Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people take your posts personally or do you take theirs personally?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Not at all. If someone takes the piss out of me I can laugh at myself, and if someone disagrees with something I say that's fine.
    I'm impossible to offend! I also hope I've never offended anyone by taking the piss out of them!

I mostly post in light hearted threads and rarely in any heated discussions.

Except when someone offers a cuddle :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I do and I have done in my previous incarnation but I bring it on myself. I always get stuck into the most controversial threads and rant my head off, bringing on the wrath of the usual suspects. It's not so much that I get upset or offended, more pissed off and it puts me in a bad mood for the day and I walk around grumbling to myself with a head something like this: :mad:

It's more of a reflection on me and perhaps my own insecurities than anything. If I believe strongly about something, I want everyone to agree with me and if they don't, I have to convince them otherwise in the worst possible way. It's fairly childish but hey, no one is perfect. I THINK I'm getting a bit better though. Luckily I'm not like this in the real world.

Edit: Actually it's not fairly childish, it's childish to the extreme.

Well I suppose we all take things personally to a degree are only human. What I find annoying is when people take a complete dislike to another poster based on their views on one topic and carry this on no matter what the thread. It only happened to me once and he closed his account but still it was a but weird. And all because I disagreed with him that some other animals may remain undiscovered. :s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Some people seem to take mine seriously enough it seems. Probably more seriously than I take them myself when writing them. Philologos for example went on a long rant about how I was the only user he put on ignore, solely because I made some points he could not rebut, and has since fled the forum. A user called The Bishop! also went on a personal abuse campaign on threads and in PM against me before flouncing off the site and closing his account.

Some people certainly do lack the inner calm required to deal with the... concentrated.... social requirements that forums require of us compared to "normal" real world encounters and circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

steddyeddy wrote: »
    And all because I disagreed with him that some other animals may remain undiscovered. :s

You Philistine!

:pac:

• Advertisement

You Philistine!

:pac:

cuvier's rash dictum my friend!

Do I sometimes get annoyed with people's opinions? yes. If I feel myself getting in any way riled - I leave the thread and forget about it 10 minutes later.

Do I take anything that's posted in public forums actually personally? Not even a little bit. I used to though, definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I've never changed my opinion/outlook on a single controversial or decisive topic based on the opinions of others on a message board. Usually just strengthens my opinion.

Would never take the opinions of others seriously in a place like AH. Stupid thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well I suppose we all take things personally to a degree are only human. What I find annoying is when people take a complete dislike to another poster based on their views on one topic and carry this on no matter what the thread. It only happened to me once and he closed his account but still it was a but weird. And all because I disagreed with him that some other animals may remain undiscovered. :s

You have to admit there has been a few **** in AH over the years. I dislike **** in the real world so it follows that I will dislike them in here. I usually put them on ignore but it's so tempting to see what other guff they come out with that I sometimes take them off again. I suppose it passes the time. Makes a boring day a little more interesting. People troll just to get a reaction (I'm guessing because they're bored) and some people react to them and are like a dog with a bone (to pass the time). I suppose in a perverse way, many of us get enjoyment out of it. T'would be a boring auld world if we all got along.

Well I have changed my opinion on certain things. Its not a game to see who can keep the same opinions throughout the thread :-P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I think we have all lost the focus in our lives to a point where we are taking something personally. I can't find my keys and I'm screaming at the universe to stop playing with me. The same happens online, we aren't logical or rational so it's easy to point out that 'this or that shouldn't affect you' but its a bit hypocritical because there isn't one of us who hasn't been bent out of shape by something ridiculous.

Very well put. Everyone has been upset over trivial things.

What's amusing is seeing someone get upset over something and then seeing them back down and claim that of course they weren't when it's clear from their behaviour that they are. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

After years of debating stuff online, I don't take anything personally, and don't really worry about others taking things personally; doesn't mean I don't view negatively, some peoples views or methods of argument, but it does mean I'm more apt to rigorously point of the flaws in what they're saying (even wondering about motives for some), without minding how they take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Nah not really, had plenty of arguments on here but tis just the internet, and it's not really an argument, its just me explaining why I'm right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

krudler wrote: »
    Nah not really, had plenty of arguments on here but tis just the internet, and it's not really an argument, its just me explaining why I'm right.

me too :D , but honestly like it has been said ill disagree on one thread and agree in others.

i take nothing in After hours seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Uriel. wrote: »
    hmmmmm.....

ha, That's the joke.

Though now people are wondering if red something was talkin about me,but in one word - yes and no, but mostly no. Though I'm as intrigued as everyone else to know who it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Nah, what happens on thread stays on thread. Bound to have a difference of opinion with even the soundest of posters from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

It's a bit like if you're dealing with the public in your working life. Emotions in certain situations may run high and it is hard to say to yourself "count to ten" when you're dealing with someone who has tunnel vision, they only see it one way...their way. There's very little room for manoeuvre and if someone locks horns with another, and a discussion or argument ensues, sometimes people won't allow their opinions to be swayed, even when they're faced with fact. And sometimes, these people may resort to a direction with responses that can be interpreted as a personal attack. Its just all down to how people construct their responses. We're only human...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

The only posts that annoy me are the "oh noes this thread again", this line is trotted out by people that spend a wee bit too much time on boards. If we weren't allowed to make subjects that may have been made before, it would be a desolate forum.

Backseat mods are a pet peeve too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Id definately agree with the opinion that a lot of people take it more personally than they'd admit but thats human nature after all. You only have to look at the many heated debates across boards to see that people do take it a bit personally.

Hell i take it a bit personally sometimes, not so much just over a difference of opinion but more so when other posters make snide remarks and veiled insults towards me or even other posters. Also posters who have an overall ****ty attitude i dont get on well with either. I'd go so far as to say there are some posters i dont like though only a tiny few.

Ive also had other posters get heated with me. One told me she hoped id never be able to have children because i disagreed that it was societies obligation to filter the internet for her kids rather than hers as a parent to monitor themselves. While it was a bit of a horrible thing to say to me and a massive overreaction it did make me laugh.

Then there was another guy who decided to start calling me a girl on the thread over and over as well as posting it on my user page because i disagreed with his views on abortion.

So from what ive seen on my few years on Boards is that people do take it personally often enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Hell i take it a bit personally sometimes, not so much just over a difference of opinion but more so when other posters make snide remarks and veiled insults towards me or even other posters. Also posters who have an overall ****ty attitude i dont get on well with either. I'd go so far as to say there are some posters i dont like though only a tiny few.
    Yea this kind of thing seems to be a whole method of argument for some, and it is pointing out this kind of stuff on-thread which is the closest to getting personal for me I think; not me taking it personally, but something others are likely to take personally when called out on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement