Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky maybe after Rabo TV Deal, Ulster (or just awec) says NOO!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

bilston wrote: »
    A conference system could work. Two groups of 12, top four from each group go through to a league of 8, league winners are champions. No promotion or relegation though.

I'm not sure if the English clubs would agree to that though, in fact I don't I don't even know if they'd be able to. We have to remember that while the Rabo is a single league, the AP is just the top league in a series. I'm not sure they'd be allowed to enter a league where there's no scope for promotion from the Championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the English clubs would agree to that though, in fact I don't I don't even know if they'd be able to. We have to remember that while the Rabo is a single league, the AP is just the top league in a series. I'm not sure they'd be allowed to enter a league where there's no scope for promotion from the Championship.

The Premiership is not an RFU competition though, the shareholders are the clubs so presumably the top side in the Championship gets 'invited' to join rather than being promoted automatically.

I think I read a few months ago that because Exeter had survived a couple of seasons, they were entitled to buy Leeds' shares

Edit: Yes, more info here:
    http://www.espnscrum.com/premiership-2012-13/rugby/story/170559.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The English will not change their league. No matter what. UK & Irish league or whatever would never happen. It's extremely unlikely they would involve the Welsh either, unless their was some over riding benefit, but even the collapsing of a rival league might not be enough motivation.

Regarding ticket prices, Almost any Leinster game you can get in for 20 euro. There may be some premium tickets comparable with Old Trafford or wherever, but that's premium / corporate in RDS and not so in Old Trafford, i.e. you share the bench with the Leinster players.

It's also selective comparrison, look at the ticket prices in Arsenals new stadium, iirc the most expensive tickets are a few hundred pounds and a season ticket is over £1,000. (Leinster season tickets start from €200 / €250 or something). Also look at Leinster prices when it's in a similar size stadium (Aviva) - it's all about supply and demand, Leinster average 15 / 16,000 anyway in RDS, regardless of price, and season tickets are the bulk of tickets sold, but for the Aviva, where there are actually seats to sell, you can get tickets from something like a fiver or a tenner during the hour of power, and they are always premium games, i.e. Heineken Cup or Derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

just catching up on this now. I wonder if its true that Sky are going for Rabo are they conceding defeat to BT in that the Heineken Cup as we know it is dead in the water and the fall back mechanism for them is Autumn Internationals and the Rabo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

just catching up on this now. I wonder if its true that Sky are going for Rabo are they conceding defeat to BT in that the Heineken Cup as we know it is dead in the water and the fall back mechanism for them is Autumn Internationals and the Rabo?

I'd say it's more that they're trying to keep rugby a regular presence on their channels. I highly doubt they're just giving up like that, especially when everything is still up in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think that the Rabo is going to be replacing the Aviva Premiership in their schedules

Advertisement