Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why these jobs??

Options
  • 03-04-2013 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

ok so i have been looking on line at jobs,

and suppose my question is WHY is it only door to door sales that are hiring in this country? all you see is sales reps wanted or better yet they dont say anything about door to door sales but hide what they want you to do untill they get you in there???

Where are all the jobs the government say are here??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

They hide what they want you to do because if you knew the truth beforehand you would never apply in the first place.

And there are plenty of jobs out there, only problem is they are all the sh1ty low paid ones ! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Loads of telesales jobs as well, afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭burgermasters

kingtut wrote: »
    They hide what they want you to do because if you knew the truth beforehand you would never apply in the first place.

And there are plenty of jobs out there, only problem is they are all the sh1ty low paid ones ! :mad:

I know, i think sometimes your better off on the dole in this country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I know 3 lads who were laborers and said the same. They rewrote their CV's and all had jobs within 2 weeks. There's plenty of jobs out there if you present yourself properly!

smash wrote: »
    I know 3 lads who were laborers and said the same. They rewrote their CV's and all had jobs within 2 weeks. There's plenty of jobs out there if you present yourself properly!

They may be there, and fair play to those lads by the way! But these jobs are hidden, the sales people hide the job type and play on the fact you need the money then have work twelve hours a day for little or nothing and you don't have time to look for the real jobs so when you take time out to look there gone ye know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

That is true, where I work so many people present themselves for interview and you can tell that they have not researched the company or the job itself in any shape or form.

When I applied I knew absolutely everything about the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

ok so i have been looking on line at jobs,

and suppose my question is WHY is it only door to door sales that are hiring in this country? all you see is sales reps wanted or better yet they dont say anything about door to door sales but hide what they want you to do untill they get you in there???

What are your qualifications?
    *eyes username*

They may be there, and fair play to those lads by the way! But these jobs are hidden, the sales people hide the job type and play on the fact you need the money then have work twelve hours a day for little or nothing and you don't have time to look for the real jobs so when you take time out to look there gone ye know?

That's rubbish to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Ya, makes you wonder what the 450.000 are doing with themselfs.

Drakares wrote: »
    What are your qualifications?
    *eyes username*

Ha ha not what you think! My qualifications are in aviation security, customer service and gen security. The main qualification would be in aviation

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Im in it sales and even though the loons in charge say its theveuropen hub of it its all bullsh!t

The only ones hiring are the dog eat dog comanies with the huge staff turnover rates

Most other jobs are poorly paid

That's rubbish to be honest.

And how is that??

And how is that??

"the sales people hide the job type and play on the fact you need the money then have work twelve hours a day for little or nothing and you don't have time to look for the real jobs"

There's always time to look for a job if you make time. And working straight 12 hour days in sales for no money? please...

"the sales people hide the job type and play on the fact you need the money then have work twelve hours a day for little or nothing and you don't have time to look for the real jobs"

There's always time to look for a job if you make time. And working straight 12 hour days in sales for no money? please...

Ok first of all lose the attitude there is no call for it, second of all i know full well that you must make time to look, but if your working nine to nine not getting home till after eleven how do you find the time?? What do you do may i ask?

but if your working nine to nine not getting home till after eleven how do you find the time??

So you only work 4 days then?

"The Organisation and Working Time Act 1997 states that the maximum average working week for many employees cannot exceed 48 hours."

That gives you a free day!

No the company i know of that i won't name here by the way, you work those hours six days, the say you work less because your in the office till afternoon but you have to be there! They also require you to be there! But that act is handy to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭trickymicky

kingtut wrote: »

best one i saw was junior marketing assistant . they make them sound so attractive but really their very very sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

best one i saw was junior marketing assistant . they make them sound so attractive but really their very very sh1t

Well that's probably a more accurate description than sales person. You're marketing the product, but you haven't a hope of selling it!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Just speaking as a recent masters marketing graduate, nearly all jobs that are supposedly "marketing jobs" on job websites tend to be cleverly disguised door to door sales jobs. Which be of limited benefit to me experience wise. One company that advertises heavily these types of jobs makes no mentions of it being a Sales job in their job description. It's only when you pay a quick visit to their website that you realise what the true nature of the job when you read between the lines of the company description. So instead I am considering taking a jobbridge job thats actually marketing related to give me the experience I need.

If I don't get a job in a few months, I will start learning how to program and look to move into the IT sector by doing online courses etc and possibly taking a loan from my parents to do a diploma for this. Annoying to be in college for 5 years and not able to get a job out of it but what can you do but move on and try improve your skillset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

IT is where its at, I got into it two years ago by chance, people are coming and going in my Job all the time plus if you have a language aswell you are laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

What jobs have the Government been talking about? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

So burgermasters, what job is it you're looking for?
    Where are you based?
    What experience do you have and qualifications?
    How flexible are you on location?

I bet we can find ye something.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

Jobs out there alright but the problem is anything that requires a degree typically requires experience aswell so if your just out of college that doesn't leave you with much options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭emo72

enda1 wrote: »
    So burgermasters, what job is it you're looking for?
    Where are you based?
    What experience do you have and qualifications?
    How flexible are you on location?

I bet we can find ye something.

"I demand you give this man a job!"

it really is you enda isn't it?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The reason why you see loads of those sales jobs advertised is because its a crap job. Crap in the sense of:

1, It's not for everyone. Alot of cold-calling is involved. Be it to peoples houses or to companies. You need a neck like a jockey's bollocks.
    2, and even if you have such a neck you need sales. If you dont get them you are down the road. Doesnt matter how many you sold last week.

Avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

blackwave wrote: »
    If I don't get a job in a few months, I will start learning how to program and look to move into the IT sector by doing online courses etc and possibly taking a loan from my parents to do a diploma for this. Annoying to be in college for 5 years and not able to get a job out of it but what can you do but move on and try improve your skillset.
    major bill wrote: »
    IT is where its at, I got into it two years ago by chance, people are coming and going in my Job all the time plus if you have a language aswell you are laughing.

I don't know why there aren't more people doing this. There are way more IT jobs than can be filled in this country at the moment, especially software engineering. The last place I worked has about 100 staff and about 70/80% had to be hired in from abroad. Same story in the place I'm working now. I'm in games so it's probably a tad more extreme than generic software development, but the case still stands that there are a butt load of jobs that can't be filled.

I know it's not easy to reskill, but the recession has been going on for 5 years now. People have had plenty of time to reskill and they should realise by now after 5 years of unemployment that their construction jobs just aren't coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

I don't know why there aren't more people doing this. There are way more IT jobs than can be filled in this country at the moment, especially software engineering. The last place I worked has about 100 staff and about 70/80% had to be hired in from abroad. Same story in the place I'm working now. I'm in games so it's probably a tad more extreme than generic software development, but the case still stands that there are a butt load of jobs that can't be filled.

I know it's not easy to reskill, but the recession has been going on for 5 years now. People have had plenty of time to reskill and they should realise by now after 5 years of unemployment that their construction jobs just aren't coming back.
    Im a software developer..

its the same in most areas of software development.. there just isnt enough people to fill the jobs. I heard the big boys like google and facebook hire a majority of their staff from abroad, because there isnt enough quality developers in Ireland.

Shocking really, considering the gubernment have been banging on about this IT economy for 10 off years, yet they cant get more people to do software dev in college, or even improve the courses that the students come out employable, its almost as hard for computer science grad to get an IT job as if you didnt have the degree..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Ha ha not what you think! My qualifications are in aviation security, customer service and gen security. The main qualification would be in aviation

If you speak German and one other European language, my company here in Cork is desperately looking for Customer Service agents.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Mully_2011 wrote: »
    Jobs out there alright but the problem is anything that requires a degree typically requires experience aswell so if your just out of college that doesn't leave you with much options.

I find that many companies tend to be flexible with their experience requirements if you bring something else to the table that they may not have asked for but can certainly use. Languages do spring to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Its almost as hard for computer science grad to get an IT job as if you didnt have the degree..

Any software grad in this country that can't find a job because of lack of experience is just lazy tbh. Working on solo projects at home or taking part in open source projects is often just as valid as a real life position. It wouldn't be too difficult to get a job without a degree if you had a reasonable amount of those kind of projects behind you.

Advertisement