Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭okshea

Yip I def agree with ye lads,the rambling is a big loss!.Woz quite a fan of it.Maybe ill get some money together and open one!!:D.With students around during the week and the town generally busy at wkends a decent modern pub/venue would surely be a profitable venture.I think the problem with the Rambling woz they didnt really try weekdays and were only really busy saturday nites.A decent imaginative nite club in town would be welcome as well rather than the McClubs we have now with all the 'same shxxe,different nite' shtuff!.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

blacklist were mainly from abbeyfeale :P . Yea though the rambleing was class. we need a pub like it again. The super abbey makes these promises but with the archeological dig and all that **** who knows when its gonna be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭delspeed78

Tralee has been crying out for a decent music venue for years. 10-15 years ago you could catch a band in the abbey,Blasket,Old Oak,Horans and the Rambling, which was grand. Today however,you would have to travel outside the town to catch a good rock band.
    Heck, even in the 60's & 70's all the bands of the time played n the CYMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Patricide wrote: »
    The super abbey
    I have a feeling it wont really be that super, im sure itl be much of the same , i think the bar is going to be around the same size. There was talk of music 5 nights a week though.Bring back the old oak i say, some great bands played there in its short time open!

ahh yea the old oak was class. Spent many a night sneaking in there haha.

And the cyms(now the kdys) plays bands every friday or so. the only difference is now its more for the younger crowd for young bands to play a few gigs in em before they start hitting up pub gigs. I played in there many a time though and it made me the musician i am today so im very gratefull they have such a well run band club thingy. I just hope that doesnt go or else this town will have NO music scene at all.

The best music venue right now is the greyhound. music every thursday and theres a load of very good bands playing in there, and a great variety too. Great place to see underground acts such as ten past seven and rest.

• Advertisement

Yes, the greyhound is the only place in town with any kind of a scene happening at the moment, its no bad thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 katefromkerry

Who runs Roundy's?
    Is it a local family owned business?

For anyone wanting up to date news,
    Kerry's Eye on line is great.
    (fifty Euro's a year) subcription to view the whole paper on line.
    Great for anyone living outside Tralee (I am in North America)
    and have the paper read from cover to cover, before my sibling in Tralee
    even opens it. (smile)

Yes, its a family run buisiness, i think its a crowd called the fitzgibbons that own it, one of them francis writes for the kerrys eye, and also works for radio kerry.I havent been in yet, but im told its a great little place.

what kind of bar is it outta curiosity like older people or what? might head in for a pint later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

it's a 25 - 40 crowd the times I've been there which suits me perfect as I'm slap bang in the middle of that age group. Val's used to cater for that age group but anytime I've been there recently, it is absolutely deserted - even on a Saturday nite - can't figure out why. i heard from a friend that Vals even shuts on some week nights now - is this part of the smoking ban/drink driving clampdown/cheap booze from supermarkets cause or something else?

• Advertisement

i dunno but i did notice the lack of people ever going into vals alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭edgesgirl

only found out bout this thing a few weeks ago. glad i'm not the only one with a bit of pride in my town, however misplaced it may be. but do ye talk bout anything except the pubs!? anyway i'll be back to stick my oar in......no doubts!!!!

Pubs are very important things to talk about ya kno:D unless anyone wants to change the subject....................:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Anyone know of any photography clubs in town? I recently moved back after being away for a few years, and I miss having a photog club. Any photographers on here from Tralee? If there isn't a club, would anyone fancy getting one going with me?

if i could only really give the time and money i wanted to to photography id say yes. pesky music grrrr...!!!!

Patricide wrote: »
    if i could only really give the time and money i wanted to to photography id say yes. pesky music grrrr...!!!!

hehe! Unfortunately for me, I managed to develop an overly strong interest in both :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

yes, there has been a slant towards the alco on this thread - what does that say about us?? Regarding photography clubs, I think Kennelly's chemist owner used to run one as when I was in secondary school, there was a recruitment drive to get people involved. Whether he still runs it, I'm not sure but if you pop into his shop at corner of Mall (next to Baily's - ouch a pub mention again:eek:), I'm sure they can advise you. Maybe try checking google.ie as well for any clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Anyone know how I get rid of the pub poll I set up. Thought that we might get a new poll started. Any suggestions??

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0229/tralee.html not a great sign for the town in fairness is it :(

Great, more bad press....:(.As for the poll, good question tom, maybe along the line of whats the best restaurant in town or something?cant think of any other ideas right now though...

• Advertisement

I couldnt delete the poll Tom, but resetting it was the best I could do. If anyone comes up with a good idea, Ill edit it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭okshea

Maybe we could have a poll to decide what the best poll would be:p

best chipper in town poll i say, its gonna be kalelis though without a doubt :)

Mmm..kalelis is the business alright, very underrated!! Though the burger shack cant be beaten for satisfaction guaranteed!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Green Rooster....
    Jimmy Casey is a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Ok should we (a) go for best restuarant or (b) best chipper

And if we go for (a) restaurant what four should be the choices
    The Cookery, That place the botton of Denny St (can't remember the name)
    Does the Tankard and places in the likes of Ardfert come under the Tralee Bracket

If we go for (b) best chipper. What four? Mickos, Kali,Joans, Rooster, Viva Burg????

joans is closing down saturday i think :( , and whos gonna vote mickos haha?

mickos, whatever happened to supermacs!!

Tomthepost wrote: »
    If we go for (b) best chipper. What four? Mickos, Kali,Joans, Rooster, Viva Burg????
    cant forget the burger shack, i think there could be an arguement coming on!!!:D

• Advertisement

burger shack is ok these days.......gone down a lot over the years in my books though. I remember the food being out of this world now its just good.

I still say the best burger the town has ever seen is hob nobs cafe(before the iraq guys took it over) big massive FU(K off homemade burgers....DROOOL.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement