Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar fights

Options
  • 04-04-2013 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I was in one or two fights at school but they were of the circling around each other swinging wild kicks with the odd punch type of affairs.

I was also in a small fight after some knacker attacked me outside a pub when I wouldn't give him a smoke and he swung at me (Bouncer pulled him away thank god!).
    I can stand up for myself in a basic way even though I hate fighting but I would be absolutely terrified to be in a bar fight with chairs and pool cues etc

Bar fights happen in movies all the time but I've yet to witness or partake in one in real life. If a bar fight happened like it does on TV, with people smashing sturdy wooden chairs off each others heads, surely people would be killed right??

Have you ever been in a bar fight? Or have you ever witnessed a bar fight?? Did people get seriously hurt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Wasn't there a similar thread in the 'Dublin City' section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Thinly veiled thanks-harvesting device for tall tales about punching teenage "scumbags".

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

I used to be in the Swiss Cottage in Santry a lot, years ago, guaranteed a fight nearly every week and once or twice it involved maybe 15 to 20 people. Lots of blood and screaming, not the nicest thing to witness! When the bar staff all leave the bar and head for the storeroom, you know its a bad one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a similar thread in the 'Dublin City' section?

Yep. Asked them to move it here but they didn´t so did myself. Boring replies over there altogether!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I seen a massive cat fight in a pub in limerick city a few years ago, its was nuts, tuffs of hair been pulled out, When I lived in limerick it was regular enough in some pubs...seen a couple of big ones at the old taxi ranks on Shannon St.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

England is actually pretty bad for them, I've found myself at the centre of one or two! Got a bad headbutt before christmas when I was prying a big lad off some tiny fella, some 4th character spun me around and nailed me with his forehead, my world was spinning for the next hour! I was only trying to help :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A couple of years ago, some drunk aul fella was causing grief in the local pub and started a fight with the owner when he refused to leave.

The 2 of them were wrestling and flew back towards me where the aul fella's pint smashed on my arm. Didn't get a scratch, luckily, considering my arm was exposed from having my sleeves rolled up.

Anyways, the 2 of them fall to the ground and everyone (including myself) is trying to break them up when suddenly one of the massive, really thick and heavy bar stools clocks me over the head. I'm left stunned and wobbly, thinking I was going to pass out.

Some fùckin' idiot "trying to help" thought he'd throw the stool at a circle of 6 people, hoping it would land on the aul fella on the ground.

Was left with a massive bump on my head. Oh well, I'd take that over a sliced up arm from glass, anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its never like what it is in the movies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Compo culture and legal mumbo-jumbo killed off the good old-fashioned bar fight.

Now it's just a drunken push leading to a spilled pint or a poorly aimed jab, enter bouncer and its over before it started.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Seen a few, a few years ago went for a couple of drinks after work as it was a nice summer evening, was early enough about 7pm, bar in the city centre in Limerick thats now closed. anyhoo, sitting down the back chatting away to the lads, then this group of 5 or 6 rough as fcuk looking guys in their 30s/40s stroll in, bar is empty aside from us and them, two other guys walk in and are standing at the bar chatting away when one of the rough lads goes up and orders a round, says something to one of the guys at the bar then starts shouting at him, never heard what it was about but the next thing fists and glasses are flying, one of the rough guys goes and pulls the pub door shut so we just thought fcuk this and walked out the back as it had a smoking area that led into an alley.
    Next thing the barman and the two lads come legging out and a chair flies out the door after them. We go around the front and look into the window and the places is being destroyed, chairs flung at the bottles behind the bar, till being ripped out, was absolutely nuts, three squad cars and a paddywagon arrive a few mins later and cart them off, one of the guards was busted open as well.
    Found out afterwards one of the lads who kicked off had just gotten out of jail THAT DAY and they were bolloxed drunk from being out since on the lash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Ill have to get my eyes tested again , I though the thread was called bra fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I was enjoying a pre dinner aperitif in the club a few years ago when an absolute awful fracas erupted. A fellow entered, after 6 o'clock, wearing brown shoes!
    There was a furious raising of eyebrows and even an aduible 'Harrumph'.
    Needless to say I've never gone back. Life is too short for that kind of kerfuffel.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

mattjack wrote: »
    Ill have to get my eyes tested again , I though the thread was called bra fights.

emmm kinky, think you might be on to something there:)

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Some fùckin' idiot "trying to help" thought he'd throw the stool at a circle of 6 people, hoping it would land on the aul fella on the ground.

Was left with a massive bump on my head. Oh well, I'd take that over a sliced up arm from glass, anyways.

Jesus - the fella who threw the stool needs a hiding!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

krudler wrote: »
    Seen a few, a few years ago went for a couple of drinks after work as it was a nice summer evening, was early enough about 7pm, bar in the city centre in Limerick thats now closed. anyhoo, sitting down the back chatting away to the lads, then this group of 5 or 6 rough as fcuk looking guys in their 30s/40s stroll in, bar is empty aside from us and them, two other guys walk in and are standing at the bar chatting away when one of the rough lads goes up and orders a round, says something to one of the guys at the bar then starts shouting at him, never heard what it was about but the next thing fists and glasses are flying, one of the rough guys goes and pulls the pub door shut so we just thought fcuk this and walked out the back as it had a smoking area that led into an alley.
    Next thing the barman and the two lads come legging out and a chair flies out the door after them. We go around the front and look into the window and the places is being destroyed, chairs flung at the bottles behind the bar, till being ripped out, was absolutely nuts, three squad cars and a paddywagon arrive a few mins later and cart them off, one of the guards was busted open as well.
    Found out afterwards one of the lads who kicked off had just gotten out of jail THAT DAY and they were bolloxed drunk from being out since on the lash.

I'd put money on that place being Nestor's. Scumhole

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I'd put money on that place being Nestor's. Scumhole

Haha it was, legged it into the alley that's near the church behind it. Ah Limerick, where you can see someone get a smack of a barstool at 7pm on a tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Yep. Asked them to move it here but they didn´t so did myself. Boring replies over there altogether!

So you thought AH would be more exciting
    Your thread on bar fights is soon going to turn to racism , something gay and probably why we never stand up to our government

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I'm a fairly big sort of a fella. Wherever I go, someone starts on me. Happens all the time. I've only ever seen one proper bar fight though, and thanks be to fcuk it had nothing to do with me. When it was all over, the few people who DIDN'T get arrested started giving out to me for NOT joining in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Yeah my first and last time in the castle in Finglas. Chairs and bottles thrown. People rolling around the floor. The bar staff disappeared and someone barricaded the door so we couldn't leave. Eventually it just broke up. Gardai never came and there was no taxis. Had to walk the back roads to Ballymun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

newmug wrote: »
    I'm a fairly big sort of a fella. Wherever I go, someone starts on me.

Prejudice against fat people is not on. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

My cousin lives in New York and told me this:

Two gay lads in the corner kissing, and some redneck goes "Hey f*ggots, get the f*ck out"
    The two gay lads walk over, drag him out of the bar and kick the absolute sh*t out of him.
    Needless to say the whole bar just watched with glee.

Ah Limerick, where you can see someone get a smack of a barstool at 7pm on a tuesday.

ah now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"i wanna fight you"

"thems fightin words"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭LindowMan

Scottish Labour MPs are good at getting into bar fights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭LindowMan

Prodigious wrote: »
    Needless to say the whole bar just watched with glee.

I bet they didn't.

There used to be taxi rank on Shannon St in Limerick that youd always see stuff kicking off outside, its gone now but I'll never forget the night I was standing there with a few friends at around 3am, this was back when cabs were a rarity on a Saturday night, hear a bit of commotion around the corner then this rugby jock looking guy stumbles around with 3 scummers giving him grief, he looks like he already had a few digs thrown at him so I guess they jumped him.
    Said scummers try to start into him again and he just wades into them and kicks the bejaysus out of the three of them in the middle of the road, ran one guy headfirst into the shutters of a closed cinema that was beside the rank.

I've never been in a fight in a bar, got punched in the head once by some drunk guy who accused me of kissing his girlfriend even though I wasnt even in the club I was just standing outside waiting for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

There used to be taxi rank on Shannon St in Limerick that youd always see stuff kicking off outside, its gone now but I'll never forget the night I was standing there with a few friends at around 3am, this was back when cabs were a rarity on a Saturday night, hear a bit of commotion around the corner then this rugby jock looking guy stumbles around with 3 scummers giving him grief, he looks like he already had a few digs thrown at him so I guess they jumped him.
    Said scummers try to start into him again and he just wades into them and kicks the bejaysus out of the three of them in the middle of the road, ran one guy headfirst into the shutters of a closed cinema that was beside the rank.

I've never been in a fight in a bar, got punched in the head once by some drunk guy who accused me of kissing his girlfriend even though I wasnt even in the club I was just standing outside waiting for someone else.

Potential new thread for ya here , Krudler.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Best drunk fight I ever saw was at a nite link stop about 6 years ago. One drunken scummy looking guy screaming and abusing a very well presented small (most likely gay) guy, who happened to be holding a pizza.
    The scum bag kept getting in his face and shoving him as the guy tried his hardest to ignore him. Eventually he lost patience, put his pizza on a bollard and stood up for himself. Few fists were flailed and the scum bag ended up on his arse. The well dressed gentleman just picked up his scarf, which had become untangled in the fray, put it on and walked calmly back to his pizza and continued to wait for his bus. Legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I worked as a bouncer for years and to be honest, the majority of bar/club fights are tame enough affairs and if the door staff are on the ball they get shut down very quickly. In a packed venue you will often notice a fight has broken out when you see a large group of people diving out of the way, cue a stream of doormen usually followed by one or more men getting speedily arm-locked out the back door. The vast majority of the time the people involved are bladdered drunk and incapable of throwing anything more than a bad punch followed by some grab-ass pulling and dragging. The whole saloon-style brawl routine is very much the exception rather than the norm, although they do erupt from time to time.

The worst scraps I've seen are the ones that kick off outside the venue when two different groups go at each other over something that occurred earlier inside. Unfortunately if these assholes are just after leaving your venue you have a duty to intervene. I remember one occasion myself and others trying to break up a fight in Eddie Rockets and the place was absolutely trashed, there were even people fighting in the kitchen area. Absolute madness how people carry on with drink.

Advertisement