Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

ongarboy wrote: »
    especially one called Micko's - think it cheapens the town centre. Full marks to the new Penneys across the road though - it's a very impressive building now - both inside and outside.

+1 on Mickos.

Not sure I agree about Penny's, it might be an impressive looking building for the town center, but I dont think that its a nice thing to have the largest shop in the town center as one that largely sells cheap and "one off" clothing. Then Heatons being the nect largest, not a good thing in my personal opinion.
    Tomthepost wrote: »
    Bring back the Allegro!!! Great real greasy chips.

lol +1 one, the good old days!

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Are Franks and Viva Burg still in operation?
    What is the chipper down near the brandon called these days? It went through a load of names over the years! LA Take-Away....

Franks is gone... a kebab place now
    Viva Burg is still going strong
    the one by the Brandon is gone now too, its a lovely Italian restaurant these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

both mickos ant the allegro are nasty, Mickos is tolerable for a cheap lunch though.

Patricide wrote: »
    both mickos ant the allegro are nasty, Mickos is tolerable for a cheap lunch though.

Ah we mean the old Allegro, from years back, not today's crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Anyone remember The Rock City Diner/Toms Cabin?
    They were where where Kennellys photo centre is now...near Baileys.
    Cant remember if the grub was any good but they had arcade video games upstairs!

Class.

i know, that was just as bad, had lovely ice creams though!! dont remember toms cabin!! but anyone remember sizzlers, it was where brudairs is now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

gerocks wrote: »
    Cant remember if the grub was any good but they had arcade video games upstairs!

Class.

Yeah I remember the Rock City Diner alright - ate buffalo wings for the first time there, mm :) Only a year or two ago a friend of mine told me he didn't know they were chicken :confused::confused: I've no idea what he thought he was eating!
    Can't say I remember Sizzlers myself - was it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭le_tigre

Patricide wrote: »
    anyone remember sizzlers, it was where brudairs is now!
    Before my time, but I'm glad for the change, because there's a stone fox working at Brudair's, and I like the lemon madeira cakes, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭delspeed78

Ahh...Tom's Cabin. Used to go there on school days for lunch. Chips,burger and drink for one pound, thank you very much..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

delspeed78 wrote: »
    Ahh...Tom's Cabin. Used to go there on school days for lunch. Chips,burger and drink for one pound, thank you very much..........

Ah the memories. A game of Turtles and final fight and snow bros

i dont remember this place :(, where was it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

gerocks wrote: »
    QUOTE]

Next to Baileys corner

ahh, sorry musta missed that!! Still cant remember the place though.

Question though. Where is there in town itself to pickup a breakfast roll. Sometimese when im heading into work in the morning i could really do with one but i cant think of any place that does em. Any idears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 stuba9

Charlies maybe?

Could do, il inspect this matter futher tomorro monring!!

I dunno if the Snackery do take-away breakfast rolls but if they do they'd probably be the best in Tralee.. And for a decent price too!

Indeed, the snackerys breakfasts are somthing else. Come to think of it i cant ever remember eating there any other time. Good lunches?

Same as you Patricide, even when I have eaten there at lunchtime I've always ordered a breakfast.

haha, so true....and for good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

When I worked in Tralee I was always complaining that there were few places to get a decent breakfast or lunch.
    Can't remember the name but accross from the brogue there is a nice cafe or at least it used to be.
    O'Sullivans (Delicatassen) great scones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

Does anywhere do american breakfast? You know blueberry waffles with maple syrup, eggs benedict, hash browns, pancakes and free refills on coffee?

• Advertisement

Simply put no..not in this town anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Charlies is definatly a good place to get a breakfast roll in the centre of town,chips and all included:D:D,snackery is the best for a hangover cure though;)And as for old shops and places in the town,who remembers the leisureway,at least thats what i think it was called,where ch chemist is now,or the shopping arcade where shaws is now,though i cant remember the name of that place?:confused:

Just had a chat with herself,it was called the russell arcade,think there was a toyshop,butchers,and a newsagent in there.

The Russell Arcade is where the "arcade" is now, near CH, rather than where CH is now. And yeah you're is right about what was in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

When you say "where the arcade is now", the only arcade left in that part of town is the Tralee Shopping centre where Abrakebabra is and that was not the Russell Arcade. The Russell Arcade was where Shaws is currently now. Used to love the smell from the Baker's Oven bakery when passing through and reading the comics in Porter's newsagents at the front until the shop assistant gave out to you for reading without buying!!

Any of you old enough to remember Woolworths where Penneys is now and the massive pick'n'mix there? I used to look at the sweets there so longingly...!!

jesus! Porters Newsagents....could not for the life of me remember the name of that place. Used to get all my Panini soccer stickers there....

Was there not some sort of shopping centre where ch is now aswell,thought there was a pet shop at the back,and a toy or joke shop middle ways,im sure it was called the leisureway or something,maybe im mixing it up with somewhere else:confused: As for woolworths,im a bit young to remember that:piv heard it was a nice place though.

Who remembers the "original" Tesco at the Horan Center, before it was Quinnsworth! I used to love their toy section :)

440Hz wrote: »
    Who remembers the "original" Tesco at the Horan Center, before it was Quinnsworth! I used to love their toy section :)

Was that not called H.Williams?..or something like that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

delspeed78 wrote: »
    Was that not called H.Williams?..or something like that..

Yes, forgot about that. It was Tesco when the Horan Centre first opened with a few other shops there as well and then Tesco pulled out of Ireland at the time and HWilliams took over their shops.

Regarding the other poster's question about Leisure Way, yes that was next to CH Chemist until CH Chemist took it over and enlarged their shop. I remember it had a bright green front with silver logo for Leisure Way. I can't really remember the shops in there except for a second hand bookshop at the back. There might have been a pound shop there too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement