Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy in work off sick

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tearwave

Big Bottom wrote: »
    Its too easy to claim depression and get sympathy for it I think.

How long is it before he could be let go or could he potentiall stay off 'sick' indefinitely?

At he very least we needto get someone in to do what he is meant to be doing.
    It's usually 6 months before they start taking serious action

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

It might be stress leave he is on actually but either way nobody else is taking leave and believe me we are all up against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'd be f*cking depressed if I worked with you, OP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If your company suspects the guy is faking then they have the right to have him assessed by their own doctors. It is not so easy to just look up the symptoms.
    surely work would be a welcome distraction rather than sitting at home all day depressed?
    Depression can be completely debilitating. To work while going through an period of depression would be impossible for many. It is an illness like any other. While it can be good to keep the mind occupied dealing with responsibility may not be a good idea. Especially in the seemingly intolerant workplace that the OP describes. People in general have little understanding of depression so it would most likely worsen for the guy were he to keep going to work.

OP maybe he smokes weed to deal with depression or maybe he just thinks it is a cool screen saver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

guppy wrote: »

(There are, of course, doctors who'll sign off on anything once they're paid, but I think they'd still be quicker to cite stress over depression).

I used to work in an un-named company. All of the sick notes used to come from a doctor in Thomas Street, even though the ops lived all over Dublin. After a couple of nights out and associated beer, I found out it was because he would sign off anything if you brought a bottle of whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

nuxxx wrote: »
    Profiler is right, alot of people self medicate with alcohol drugs etc when they're suffering mental health issues

We used to call that "a night out"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Big Bottom wrote: »
    This guy is a complete waster.

His screen saver in work is a hash leaf so we put 1 and 1 together.

Id say he is at home smoking it while we all have to pick up the pieces in work

He's a waster? He got off his arse to actually get a job in the first place, unlike a lot of other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Big Arse, given the previous thread you started you seem to be jealous of this man, he gets women, time off work ect.... while you are a sad lonely individual, i feel sorry for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

surely work would be a welcome distraction rather than sditting at home all day depressed?
    Yeh if it's mild but if it's severe, the person would be too ill to work. Like a person with a cold making them feel crappy but not enough to justify taking long-term sick leave, as opposed to someone having glandular fever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Have you considered quitting your job and becoming self employed as a private detective, because your detective skills are amazing.

All joking aside, unless you're the one that pays his wages it's absolutely none of your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

I dont buy this 'self medication' malarky for a minute, if he didnt smoke weed, he wouldnt be stressed or depressed or whatever he is making up. Its a demanding job but everyone else is getting on fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

OP given a little time off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement