Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor welcome for a tourist in Slane village

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Access wrote: »
    purehoor wrote: »

Christ lads... is there any nice shop owners in Slane at all?

Nope, just different levels of crapiness, at least Navan's not far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭purehoor

ah now most people in the village are friendly and welcoming. dont judge a whole village because of 2 ignoramuses. Navan isnt exactly oozing appeal and is definately not a place i'd be running to too often. I'v seen drug dealing on the street in broad daylight... fights on the street at lunch time and have been treated by far more ignorant people in shops too. And you say slane is crappy? the mind boggles
    bladespin wrote: »

Nope, just different levels of crapiness, at least Navan's not far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Christ lads... is there any nice shop owners in Slane at all?

for convenience stores, no! for everything else, yes!
    Most publicans, restaraunt owners you'll meet in the village are sound.
    I'm actually amazed such an arsehole could generate 3 pages on boards.ie?! :confused:

He,s famous now and probably doesnt even know it. would be great to see people going in just to experience the ignorance and make this a sticky ha
    kormak wrote: »

for convenience stores, no! for everything else, yes!
    Most publicans, restaraunt owners you'll meet in the village are sound.
    I'm actually amazed such an arsehole could generate 3 pages on boards.ie?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Navan isnt exactly oozing appeal and is definately not a place i'd be running to too often. I'v seen drug dealing on the street in broad daylight... fights on the street at lunch time and have been treated by far more ignorant people in shops too. And you say slane is crappy? the mind boggles

:rolleyes:

Not one person said slane is crappy.

And if you had read back through the thread, you would have seen it was two regular slane shoppers who were discussing the management/owners of two stores in the village and the downsides of same.

I also added a smiley face to my post above asking is there any nice shop owners in Slane at all... just so you know that im not trying the slag off your slane "posse".

Ive got to go now as its lunchtime here in Navan and i must have a fight with a stranger in the street while dealing drugs (Sssshhh... tell no one... they are only tic tacs) and then i must shout at stupid ignorant customers in a shop while serving them. Busy day ahead.

• Advertisement

When youve finished fighting and shooting up read the posts again regarding crappiness(bladespin). I was just saying my experiences of navan. Compare them to peoples experiences of Slane and i dont think they would be quite so knackery/ scumbaggish. The drug dealing was outside the court house and the fight was outside the bank at the taxi rank. And i wont list the shops where I'v been greeted with ignorance as it would take too much energy. The 2 good things that i have to say about Navan are there is a road to Slane and the boyne as it actually runs to get through Navan.

woah, woah! fellas!!
    Why don't I settle this with some local humour. My pops was recently telling my wife about an area between Slane and Navan called Wiggers Cross (look it up).
    She burst out laughing in his face and told him that's also a popular expression for white people in America who wanna be black!! He looked very confused by it..
    Ha! it never really dawned on me but it's funny when I think of someone like this hanging around Stackallen

wiggers1a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

woah, woah! fellas!!
    Why don't I settle this with some local humour. My pops was recently telling my wife about an area between Slane and Navan called Wiggers Cross (look it up).
    She burst out laughing in his face and told him that's also a popular expression for white people in America who wanna be black!! He looked very confused by it..
    Ha! it never really dawned on me but it's funny when I think of someone like this hanging around Stackallen

http://lolwigger.com/images/wiggers1a.jpg

Wiggered cross, always pronounced Wiggers cross :P

Some, er, kinda do dress like that there.... With wellies :pac:

dgt wrote: »
    Wiggered cross, always pronounced Wiggers cross :P

Some, er, kinda do dress like that there.... With wellies :pac:

I think it's widely known as Wiggers cross yo!! :cool:
    Even Google Maps has it so:

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Wiggers+cross+stackallen&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I was always told otherwise....! Still, funny nonetheless :pac:

• Advertisement

When youve finished fighting and shooting up read the posts again regarding crappiness(bladespin). I was just saying my experiences of navan. Compare them to peoples experiences of Slane and i dont think they would be quite so knackery/ scumbaggish. The drug dealing was outside the court house and the fight was outside the bank at the taxi rank. And i wont list the shops where I'v been greeted with ignorance as it would take too much energy. The 2 good things that i have to say about Navan are there is a road to Slane and the boyne as it actually runs to get through Navan.

Think you need to see the joke there, my family are from around Slane and I've dealt (lol) there for over thirty years, I have no problem with the village but the shopping options leave a little to be desired. BTW I know the Minaghs quite well and one, we even went on hols together a few years back, that said the shop is still not great.

Now, for Navan, I live there and have done all my life and I've never seen drug dealing on the street at any time, there can be fights after the pubs though it's a rare sight and not unlike anywhere else once there's alcohol involved, I have seen worse in Slane at the concerts but wouldn't hold that as an opinion on the village. Shop wise, there's lots to choose from, if you don't like one just go somewhere else, and there's plenty of ATMS around ;)

Always thought it was Wickers cross, just goes to show you learn something new everyday. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭maco12

ah ya see fights outside any pub.. and most villages have their idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Christ lads... is there any nice shop owners in Slane at all? :D

Yes! Go into the clothes shop near the butcher, two lovely ladies in there! Also the butcher is very friendly.

notsobusy wrote: »
    Yes! Go into the clothes shop near the butcher, two lovely ladies in there! Also the butcher is very friendly.

Old post office is lovely too, nice coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭maco12

and a good chipper in slane too............ whoops we are getting a few positives here!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

The chipper is gorgeous!! Their fish and chips are to die for.

Advertisement