugby players throwing their weight around and generally being a bloody nuisance.

No doubt that when some of these people ended up in court for assaults etc the "he's from a good background (i.e. rich) Your Honour" was often thrown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I went in for a fight once and ended up only getting a pint. Shyte Pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

I was in a disco in my hometown (Derry) in the mid-80's, when the local IRA team (over 15 masked men) walked in just as the last song had stopped.
    They were there, due to complaints from local residents about weekly fights after the disco....and had come (ironically enough) to beat up the trouble makers.
    They were armed with hurley bats, but one had a large silver revolver.
    Obviously, all Hell broke loose outside, and fights erupted all over the place, with one guy having his balaclava pulled off, until the dude with the big cowboy gun started firing in the air.

Personally, haven't been in a fight for over 15 years after I broke my hand on some big farmers head during a kerfuffle in a Donegal chippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

i used to work in pub in a town in tipperary

Hardly Carrick-on suir was it? Rough town of a saturday night. Took a fair few punches when i worked in a chippy there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Also while working in student clubs you'd be surprised the amount of people from supposedly "good" backgrounds who have no compunction in committing serious assaults, often in groups against a solitary victim. Half the fights I had in one club came about because of private-school educated rugby players throwing their weight around and generally being a bloody nuisance.

No doubt that when some of these people ended up in court for assaults etc the "he's from a good background (i.e. rich) Your Honour" was often thrown up.

They're the worst. The Annabels case still sticks with me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Saw a guy get bottled the very first time I went to a pub, was around 16 I think and we got into a dive of a pub, didnt know any better, it was full of scummers, fight started on the dancefloor upstairs and then at kicking out time it all kicked off outside, saw some guy just march up to a lad walking out and smash a bottle off his head, then stabbed him with what was left a few times. It's mad seeing someone stabbed, you think its gonna be like in the movies and all specific but this guy was just doing it everywhere like it was a prison shivving or something, armts, legs, side etc. was horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Re: private school rugby type lads thinking they can beat the world because they took creatine for two weeks and were a sub for the schools B team remind me of these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It's also worth noting that fighting in nightclubs and bars isn't the preserve of the usual suspects or traditionally "rough" elements. While doing security at one place in Cork City centre I had the manager of a nearby pub run over to ask our help. An argument had erupted between two men, one of whom left, went home and then returned with a kitchen knife taped to his hand and proceeded to stab the other man repeatedly in the face. One blow was so hard it dislodged one of your man's teeth and cut his bottom lip clean in two. The victim was a complete mess, it looked like someone had thrown a bucket of blood all over the bar and floor. It turned out the man that did this was a schoolteacher.

I know the fella that teacher,used work with one of my friends.
    I used work in the Savoy in Cork as a barman, seen a girl bite another girls nose.She took a lump out of it, catilage exposed and all one of the most horrific things i've ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I saw a fight outside Supermacs in Eyre's Sq in Galway. It was comical, the whole of the square stopped to look(including Supermac's bouncers).

A serious fight? Yes, but it was as if two scobs said "Let's recreate the fight from Stepbrothers"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

anncoates wrote: »
    Thinly veiled thanks-harvesting device for tall tales about punching teenage "scumbags".

Ironically, yours is a thanks-harvesting post. :pac:

And it failed. You SUCK. :P

Advertisement