Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate Crime: Goths, Punks And Emos Recognised

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

old hippy wrote: »
    People should be allowed wear what they want, without fearing for their safety. Despite the machinations of conservative Ireland, we are not dominated by the Taliban. Or are we? :eek:

Apparently people who like to attack someone based on their clothing are as unto wild animals, and it's all your fault if you provoke them
    You ought to have known better.

Apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Jesus! At what stage do you pack it in and say the Cure aren't really worth it?

I didn't. I decided very early on that I'm not going to let arseholes tell me who I am allowed to be. As simplistic as it sounds, I just decided that it would be giving in and letting them win. If anything, it made me more determined to be who I am. I know it sounds like teenage rebellion crap, but that's just the way I see it. It just left me with a really deeply ingrained hatred for bullies and hatred of all descriptions and a massive respect for individualism and anybody who fights for the right to be themselves. I still have long hair and I'll be wearing a trench-coat when I go out tonight, why shouldn't I?
    Tallaght continues it's strong bid for "worst place in Ireland".

Nah, Tallaght is a huge place and most of the people here are cool, just cos a few people are arseholes doesn't mean all 50 thousand of them are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

orestes wrote: »
    Nah, Tallaght is a huge place and most of the people here are cool, just cos a few people are arseholes doesn't mean all 50 thousand of them are.

Tallaght is grand its the few as mentioned above living in tallaght 30 years and I've seen a hell of a lot worse areas

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Apparently people who like to attack someone based on their clothing are as unto wild animals, and it's all your fault if you provoke them
    You ought to have known better.

Apparently.

'fault' and 'provoke' - even if nobody writes them you'll jolly well read them words anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

'fault' and 'provoke' - even if nobody writes them you'll jolly well read them words anyway.

Hey, as we've all learned, it's your fault for having such terrible opinions.
    You should be pragmatic and stop being wrong near me.

You're just asking for it, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Yeah because you must only use the same words back at people and the meaning of their words can never be simplified or a sentence expanded from what they are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

orestes wrote: »
    I didn't. I decided very early on that I'm not going to let arseholes tell me who I am allowed to be. As simplistic as it sounds, I just decided that it would be giving in and letting them win. If anything, it made me more determined to be who I am. I know it sounds like teenage rebellion crap, but that's just the way I see it. It just left me with a really deeply ingrained hatred for bullies and hatred of all descriptions and a massive respect for individualism and anybody who fights for the right to be themselves. I still have long hair and I'll be wearing a trench-coat when I go out tonight, why shouldn't I?

One of the things I like about boards (and radio and the written word) is that what you think and feel and say becomes who you are. I really don't care how people dress. I might like and dislike certain styles, but that wouldn't make me judge the character of the person wearing them - because I don't think clothing is a expression of personality, rather an expression of taste, and it's as foolish to define yourself by your clothes as it is for others to judge you for them.

That said, go and rock that coat and hair tonight orestes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Disgusting crimes, I remember first hearing about the Sophie Lancaster case and actually being very upset over it.
    Living in quite the scanger area the past 8years, after living in quite a "normal" area for most of my life before that, really opens your eyes to how certain people/scangers are and behave around anything/one who looks different - aka not the norm of tracksuit/fake tan/runners etc - It was quite a huge shock and confusing to me when i first moved up here as I had never gotton abuse/harrassment anywhere else.
    Thankfully, touches wood, any abuse ive got has never turned physical other than having something thrown at me like a can/paper/dead bird etc, so thats something. But its a sad world in places where you cant just leave your house at whatever time, whatever day, go about your business, then head home without so much as a titter in your direction :rolleyes::mad::(
    As a poster mentioned previously about changing your appearance to maybe save your life, thats true and can be done and it probably would save you from a lot of abuse you may get, but why should you have to in this day and age?! All it does, I include myself in this too for some occasions where I just tried it out looking "normal" or whatever its called, is make you feel trapped in yourself as you cant just be you without getting hassle as long as your not harming anyone - isnt that a basic human right, if not then it really should be imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Disgusting crimes, I remember first hearing about the Sophie Lancaster case and actually being very upset over it.
    Living in quite the scanger area the past 8years, after living in quite a "normal" area for most of my life before that, really opens your eyes to how certain people/scangers are and behave around anything/one who looks different - aka not the norm of tracksuit/fake tan/runners etc - It was quite a huge shock and confusing to me when i first moved up here as I had never gotton abuse/harrassment anywhere else.
    Thankfully, touches wood, any abuse ive got has never turned physical other than having something thrown at me like a can/paper/dead bird etc, so thats something. But its a sad world in places where you cant just leave your house at whatever time, whatever day, go about your business, then head home without so much as a titter in your direction :rolleyes::mad::(
    As a poster mentioned previously about changing your appearance to maybe save your life, thats true and can be done and it probably would save you from a lot of abuse you may get, but why should you have to in this day and age?! All it does, I include myself in this too for some occasions where I just tried it out looking "normal" or whatever its called, is make you feel trapped in yourself as you cant just be you without getting hassle as long as your not harming anyone - isnt that a basic human right, if not then it really should be imho.

Disgusting anti skanger hate speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

dsmythy wrote: »
    Disgusting anti skanger hate speech.

Im guessing you dont want to explain you say that then ye?
    Well scanger to me means, hanging around the streets/estates, doing nothing really, shouting after anyone they feel they need to to either get a reaction or just boredom or to look great in front of their friends :rolleyes:
    I think when someone has been, and sometimes still is on occaison, the victim in that scenario then imho not exactly liking these people or even hating them would seem quite okay tbh.
    I and others like me that I know of dont cause harm or abuse or harrassment to these people, or anyone tbh, so why should I get any from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Once you make distinctions, be it in boroughs or nationwide, you have a multiple tier society. And can be used in courtroom defense or offense, an administrative nightmare.

Violence or abuse is the same, regardless of whether they like to tosh themselves up in jagged tights, weird dyed hairstyles, or mope about the Central Bank to Smiths music.

The beating senseless of a bloke in skinny jeans, or a heavy set maiden in tight socks and black lace is terrible enough. It is assault. Not a hate crime.

Hate crimes should be outlawed as discrimination. Equal justice for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Not sure if it really counts as a hate crime. I'm a die hard metal fan, so I'm usually in a band shirt or a patched denim vest, I get started on and get called names such a hippy(most annoying word ever when used wrong) and it's bad but I really don't see it as a hate crime.

Advertisement