Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA study group

Options
  • 03-04-2013 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

I'd be interested in setting up a free in person study group to teach and learn CCNA topics.

It would be a community based effort and it would be free. If anyone is interested in participating or contributing please let me know.

In order to do this, I would need multiple contributors.
    I'm based in the Dublin area and we could possibly start something from Saturday June 15th if we have the numbers and can get a suitable location.

I would guess that we would run about 8 weeks, either one evening per week or one day on the weekend - it would vary.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I'd certainly be interested as I'm currently studying for the existing syllabus. There are areas I'm competent in that I could help others with and obviously other areas I'd need assistance with. Even if the group is focused on the new syllabus I'd attend.

In relation to a venue, presumably we'd just need power and a wan connection? Wouldn't even be pushed on a WAN connection, keep people focused :)

I've got a lab kit that could also be used. (2900 switch with 2*2620 & 1*2621 routers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Yes would be interested in participating in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Okay I'll leave this up for a couple of weeks and then compile a list of names.
    I'm busy until the date mentioned above anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

I'd be interested in this too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Count me in too. I have a two routers and two 48 port Switches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Yeah I'd be interested too! Cheers iRock!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Very interested too iRock, but Im based down in Galway so cant make it.

I'm interested in this too, hoping to take the CCNA for a second time (expired) by the end of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Very interested in this

On my 1st year of a 2 year CCNA course and its looking like i am going to be badly shafted by the change in curriculum.

So im hoping to learn Vlans trunking Wans and other bits before the 30th Sept rolls around.

Might see if a few others in my class would be interested as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Razzen

Might be interested in helping out..have taught CCNA stuff for a few years, so might be able to help people out with any topics they're struggling with.

• Advertisement

Razzen wrote: »
    Might be interested in helping out..have taught CCNA stuff for a few years, so might be able to help people out with any topics they're struggling with.

You might be able to help me so

Someone told me a joke about UDP earlier

I didnt get it

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Hey!

UDP wrote: »
    Hey!

Sorry I didnt mean to offend

Hard luck on losing the job to TCP

Its amazing what a good handshake can do.

*Gets Coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Slight hijacking of the thread for a quick question, but I didn't think it would merit yet another CCNA thread :)

From an old Uni course I still have access to the Cisco net academy site, at least until it closes in 73 or so days. The course modules available are CCNA Discovery and CCNA Exploration - so, if I want to get the basic CCNA and perhaps later a CCNA Security (I understand this material is not for the security course) which one of these to I need to go through? I guess I could go through both, but just wondered if that is a requirement for the CCNA? To add to that I have an old (going from memory as they are packed away) Cisco 2600 and a Cisco 1850. Would they do the job for studying? I have also downloaded packet tracer from the net academy site to supplement, or if possible to use instead of hardware.

I've just realised I've typed more than I intended to, so my apologies again for the OT questions.

harney wrote: »
    Slight hijacking of the thread for a quick question, but I didn't think it would merit yet another CCNA thread :)

From an old Uni course I still have access to the Cisco net academy site, at least until it closes in 73 or so days. The course modules available are CCNA Discovery and CCNA Exploration - so, if I want to get the basic CCNA and perhaps later a CCNA Security (I understand this material is not for the security course) which one of these to I need to go through? I guess I could go through both, but just wondered if that is a requirement for the CCNA? To add to that I have an old (going from memory as they are packed away) Cisco 2600 and a Cisco 1850. Would they do the job for studying? I have also downloaded packet tracer from the net academy site to supplement, or if possible to use instead of hardware.

I've just realised I've typed more than I intended to, so my apologies again for the OT questions.

JFGI

It would appear that I can either go through the Exploration track and get the CCNA, or go through the Discovery track and get the CCENT. With either I can then do the Security exam. Would I be correct in thinking that while the CCENT should be easier than the CCNA, the gap from there to the Security exam would be quite a jump?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Sparks43 wrote: »

I didnt get it

Yeah, but if they had told you the same joke involving TCP, it would have taken three times as long...

:pac:
    Would I be correct in thinking that while the CCENT should be easier than the CCNA, the gap from there to the Security exam would be quite a jump?

Not really, the ICND2 (or whatever it is now) and the IINS exams cover different material. They're two branches in different directions. If anything, I'd say the ICND2 material is more difficult than the IINS stuff.

However, I really think a full CCNA R&S would be more beneficial than only a CCNA-S, even in the security field. I'd recommend continuing to get your full CCNA R&S, and then look at the CCNA-S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭newfrontier

sounds like a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Razzen

JFGI

It would appear that I can either go through the Exploration track and get the CCNA, or go through the Discovery track and get the CCENT. With either I can then do the Security exam. Would I be correct in thinking that while the CCENT should be easier than the CCNA, the gap from there to the Security exam would be quite a jump?

Both Discovery and Exploration cover the full CCNA curriculum (just in a slightly different order), so technically you could study either. The exploration course has a lot more background and detail and would give you a better rounded understanding of the core material. If you wanted to do the Security course then I'd recommend Exploration.

As for using packet tracer, instead of hardware..yes very easily done. Packet tracer has improved hugely in the past few years, The entire CCNA curriculum (OK one or two very small bits missing, helper addresses etc) is now doable on packet tracer so it should be perfect.

Good Luck with it.

Not really, the ICND2 (or whatever it is now) and the IINS exams cover different material. They're two branches in different directions. If anything, I'd say the ICND2 material is more difficult than the IINS stuff.

However, I really think a full CCNA R&S would be more beneficial than only a CCNA-S, even in the security field. I'd recommend continuing to get your full CCNA R&S, and then look at the CCNA-S.
    Razzen wrote: »
    Both Discovery and Exploration cover the full CCNA curriculum (just in a slightly different order), so technically you could study either. The exploration course has a lot more background and detail and would give you a better rounded understanding of the core material. If you wanted to do the Security course then I'd recommend Exploration.

As for using packet tracer, instead of hardware..yes very easily done. Packet tracer has improved hugely in the past few years, The entire CCNA curriculum (OK one or two very small bits missing, helper addresses etc) is now doable on packet tracer so it should be perfect.

Good Luck with it.

Thanks guys. I guess if I decide not to be lazy during the summer I'll tackle the Exploration course. :o

Just a quick question how many are interested in meeting up ?
    I can possibly arrange a free venue for 1 evening a week with cisco kit but I would have to get an idea of numbers? Venue is fully equipped classroom with cisco kit, its Near the dundrum luas and has some car parking available..If someone wants to volunteer to be group organiser and start getting the group organised for a kickoff in june.Sounds like a great idea and we have the makings of a very good study group.

• Advertisement

PM sent

The other thing I'm thinking about is WebEx or Google hangouts for the sessions?

Might be more flexible considering I'm on call some weekends and/or evenings and I guess not everyone can go every week. This way, we might be able to include people we otherwise could not.

I just configured a private mailing list for this as I suspect it'll be a bit busy for here - considering the amount of CCNA posts on the forum
    http://goo.gl/4KMnV

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

applied to join google group :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

+1

I would be very interested in this. Just applied to the google group. I also have 2 '2950' switches which I would be very happy to donate for studying.

NullZer0 wrote: »
    I just configured a private mailing list for this as I suspect it'll be a bit busy for here - considering the amount of CCNA posts on the forum
    http://goo.gl/4KMnV

The link is missing a 'l'. Should be http://goo.gl/4KMnV

+1:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Also applied. Webex would be brilliant as Im down in Galway so wont make it up for the sessions.

Need to look into the webex thing further - soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

I applied also, I have 2 Cisco 48 Port Switches ( Catalyst 3500 Series XL ) and 1 2950 24 port Switch.
    I have a 1700 cisco router and 1 2610 router.

I am sitting the CCENT exam next week and have no problem sharing this equipment with others here.

Paddy

Advertisement