Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Maudi wrote: »
    sure.dont we all pay millions on road tax...and that dosent get spent on roads either
    No, we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

humbert wrote: »
    No, we don't.

Fair enough but everyone who owns a car does, its called VRT

VinLieger wrote: »
    Not really, that's basically an excise duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Lol. Road tax is actually called Motor tax. And VRT is vehicle registration tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭twinytwo

This gets done to death everytime.....

.... main problem, there hasnt been a resevoir built in this country for like 30/40 years....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kneemos wrote: »
    How does cold weather affect water pipes?ground frost doesn't permeate down that far unless it's viciously cold and the pipes are too shallow.

Pipes in Ireland are far too shallow and old, Dublerlin towen has a particularly ancient system, esp in the centre where crumbly junctions are the norm. Combine with lack of investment and lack of capacity at the storage end and the supply is on more of a knife edge than you'd suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

mike65 wrote: »
    Pipes in Ireland are far too shallow and old, Dublerlin towen has a particularly ancient system, esp in the centre where crumbly junctions are the norm. Combine with lack of investment and lack of capacity at the storage end and the supply is on more of a knife edge than you'd suppose.
    Plus burst pipes in households actually drain water from the system. Then you have people who leave a tap running so their pipes don't freeze. In cold weather people use more water in this country.

Yes we have a leaking system but individuals are also a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Sure we're irish
    We don't drink water
    We drink alcohol and as for bathing
    Very few do that aswell so no worries :)

i dunno about you but i wash regularily. nothing worse than having a hum off ya.

tin79 wrote: »
    Lol. Road tax is actually called Motor tax. And VRT is vehicle registration tax.

Good for you http://www.vrt.ie/roadtax.php

Vrt.ie is an independant website providing information about motoring matters such as VRT in Ireland.

You're taking advice from people who can't spell independent on the main page of their website?

• Advertisement

You're taking advice from people who can't spell independent on the main page of their website?

Balls my bad, ill admit im wrong here, google failed me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

No, we don't.

dont be so pedantic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

If everyone in residential housing were given the means to harvest their own water or what water they could i think we would be well better off.
    Instead of a water charge invest in your own system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭paulbok

It hasn't been that cold in Dublin over the last few weeks. Well it was cold, but how often did the temperature drop below 0 for any sustained period?
    How could there be more leaks because of that?
    The winters of 2 & 3 years ago caused burst pipes everywhere, but no way it was cold enough this year. If the pipes are leaking, they were leaking anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Markcheese wrote: »
    We were and we weren't a low tax Economy ...we took a lot of construction related tax, and spent the cash like water....( pardon the pun...) .... I suppose at least the Luas, port tunnel, and motorway network there's something left behind.... Better than payrises for all....

Or put another way, instead of flying ministers to GAA matches and church fetes by air corp helicopter and paying for the wife of senior civil servants to have their hair done, the cash should have been spent on things like ensuring there is an efficient supply of potable water for the citizens of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Or put another way, instead of flying ministers to GAA matches and church fetes by air corp helicopter and paying for the wife of senior civil servants to have their hair done, the cash should have been spent on things like ensuring there is an efficient supply of potable water for the citizens of the country.

On the scale of things it was the election buying SSIA that was the biggest waste of money.

drdeadlift wrote: »
    If everyone in residential housing were given the means to harvest their own water or what water they could i think we would be well better off.
    Instead of a water charge invest in your own system.
    Everybody has the means to collect water as is they just choose not to . The big roof on the house is a means to harvest water. People don't do it because there is no cost benefit. When water charges come in people will do it thus proving that by bringing in the tax will reduce and reuse. Water buts are not expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Boombastic wrote: »
    You'll have to drink your tears to survive :(

No shortage of water down here :pac:

Run after it, see can you catch it! :D

Nope not a chance, it must be related to usain bolt.

caff wrote: »
    On the scale of things it was the election buying SSIA that was the biggest waste of money.
    Actually it was pretty good at saving the country quite a bit of money. It meant people had saving to handle the recession. It slowed the economy by taking money out of a an over heating economy. It probably kept the banks more stable than without it. There is no doubt in my mind it saved the country from being worse than it is.

Plus I still have mine :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Actually it was pretty good at saving the country quite a bit of money. It meant people had saving to handle the recession. It slowed the economy by taking money out of a an over heating economy. It probably kept the banks more stable than without it. There is no doubt in my mind it saved the country from being worse than it is.

Plus I still have mine :p
    If their maturity was timed to coinside with the downturn in the economic cycle as part of a countercyclical economic policy then, yes the SSIA scheme would have been a good idea. Instead it was designed to ensure FF were reelected in the 2007 General Election and keep the unsustainable property bubble going for a few more years - both things the country could have done without.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

kneemos wrote: »
    Neglect of the infrastructure until a crisis persists for several years is the way we do things.

The Irish way..:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Very true but sure we just love to squander the money, It makes us feel better, ... Anyway I'd reckon a fair bit of our water systems are actually left over from when your lads ran the show here..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How much less water is there than normal ?

How much of that was people cutting back ?

Does it show that water meters are a total waste of time to everyone except the water meter supplies / installers / politicians who will extract a small % of the overall cost as a stealth tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

I remember coming home, I was so parched, so drunk man and I made it to a garage, and crawled across the forecourt and put my lips to the hose and it was just air.

High pressure air, and that's the only time I had my stomach pumped

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

How much less water is there than normal ?

How much of that was people cutting back ?

Does it show that water meters are a total waste of time to everyone except the water meter supplies / installers / politicians who will extract a small % of the overall cost as a stealth tax
    Charging for water will mean people will reduce their usage in order to save money. Less demand means less costs associated with supplying drinking water. If the water charge was lumped in with the property tax there would be no incentive for people to cut down on usage because you would pay the same for using 1l as you would for using 1,000l. Even if it only extract a small % of the overall cost, reducing demand would save a fortune in providing new infrastructure which would otherwise be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

At least 25 per cent of water is lost thru leaks in pipes,
    WHEN we had the boom ,the only thing we did was build roads , new council offices and ,bridges.
    SO the country cant afford to fix the pipe s, water system ,
    ITS more important to pay politicians 3 pensions,
    and give bonus,es to bankers,
    And pay our college lecturers, more than any other european country.

WE have a 19th century water system.

When water freezes , it expands ,pipes crack, causes leaks,
    especially pipes that are 80 years old.

IF WE had just 7 county councils it would be easier to run the water supply system.
    OTHER countrys have regulations, all large buildings,have some type of
    water collection system , which collects rainwater .
    its not rocket science.

This country is 20 years behind germany in terms of solar power,
    and effecient use of water supply.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Charging for water will mean people will reduce their usage in order to save money. Less demand means less costs associated with supplying drinking water. If the water charge was lumped in with the property tax there would be no incentive for people to cut down on usage because you would pay the same for using 1l as you would for using 1,000l. Even if it only extract a small % of the overall cost, reducing demand would save a fortune in providing new infrastructure which would otherwise be needed.
    That's the spiel were are supposed to swallow. But the reduction is only 1/4 of what leaks out the pipes at the moment.

So again does anyone know how much water demand was reduced by when people were asked ?

Unaccounted-for water – the difference between the water produced and consumed – is running at more than 40 per cent nationally

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12161393
    Installing water meters in every home in Northern Ireland would cost £106m, an assembly member has been told.
    "Meters typically reduce water consumption by 10%."
    738,800 households in NI that makes their meters £143 each. (€169)

probably less than the VAT on ours :mad:

the cost of water meters is likely to be funded by way of a 20-year standing charge levied on all customers which would lead to a total outlay on the installation of €780

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Quick - let's get some water meters! That'll end this crisis!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

So we need to:

1) Fix the pipes

2) Build a bigger reservoir

At least when we get billed for water we'll have someone answerable for the above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Everybody has the means to collect water as is they just choose not to . The big roof on the house is a means to harvest water. People don't do it because there is no cost benefit. When water charges come in people will do it thus proving that by bringing in the tax will reduce and reuse. Water buts are not expensive.

That water is fine for washing the car and watering the plants but its not suitable for drinking or showering. But a agree everyone should invest in them. I guess you could use they for filling WCs too. Planning authorities could have conditioned developers to provide such water harvesting services.

Advertisement