Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy in work off sick

Options
  • 03-04-2013 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi,

There is a guy in work who has been off sick for the last month claiming he is depressed.

This guy smokes a lot of weed and is always trying to avoid work when he is in and leaves us all with lots extra to do.

How long can you get away with claiming to be depressed before you have to come in or you can be fired?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

How do you know he doesn't suffer from depression?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

He may actually be suffering from depression. Given hes off this long I would assume he has given in some sort of cert. have a little empathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

How do you know he smokes weed?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

surely work would be a welcome distraction rather than sditting at home all day depressed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    How do you know he doesn't suffer from depression?

They rarely are tbh. It's just so easy to smoke your days away on the public purse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Is there a chance that the guy is in fact depressed?

Lots of depressed people self medicate when they shouldn't. People use, alcohol and other illegal narcotics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Maybe he's genuinely depressed?

Are you his employer? What do you care if he's off sick? You say he does nothing when he is in work so I don't see what difference it makes to you if he's in or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Are you his manager, or responsible for his work attendance? Because if not, why not leave it to whoever's responsibility it actually is, and mind your own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

surely work would be a welcome distraction rather than sditting at home all day depressed?

Eh... no.
    Profiler wrote: »

Lots of depressed people self medicate when they shouldn't. People use, alcohol and other illegal narcotics.

and the sweeping generalisation of the day goes to! ^

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

This guy is a complete waster.

His screen saver in work is a hash leaf so we put 1 and 1 together.

Id say he is at home smoking it while we all have to pick up the pieces in work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I can't imagine an employer just taking his word for having depression, he'll have some kind of doctor's certificate - if he's genuinely ill, what's your problem with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Chances are he's smoking weed in order to get himself out of his funk, which obviously just makes the problem worse...

Big Bottom wrote: »

Ah, so you mean you have no proof.

Glad we're not jumping to conclusions here.

My problem is that we are up to our eyes. I dont believe he has depression, Im sure you could just look up the symptoms online and just say it to a doctor.

Ah, so you mean you have no proof.

Glad we're not jumping to conclusions here.

He has no proof, exactly. I could have a picture of a line of coke on my PC background, doesn't mean I'm snorting.

Did you not just jump to a conclusion that alot of depressed people self medicate with alcohol and other illegal narcotics just a few posts above... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Are you his manager, or responsible for his work attendance? Because if not, why not leave it to whoever's responsibility it actually is, and mind your own business.

I'd imagine because someone has to do his work when he is not there. Its the responsibility of the HR dept to follow up on his attendance. If he is depressed they should be helping him out with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

My problem is that we are up to our eyes. I dont believe he has depression, Im sure you could just look up the symptoms online and just say it to a doctor.

how about you keep your big arse out of his business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Did he tell you himself that he's off because he's depressed?

and the sweeping generalisation of the day goes to! ^

Can I suggest you do a little digging, if you do, you may find out what I've said is right.

However, as this is After Hours, feel free to hop aboard the outrage bandwagon and rant away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I have a big picture of a kangaroo on my desktop, does that mean i eat kangaroos ? He might just like the picture.

Making accusations against this person just shows what kind of person YOU are. imo.

• Advertisement

Did you not just jump to a conclusion that alot of depressed people self medicate with alcohol and other illegal narcotics just a few posts above... :rolleyes:

No, I didn't.

Can I suggest you do a little digging, if you do, you may find out what I've said is right.

However, as this is After Hours, feel free to hop aboard the outrage bandwagon and rant away.

Do you want to back up your post with evidence so? I'll just lay on my bandwagon here..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

The problem is this general attitude toward mental illness that a lot of people seem to have. ' He's a waster ' ' he sits at home all day smoking weed'

Try he sits awake at night thinking he's worthless, and can't control his negative thoughts or he's loosing touch with his friends and family and feels helpless. Or also think that things he used to find easy now seem a hell of a lot more difficult.

Mental illness a a serious issue, and while i've no doubt that in some cases the 'depression' card is abused, have a think that maybe this person actually does have depression, and has taken the first step in the right direction by starting to address it.

Kind of serious post for AH, but c'mon, you don't know whats going on inside someone else's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tearwave

He sounds like quite a smart young fellow indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

I work in a place that has its share of pee-takers when it comes to extended sick leave, but mostly the cause is "stress", not depression. They are two completely different things, and most doctors wouldn't be too quick to diagnose depression.

(There are, of course, doctors who'll sign off on anything once they're paid, but I think they'd still be quicker to cite stress over depression).

Its too easy to claim depression and get sympathy for it I think.

How long is it before he could be let go or could he potentiall stay off 'sick' indefinitely?

At he very least we needto get someone in to do what he is meant to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

How long can you get away with claiming to be depressed before you have to come in or you can be fired?

Tough one to call. What they used to do with witches was throw them in a river and see if they drowned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Profiler is right, alot of people self medicate with alcohol drugs etc when they're suffering mental health issues

Its too easy to claim depression and get sympathy for it I think.

How long is it before he could be let go or could he potentiall stay off 'sick' indefinitely?

At he very least we needto get someone in to do what he is meant to be doing.

If it's so easy why don't you do it so? Sounds like you don't like having to pick up some temporary slack while your co-worker is going through some sick leave (which he'd need a doctor's cert for, no doubt).

I'm sure he's having the time of his life at home, depressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81815167

You have really gone to pot Big Bottom

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement