Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people take your posts personally or do you take theirs personally?

Options
  • 02-04-2013 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Some people seem to take threads and posts in a very personal way. I know there are issues which people feel very strongly about but I dont think theres a need to take things as personally as some posters do. Animal rights vs hunting, private vs state run schools, they're all contentious issues but I don't see the point in taking things personally. Surely at the end of the day they are just personal opinions.

Do you take other peoples posts personally or do you think people take yours to personally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ah p*** off will ya :p

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

in after hours NO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No because I don't know any of the people here and they don't know me.

A guy on another forum wanted to meet up for a fight, I think he took the whole difference of opinion a bit too personally though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

No because I don't know any of the people here and they don't know me.

A guy on another forum wanted to meet up for a fight, I think he took the whole difference of opinion a bit too personally though.

link...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

There's one boardsie that springs to mind (without naming or giving anything away), this person knows a little bit about the forum that they post in but they reckon that they're an expert. The forum itself has strict posting rules and is quite adequetly moderated :) But this person still goes around stalking all the new threads and reporting them and commenting on them that the OP has broken the rules etc and says it in such a patronising and belittling way that they might as well be calling the OP a pathetic imbecile :( And when this person is told to put up or shut up, they take it seriously personally. Even when a mod jumps in and tells them that they're wrong, more often than not the response is 'well I'm right so even if I get banned it'll be worth it' :confused: FFS grow up like!

so basically yes, I take EVERYTHING personally :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Not at all, it's an internet forum at the end of the day and you can't get yourself bogged down about things that happen on it, not that it can't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Everyone is entitled to an opinion
    Like if I say I don't like certain people I get branded a racist
    So what I don't like some people I can't be forced to like someone no one can
    And there's always someone that no matter what the thread title or what it's about will call someone a racist
    Cop on folks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

It all depends on the forum.

If someone was being a d1ck in long-term illness or something, and I was in there asking for advice, then yeah that would be upsetting.

But I think if you get upset in a place like AH, then you are taking the place far far too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone's got one and most of them are full of sh1t.
    Why in the name of God would you take what some anonymous punter on the internet says personally?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Keno 92 wrote: »
    link...

If you want to go searching thru the connecting singles forum from over 2 years ago then fire away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I don't get offended by anything on here. Tbh I don't really get offended in real life anyway. I'm a very mellow person.

Love all my boards.ies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

it's not something one can afford to do here. not take nor make, will only hurt yourself ultimately

and nothing is really personally intended from me unless I'm trying to put someone at ease, so at ease, random reader.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If you get offended seriously by somebody on the internet,i think it's time to give up on life which would benefit everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I think we have all lost the focus in our lives to a point where we are taking something personally. I can't find my keys and I'm screaming at the universe to stop playing with me. The same happens online, we aren't logical or rational so it's easy to point out that 'this or that shouldn't affect you' but its a bit hypocritical because there isn't one of us who hasn't been bent out of shape by something ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

I don't know, I don't think people take my posts personally. I never asked them either so can't say for certain. Anybody taking this post personally? If so, tough shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rarely lose my cool, but it has been known to happen, as Call me Jimmy points out, we all have personal hates or irrationalities.

I find it's pointless taking opinions too seriously, chances are the person you totally disagree with on one topic will totally agree with you on another, so it's pointless taking a viewpoint to heart.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Why would anybody take anything I say on here personally or take what somebody else says personally Even if I happen to be on the opposite side of a discussion to somebody it's not like we're actually in a potentially violent personal confrontation or anything. I might not agree with everyone on here all of the time but it's not like I have anything against anybody.

Except you. You can go fukk yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Rarely get offended or intentionally set out to offend in a post but it seems people can come into a thread and label people as racist or a bigot and dont contribute to a discussion at all ,
    Some Moderator's have a habit of doing it or saying it knowing if you react your banned but when its raised in feed back its not an insult or abusive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I doubt it. I don't know anything, and only post in after hours when i'm not altogether.. (When my brain comes up with stupid stuff, it thinks i can answer but can't.)

But if they ever did....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

orestes wrote: »
    Why would anybody take anything I say on here personally or take what somebody else says personally Even if I happen to be on the opposite side of a discussion to somebody it's not like we're actually in a potentially violent personal confrontation or anything. I might not agree with everyone on here all of the time but it's not like I have anything against anybody.

Except you. You can go fukk yourself.

Aw can I? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

All about context really, there's often been times when I'd utter some salty language and I'd want to tear a poster a new one over a post they've made, but then I have to remind myself that just like anything in life there are rules and regulations that must be adhered to; one is being civil, even to a poster who you think comes off as a complete knob-end, you still have to keep in mind the "attack the post, not the poster" rule, and then there's the often ignored by many around these parts "don't be a dick" rule.

As for how people perceive my posts, well, again it's all about the context and completely on what forum I'm posting in. I'm sure by that same token, I can come across as an awful knob-end to some people, and more people probably just have me pegged as a harmless gob****e. I prefer the latter, as certainly I'd never intentionally set out to offend anybody around these parts.

Something I DO find actually around these parts, meaning boards.ie as a discussion forums site, and meaning social networking and various other sites as "the internet (or the internet at large, as a whole)", is that often the attitude that flies fine on social networking sites and the 4chans and the world star hip hops, can often leak it's way onto boards.ie where there's a certain level of posting style that's acceptable, and a certain posting style that, well, isn't.

Some posters often fail to distinguish between the two, and that tends to do the perception of boards.ie no favors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Some smarmy, condecending bastard tried 'to teach me a leson' once on something I won't say, in the most condecending way possible saying I was 'too young and naive to understand the world' and I effectively told him off logically point by point.

Since then anything negative that gets written about me he will thank. It's actually the most petty thing I've ever witnessed for someone who doesn't even know me to do over the internet.

Although the initial comment annoyed me the latter doesn't bother me in the slightestl They've shown themselves to be a less than admirable person themselves, but I choose to take the high road and don't bother pointing it out just to get even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I aim to provoke people sometimes, but that is a problem that I have, and it is something I need to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

1ZRed wrote: »
    Some smarmy, condecending bastard tried 'to teach me a leson' once on something I won't say, in the most condecending way possible saying I was 'too young and naive to understand the world' and I effectively told him off logically point by point.

Since then anything negative that gets written about me he will thank. It's actually the most petty thing I've ever witnessed for someone who doesn't even know me to do over the internet.

Although the initial comment annoyed me the latter doesn't bother me in the slightestl They've shown themselves to be a less than admirable person themselves, but I choose to take the high road and don't bother pointing it out just to get even.

You're a prick.

*I don't even know you, I just want to see if he thanks this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yes, maybe a little too personal, I've many nemesis on boards, usually people that correct my post and makes me look stupid, I write their name on a posted note and stick it to the screen, then its the waiting game till I can get them back!

You know who yous are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Yes, maybe a little too personal, I've many nemesis on boards, usually people that correct my post and makes me look stupid, I write their name on a posted note and stick it to the screen, then its the waiting game till I can get them back!

You know who yous are.

hmmmmm.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone's got one and most of them are full of sh1t.
    Why in the name of God would you take what some anonymous punter on the internet says personally?

This is the most common and also most full of shit platitude people trot out.

If people don't take what "some anonymous punter" says personally, why then do people continue engage and argue with said "punter" when they've got polar opposite and deeply entrenched viewpoints?

This "ahh shure I don't take it personally" is a comforting lie that people like to spit up just so they don't have to admit that they do take it personally.
    Because apparently it is some manner of peculiarity that if someone takes a belief you have and shits all over that you'd react at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Not at all. If someone takes the piss out of me I can laugh at myself, and if someone disagrees with something I say that's fine.
    I'm impossible to offend! I also hope I've never offended anyone by taking the piss out of them!

I mostly post in light hearted threads and rarely in any heated discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Have to be honest, I sometimes take stuff personally. Stupid I know but I'm not the only one. I've gotten into many arguments on the net over stupid stuff and have often been too pig headed to let the other person have the last word. When they've been as pig headed, the argument has gone on forever. It's a sitting and waiting job to see them reply and they're obviously doing the same.

I love that cartoon about yer man refusing to go to bed with his wife because "someone is wrong on the internet". Sums me up sometimes.

Slowly starting to realise my stupidity. Nothing wrong with airing your point of view, having a debate, and then agreeing to disagree. I've never really seen anyone change their opinion much in those sorts of argument.

Thing is, I think a lot more people are like that than will admit it here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

The atheists take every single thing the Roman Catholic Church do extremely personally, it seems. Pisses me off that they can't just shut the f*ck up and let people get on with it.

Advertisement