Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink?

Options
  • 03-04-2013 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭

I'm only after hearing, so apologies is this has been done, but Dublin has a water shortage?!

Really?

It's been raining for the last, oh, 8 years at least. How is this happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

I'm only after hearing, so apologies is this has been done, but Dublin has a water shortage?!

Really?

I heard on the radio that one of the water treatment plants is out of action due to the 'cold' !
    But even still.. we're innundated with water, they should have more than sufficient supplies -especially this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 23 awedf

Rain doesn't mean fully treated and safe drinking water.
    The perilously low level of water in the reservoir is due to an infestation of algae at the Varty River near DCC's water treatment plant at Roundwood, Co Wicklow, which is slowing down the treatment of water. There are also a large number of leaks due to the cold weather, which is draining the supply.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/a-million-families-facing-water-shortage-29170447.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

This is the reason,

Treated water storage is currently at an unsustainably low level. This is as a result of production problems at one of our water treatment plants. There is obviously no problem with storage levels of untreated/raw water and there is no problem with water quality of treated water. Storage levels of treated drinking water are below a normal operational level.

In addition water demand is currently running higher than average due to the cold weather which has caused an increase in leakage. Our crews are repairing any breaks as they arise. To help us in this regard we would ask people to report any location where they see water rising or running.
    http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=dublin%20water%20not&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdublincity.wordpress.com%2F&ei=nNRbUYeYOZKRhQfsqIHAAg&usg=AFQjCNGmsBcqybqRDq2D_G0ryVZEq2sVaQ

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Additionally, the water transport network (or pipes to you and me) is in tatters. From recollection, less than 40% of the drinking water pumped from the plants makes it to the taps. Given the lack of budget for infrastructure, this isn't likely to change any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,167 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What's lacking is infrastructure which will reliably turn rainwater falling out of the sky into water fit to drink coming out of your tap in the quantities that you would like. Precisely because it rains more or less all year round, Dublin has comparatively little reservoir storage given its population, so when a dry(ish) spell does come along, water levels gets depleted quite quickly. Conversely when there are sustained periods of heavy rainfall, we lack the capacity to store much of that.

Aging infrastructure means that an increasing proportion of what is drawn out of the reservoirs is lost through leaking pipes, etc, before it gets to your tap. General budgetary constraints, plus political objections to water charges in particular, mean there is pressure not to spend money improving or even maintaining the infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

With ground frost and concrete, the soil doesn't absorb the water instead it flows straight to the river, storm drains etc and straight to the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Neglect of the infrastructure until a crisis persists for several years is the way we do things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Heard someone from Dublin city council , saying it'd be this way till they have water from the Shannon in 7/ 8 years....
    That'll deliver loads of untreated water, of which there's currently no shortage ....

Would it not be quicker and cheaper to sort out water treatment plants, fix as much of the leaks as possible, and try to cut consumption (metering coming anyway) ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

kneemos wrote: »
    Neglect of the infrastructure until a crisis persists for several years is the way we do things.
    Actually, it's the way a lot of countries do things. Especially democracies. A short-term electoral cycle encourages and rewards this behaviour.

Also, Ireland did spend a long Celtic-tigerish time trying to be a low-tax economy, to general acclaim. But being a low-tax economy does have implications for public infrastructure.

Markcheese wrote: »
    Heard someone from Dublin city council , saying it'd be this way till they have water from the Shannon in 7/ 8 years....
    That'll deliver loads of untreated water, of which there's currently no shortage ....

Would it not be quicker and cheaper to sort out water treatment plants, fix as much of the leaks as possible, and try to cut consumption (metering coming anyway) ...

Seems like a long way to go for a drop of water.I may be wrong but I think I vaguely remember a climate change report from somewhere that said the west would get much wetter and the east would become drier which they had to back up their plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Sure we're irish
    We don't drink water
    We drink alcohol and as for bathing
    Very few do that aswell so no worries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Actually, it's the way a lot of countries do things. Especially democracies. A short-term electoral cycle encourages and rewards this behaviour.

Also, Ireland did spend a long Celtic-tigerish time trying to be a low-tax economy, to general acclaim. But being a low-tax economy does have implications for public infrastructure.
    We were and we weren't a low tax Economy ...we took a lot of construction related tax, and spent the cash like water....( pardon the pun...) .... I suppose at least the Luas, port tunnel, and motorway network there's something left behind.... Better than payrises for all....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Really?

Are you that stupid that you don't understand the concept of water treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Are you that stupid that you don't understand the concept of water treatment?

Who fúcking rattled your cage this morning?

I know water has to be treated, but when its mentioned as a shortage, it usually means lack of water. I was pointing out that we don't have a lack of water.

Another poster mentioned that algae was strangling the supply, on top of up to 60% water loss in the pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Id have absolutely no problem with water charges if i was absolutely certain all the money would go to to repairing and maintaining the water network and infrastructure. But theres no way they can do this for some reason? I never will understand why our taxes go into the big pot system, except for the fact its alot less complicated, less efficient and easier to hide whats paying for what, its a serious part of the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

VinLieger wrote: »
    Id have absolutely no problem with water charges if i was absolutely certain all the money would go to to repairing and maintaining the water network and infrastructure. But theres no way they can do this for some reason? I never will understand why our taxes go into the big pot system, except for the fact its alot less complicated, less efficient and easier to hide whats paying for what, its a serious part of the problem
    the reason it goes into a "pot" is because for one the health system eats 3000euro per man woman and child (15billion/5million heads) which unfortunately folks wouldnt like to see itemised on their income tax bill so it has to be "hidden" and financed through VAT/ Excise and topped up by troika loans.

But indeed, water + waste treatment that encrues a yearly cost of 1billion euro (IIRC) in Ireland to the taxpayer should be itemised to every home rather than coming from the big pot of tax incomes + troika bailout funds.

To be fair to them at least some of the problems arose from the rapid increase in population during the boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I know water has to be treated, but when its mentioned as a shortage, it usually means lack of water.

Nope, it's a lack of potable water.
    A strange mistake to make, especially seeing as you use the old "water, water everywhere" adage in your thread title.
    You do know what that references, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Forget about fixing the old pipes we just need a new big pipe to drain the Shannon

Forget about fixing the old pipes we just need a new big pipe to drain the Shannon

Exactly this country has always worked best when it commits to massive projects that involve absolutely no foresight and completely drain out natural resources

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

ted1 wrote: »
    With ground frost and concrete, the soil doesn't absorb the water instead it flows straight to the river, storm drains etc and straight to the sea.

Eh? :confused:

DCC dont extract from wells they use surface water abstraction no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

realies wrote: »
    This is the reason,

Treated water storage is currently at an unsustainably low level. This is as a result of production problems at one of our water treatment plants. There is obviously no problem with storage levels of untreated/raw water and there is no problem with water quality of treated water. Storage levels of treated drinking water are below a normal operational level.

In addition water demand is currently running higher than average due to the cold weather which has caused an increase in leakage. Our crews are repairing any breaks as they arise. To help us in this regard we would ask people to report any location where they see water rising or running.
    http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=dublin%20water%20not&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdublincity.wordpress.com%2F&ei=nNRbUYeYOZKRhQfsqIHAAg&usg=AFQjCNGmsBcqybqRDq2D_G0ryVZEq2sVaQ

If it running should I run after it or call DCC or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

You'll have to drink your tears to survive :(

No shortage of water down here :pac:
    If it running should I run after it or call DCC or what?

Run after it, see can you catch it! :D

Bit of side issue in this thread, but hypothecated taxes (taxes which can only be spent for a stated purpose) are generally considered a Bad Thing because they are ineffecient and inflexible, and discourage coherent fiscal and budgetary policy formation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Apparently it's to do with the bad weather causing lots of damage to pipes etc, not that we didn't get enough water via rain

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Bit of side issue in this thread, but hypothecated taxes (taxes which can only be spent for a stated purpose) are generally considered a Bad Thing because they are ineffecient and inflexible, and discourage coherent fiscal and budgetary policy formation.

Yes but paying taxes for water and then the taxes not being used to maintain that supply of water is ridiculous, and we know thats whats gonna happen as the water tax is just another way to prop up the piss poor management and miss-spending of the civil service

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Apparently it's to do with the bad weather causing lots of damage to pipes etc, not that we didn't get enough water via rain

Didn't see much more than average bad weather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

kneemos wrote: »
    Didn't see much more than average bad weather?

March was the coldest on record. We had a long, cold winter which is not so good for water pipes. What kind of bad weather do you think you need?

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    March was the coldest on record. We had a long, cold winter which is not so good for water pipes. What kind of bad weather do you think you need?

How does cold weather affect water pipes?ground frost doesn't permeate down that far unless it's viciously cold and the pipes are too shallow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Yes but paying taxes for water and then the taxes not being used to maintain that supply of water is ridiculous, and we know thats whats gonna happen as the water tax is just another way to prop up the piss poor management and miss-spending of the civil service

sure.dont we all pay millions on road tax...and that dosent get spent on roads either

Advertisement