Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate Crime: Goths, Punks And Emos Recognised

Options
  • 04-04-2013 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

http://news.sky.com/story/1073632/hate-crime-goths-punks-and-emos-recognised

From the Sky News article:

Greater Manchester Police have become the first in the country to officially recognise hate crimes against goths, emos, punks and metallers.

Attacks on those who belong to alternative subcultures will now be recorded as a crime by GMP in the same way as disability, racist, religious, sexual orientation and transgender hate crime to provide better support to victims and repeat victims.

The move is a response to the 2007 killing of Sophie Lancaster, who was attacked by a mob for being a goth.

Greater Manchester Police say they recognise "alternative subculture" as a broad term to define a strong sense of collective identity and a set of group-specific values and tastes.

This typically centres on distinctive style, clothing, make-up, body art and music preference.

I think this is a move in the right direction. There is enough mindless violence against people solely because of perceived membership of some group to warrant a strong stance on this.

I have seen it enough in Ireland particularly when alcohol is involved. I'd like to see something similar here, but how wide ranging should it be and how should it affect sentencing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

As long as we can still single out Hipsters I'm OK with this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

That Sophie Lancaster case was sickening, scum of the earth those 2 little shìts were.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Greater Manchester isn't a country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I notice a deliberate absence of hipsters on the list. Good stuff :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Airitech

Gatling wrote: »

Well yeah, what's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,120 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

As long as we can still single out Hipsters I'm OK with this

No mention of United* fans either. Good stuff.

*Meant in jest, Mr./Ms. Moderator.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

1ZRed wrote: »
    I notice a deliberate absence of hipsters on the list. Good stuff :pac:

This applies to any subculture so that probably covers hipsters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

What about full kit ****?

Couldn't see it working here being honest ,we can't prosecute normal crimes ,can't see a judge here giving any thought to they wore different colour clothes or hair is worth saying its a hate crime .actually its difficult to prosecute at best of times

Keno 92 wrote: »
    What about full kit ****?

Them too.

• Advertisement

Couldn't see it working here being honest ,we can't prosecute normal crimes ,can't see a judge here giving any thought to they wore different colour clothes or hair is worth saying its a hate crime .actually its difficult to prosecute at best of times

I suppose you would have to prove that someone was attacked solely because of the group they belonged to and no other reason.

Might be difficult to get it clear cut enough to allow it to affect the sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Not really. Gang targets group that doesn't conform or fall under what it is to be "normal" and mainstream and attacks them solely because of that.

Prosecution would seem fairly straight forward to me.

Airitech wrote: »
    I suppose you would have to prove that someone was attacked solely because of the group they belonged to and no other reason.

Might be difficult to get it clear cut enough to allow it to affect the sentence.

that's the problem ,did anybody see the story of the young with lad burned to death at his own birthday party after stripping and been scrawled with fag and queer on his body before been covered in sun oil and supposedly set on fire by accident he was openly gay and suffered from Asperger syndrome that couldn't be prosecuted as hate hate crime

that's the problem ,did anybody see the story of the young with lad burned to death at his own birthday party after stripping and been scrawled with fag and queer on his body before been covered in sun oil and supposedly set on fire by accident he was openly gay and suffered from Asperger syndrome that couldn't be prosecuted as hate hate crime

Do you know why it wasn't prosecuted as a hate crime?

Airitech wrote: »
    Do you know why it wasn't prosecuted as a hate crime?
    Ive no idea why it wasn't . me I believe it was
    It was because you have to prove it is hatred ,not just another alcohol related assault from the start ,
    I'm not against it but its not going to be a big issue here ,it will be explained as mindless violence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Oldschool Goth/punk ftw. I think even original emo had it's merits?!

but is sad that its come to that. also if a person can't be into what they want its a big factor for suicide within the younger age group, had my suspicions about one or two here..

maybe it's part of an initiative to reintroduce diversity that had to be taken, because its too pc to nuke all chavs!

Oldschool Goth/punk ftw. I think even original emo had it's merits?!

but is sad that its come to that. also if a person can't be into what they want its a big factor for suicide within the younger age group, had my suspicions about one or two here..

maybe it's part of an initiative to reintroduce diversity that had to be taken, because its too pc to nuke all chavs!
    Proper Rocker's ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Sounds about right to me, fair play to them. Goths/emos/punks are constantly targeted by scummers, especially the teenagers, it's the usual bullying crap of anybody who is different that has been going on for years and it's good to see that a stance against that kind of sh1t is being taken on across the board. Abusing or attacking somebody just because of who they are or how they dress is disgusting and shouldn't be tolerated.

Anybody who says it's not the same thing because they choose to dress that way is completely missing the point.

There used to be a goth/industrial club in Dublin city called Dominion at the top of O Connell Street on Saturday nights in the basement of a bar. The same bar used to host a Celtic supporters night upstairs on Saturday nights. Pretty funny stuff, especially when the smoking ban came in and everyone had to smoke outside together. Weird thing was, after a while they all ended up friends. It started out like a high-school dance with goths on one side and Celtic jerseys on the other, but slowly through being around each other all the time, they got used to each other, started talking, and ended up as one big group of folks who got along really well. Even they realised how absurd it all was and it ended up being something that they all laughed about because they all knew how weird it must look to everyone else but at that point it was just normal to all of them. Don't know exactly why I'm telling that little story here, but it seemed relevant.
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    That Sophie Lancaster case was sickening, scum of the earth those 2 little shìts were.

It wasn't two, there were 5 of them in the attack. 2 were convicted for the murder of Sophie Lancaster and the other 3 were convicted for greivous bodily harm against her boyfriend Robert Maltby, he survived the attack but was in a coma for a while after it happened and was left with permenant brain damage.

orestes wrote: »
    Sounds about right to me, fair play to them. Goths/emos/punks are constantly targeted by scummers, especially the teenagers, it's the usual bullying crap of anybody who is different that has been going on for years and it's good to see that a stance against that kind of sh1t is being taken on across the board. Abusing or attacking somebody just because of who they are or how they dress is disgusting and shouldn't be tolerated.

Anybody who says it's not the same thing because they choose to dress that way is completely missing the point.

It should definitely add gravity to an assault if its proven that this was the motive, so the judge can hand down a heavier sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

punk and gothic rock are very english thngs, too so its another example of globalization wiping out traditional organic local produce if you ask me

People gettin riled tere might be a solitary goth left in the neighborhood... probably actual "witch"hunts happening, identikit lynchmob knows no bounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

punk and gothic rock are very english thngs, too so its another example of globalization wiping out traditional organic local produce if you ask me

People gettin riled tere might be a solitary goth left in the neighborhood... probably actual "witch"hunts happening, identikit lynchmob knows no bounds

There were plenty around here too. Growing up in the 80's there was a big punk commune around Dunlaoire and town was littered with Goths, rockers, and head-the-ball's of every variety.
    For all the talk of how we live in the age of 'individuality' and how important self expression is in the internet age, I see far more conformity and group think today then I ever did under the 'repression of the Catholic Church'. It's seems that conformity is demanded of our new high priests also, consume! consume! consume is our new prayer!
    It used to be that sub cultural trends were a bottom up phenomenon, but by the time 'heroin chic' had hit the catwalk even junkies has been appropriated by corporatist marketing departments. Today most subcultures are a branding exercise. The most vicious ire today seems reserved for those that stubbornly refuse to be ‘branded and marketed at’.

As for the suggestion that laws need to be passed to 'protect such subcultures', that's nonsense.
    Threat and intimidation is a crime, assault is a crime, murder is a crime. There is no need to legislate for the special protection of any particular sub-culture, the attempt to do so is a mere deflection from the real problem, our streets are ruled by thugs who are not challenged by the law. This legislation is just another PR exercise to create an appearance of 'doing something' when in fact the government is doing the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I think even original emo had it's merits?!

The emo wans were rides? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

HIPPIES!!! Everyone grows out of that phase(including myself), but the music is still unbelievable :D SLAYER!

But yeah, they do get an awful doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Do skangers count as a sub culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

This is stupid because you choose to be goth,emo,punk,hipster etc. You dont choose what age,gender,ethnicity,race, social class, sexual orientation you are or if youre disabled. Religion, yes you can choose but a lot of people until they are an adult are forced to stick with the religion of their parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Is Rod Hull going to be prosecuted for constantly fisting his emo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Metallers must be one of the most stupid words ever coined..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Saw a fcuk load of emos in Brisbane, must be hard to stay pale and wear black leather trenchcoats and stuff what with all the sun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭LindowMan

Yet another case of PC gone mad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭LindowMan

It does have a bigger population than some countries, though.

Advertisement