Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor welcome for a tourist in Slane village

Options
  • 01-04-2013 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, I know I'm not from Meath but I've just come back to Clare from your fine county after spending a couple of days touring around, however I have one small moan about Slane village.

Between attractions I was running a bit low on cash so I thought of popping into Slane - I couldn't find an ATM, but just as I was about to leave I noticed that convenience store had a sign on it stating AIB banking here (or something to that effect) so I popped in hoping for an internal shop machine.

I quickly realised that the sign pertained to the closed post office counter (closed due to the b/h).

I asked at the counter where the shop keeper was talking to some other old fella and asked. I found him quite ubrupt with me and curt as he told me that Slane doesn't have cash point machines.

I then asked if there was any other way (for example getting cash back with a purchase) and the shop keeper just looked at me silence in an odd kind of a way. At the same time, before I could elaborate the other chap opened the door and one of them said bye.

I know I probably took it up the wrong way but it felt like 'feck off tourist'

I am unlikely to ever go back in that store but just sayin' its the little things that can affect tourism.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

OP, par for the course in Ireland.
    I did a test yesterday getting fuel in Edenderry. I believed that if I were to enquire in the filling station about when the new road to Edenderry from Enfield was going to be finished that I would be greeted with "I Don't know anything about that road" and that it would come from a foreign national working in the filling station. I was right on both counts. No sense of community anymore in the towns and villages in Ireland.
    Slane is not a tourist village BTW IMO and ATMs in small town will not exist when the branches close down. The post office will take over local banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

ads20101 wrote: »
    Hey folks, I know I'm not from Meath but I've just come back to Clare from your fine county after spending a couple of days touring around, however I have one small moan about Slane village.

Between attractions I was running a bit low on cash so I thought of popping into Slane - I couldn't find an ATM, but just as I was about to leave I noticed that convenience store had a sign on it stating AIB banking here (or something to that effect) so I popped in hoping for an internal shop machine.

I quickly realised that the sign pertained to the closed post office counter (closed due to the b/h).

I asked at the counter where the shop keeper was talking to some other old fella and asked. I found him quite ubrupt with me and curt as he told me that Slane doesn't have cash point machines.

I then asked if there was any other way (for example getting cash back with a purchase) and the shop keeper just looked at me silence in an odd kind of a way. At the same time, before I could elaborate the other chap opened the door and one of them said bye.

I am unlikely to ever go back in that store but just sayin' its the little things that can affect tourism.

Their are d1cks in every village and town in Ireland... you just happened to meet one in slane that day.

Dont let it put you off returning to Meath again... hope the rest of your trip was better! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

OP: There is an ATM in the TOP garage on the N2. It’s a bit ridiculous but it’s always been the case in Slane bar when one appeared in the Credit Union and then disappeared just as quick.
    The chap you were talking to, is a dick! You think he was abrupt; you’d want to see the fella before him! :-)
    Don't let that put you off the village...
    By the way Agent_47 “Slane is not a tourist village” are you mental?! It only has some of the richest tourist pickings in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

If the OP is on about the shop I'm thinking of, well I have no comment to make. Well, positive comment about said shop anyway....
    kormak wrote: »
    OP: There is an ATM in the TOP garage on the N2. It’s a bit ridiculous but it’s always been the case in Slane bar when one appeared in the Credit Union and then disappeared just as quick.
    The chap you were talking to, is a dick! You think he was abrupt; you’d want to see the fella before him! :-)
    Don't let that put you off the village...
    By the way Agent_47 “Slane is not a tourist village” are you mental?! It only has some of the richest tourist pickings in the country.

Eh? :confused:

Do you mean the Campus garage (which is Emo in the map provided)?

I find a lot of the time I'm in there the atm is out of order though. aybe I'm just unlucky :(

Slane is a touristy village. Brown tourist signs everywhere, plenty of B&B's around, proximity to other tourist attractions and historical sites....

dgt wrote: »
    If the OP is on about the shop I'm thinking of, well I have no comment to make. Well, positive comment about said shop anyway....

Eh? :confused:

Do you mean the Campus garage (which is Emo in the map provided)?

I find a lot of the time I'm in there the atm is out of order though. aybe I'm just unlucky :(

Slane is a touristy village. Brown tourist signs everywhere, plenty of B&B's around, proximity to other tourist attractions and historical sites....

It was TOP last time I looked... then again it seems to change QUITE a lot! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

There are people like that in every county and also great and helpful people in every county.

You should have asked him for 6 slices of ham and then told him you only had your laser card to pay for it with.....

dixiefly wrote: »
    There are people like that in every county and also great and helpful people in every county.

You should have asked him for 6 slices of ham and then told him you only had your laser card to pay for it with.....

Ha Ha! :D

Brilliant... im using that kinda tactic next time someone pisses me off in a shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Slane is slowly getting back on it's feet after years of the "Newgrange by-pass" draining the passing tourist trade out of it. Even a lot of the Paddywhackery tours go down the M1 these days. That said this "local shop for local people" bullsh*t belongs in a by-gone era. If it's any consolation, I live 10 miles away from there and that fella is still pretty rude whenever I go in. :rolleyes:
    I find the newer businesses are better clued in - great welcome in the Old Post Office, the Hotel & the new Bakery whenever I go in. I used to be a devotee of the older bakery until they expanded and I was treated very shoddily by the restaurant supervisor when I went in to eat one day. There's something still missing from the Village though, can't put my finger on it but it seemed a buzzier place when it still had a Bank & a central supermarket. Ah well, I guess we can't all live in the '70's :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Cash machine in the petrol station AFIK, that shop is like that for locals too, pretty rubbish service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

OP,

There are grumpy miserable eejits in every place. Meath people generally give the "look at the head on that fella and the price of turnips" look at anybody who is not related to them/from their parish. "That fella is thick as pigshíte' is one of the lines any tourist to Meath (pronounced Mead) is advised to memorise as an internal verbal defence mechanism when walking away from the local troglodytes with this attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Anyway, seeing as Slane is making a rare outing on the world wide web, is it possible yet to walk to Navan from it along the ramparts?

I remember years ago somebody was promising that the state was going to give the finance to make it possible. On my last venture down the Ramparts from Naaavan I could only get as far as Broadboyne Bridge. Any development yet?

Second, does the state own the massive mill at the Boyne in Slane today? It's oozing potential as a tourist hub for the entire area.

Are there any of the original Fleming family of Slane Castle still in the area today?

Seanchai wrote: »
    Anyway, seeing as Slane is making a rare outing on the world wide web...

Second, does the state own the massive mill at the Boyne in Slane today? It's oozing potential as a tourist hub for the entire area.

Are there any of the original Fleming family of Slane Castle still in the area today?

There are a few descendents of the Flemmings living in the village today
    The Mill is privately owned and is a hotel/guesthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Thanks for all of the positive feedback.

I know that there are people that understand the tourist trade and there are those (a minority) who feel that tourists are intruding and make it obvious.

To be honest a feel a tad daft now in hindsight. We went out to Meath as a mini family holiday and everything was great from newgrange to tayto park and this was the only fly in the ointment. It just so happened on the day that I was coming home on, so daft as I am I had time to think about it on my trip back west, and as it played on my mind it just wound me up. So I came in the door and stupidly went straight for my iPad.

If I just waited a day I would've reflected on it and would never have wrote such a stupid post.

The one thing I did realise is that I didn't give us enough time to see the sights we wanted to see so we will def be back.

Just one other note. As I said before I live in county Clare, another tourist county, and I genuinely feel that if someone posted on the Clare section in such a protencious manner I am almost certain that some of the feedback would've been a little negative (we are quite a protective bunch over here :) ). However you all replied in a positive way - not one bit of criticism towards myself.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks.

You were dead right to post - don't be so hard on yourself. It's no harm for people like that to be pulled up for their attitude. They're the very ones who'll whinge poor mouth when people go in to use the post office only and leave him looking out the window wondering why people don't want to shop there. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Yes indeed, we need to protect ourselves from dodgy businesses, that's what services like TripAdvisor are for. I'm just back from France, and you get a warm polite welcome in nearly every place you walk into, whether you are buying or not.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback.

I know that there are people that understand the tourist trade and there are those (a minority) who feel that tourists are intruding and make it obvious.

To be honest a feel a tad daft now in hindsight. We went out to Meath as a mini family holiday and everything was great from newgrange to tayto park and this was the only fly in the ointment. It just so happened on the day that I was coming home on, so daft as I am I had time to think about it on my trip back west, and as it played on my mind it just wound me up. So I came in the door and stupidly went straight for my iPad.

If I just waited a day I would've reflected on it and would never have wrote such a stupid post.

The one thing I did realise is that I didn't give us enough time to see the sights we wanted to see so we will def be back.

Just one other note. As I said before I live in county Clare, another tourist county, and I genuinely feel that if someone posted on the Clare section in such a protencious manner I am almost certain that some of the feedback would've been a little negative (we are quite a protective bunch over here :) ). However you all replied in a positive way - not one bit of criticism towards myself.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks.

Think nothing of it... i would have done the same... and you are dead right to do so also.

I actually posted a long time ago in the Clare section looking for info and things to do for a short family holiday and i can confirm that info was very slow to come from the people over there!

We are much nicer people over here in the Meath forums! :D

Our particular family had a bad experience on that clare holiday from a certain animal farm/petting zoo near the cliffs of moher and its, like you say, that one bad experience that drives you mad thinking about on the drive home even though the rest of the holiday was great.

I think a few of us here had also experienced the same experience you had in the same named shop, so there is no point in defending it at all.

But look, besides that hiccup, i hope your clan enjoyed Tayto Park, newgrange and the rest... next time ye are heading up this side of the country, give a shout to the meath forums here and we will tell you about some other hidden gems around the county to check out with the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭maco12

ill guarantee you, theyd welcome u with open arms when Bon Jovi KICKS OFF IN THE SUMMER... then u wont see recession...just depression at the cost of the booze etc..

Aw yeah the concert scalping drives me mad :mad::mad:

We used to be regular enough customers in the Chipper on the N2 and the Friday before the 2007 concert we went in for the usual nosebag to find that the menu had been covered over and there was a list of only about 15 things available with my usual Snack Box retailing at about €8 or something like that. :mad:

I think I've been back about twice since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭purehoor

would any of you give a plug to the person that is in direct competition for your livelihood? I doubt it to be honest. it is totally ridiculous that there is only one ATM in the village and it oinly ever gives out 50's which is a pain too.

purehoor wrote: »
    would any of you give a plug to the person that is in direct competition for your livelihood?

I think the attitude will do more damage to the livlihood than anything else, the garage has been there for years and both seem to be able to co-exist without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

The guy in that shop is rude to everyone. It's a shame because it has loads of potential, a friend of mine opened a shop there last year and it's dead.

I told the guy in the shop one day that there was no need to be rude. Needless to say I've been banned!

bladespin wrote: »
    I think the attitude will do more damage to the livlihood than anything else, the garage has been there for years and both seem to be able to co-exist without issue.

i agree with you completely. but i wouldnt say the garage would send anyone down to him either that was my point. I know most people have a problem with him so i wasnt standing up for him in anyway. the ODD time i get something there he wouldnt say much. There is 2 other women there who are a pleasure to be served by.

notsobusy wrote: »
    The guy in that shop is rude to everyone. It's a shame because it has loads of potential, a friend of mine opened a shop there last year and it's dead.

I told the guy in the shop one day that there was no need to be rude. Needless to say I've been banned!

Your not missing much by being banned as the garage has much larger variety of stock ha

i agree with you completely. but i wouldnt say the garage would send anyone down to him either that was my point. I know most people have a problem with him so i wasnt standing up for him in anyway. the ODD time i get something there he wouldnt say much. There is 2 other women there who are a pleasure to be served by.

I'd bet if you went to the garage and asked for the post office they'd tell you exactly where it is, OP was looking for an ATM, not too much to ask really.

I'd bet if you went to the garage and asked for the post office they'd tell you exactly where it is, OP was looking for an ATM, not too much to ask really.

wouldnt be too sure... the owner of the garage is much more ignorant. thank god he doesnt be behind the counter too often

wouldnt be too sure... the owner of the garage is much more ignorant. thank god he doesnt be behind the counter too often

I'm not saying anything about owners etc, merely that if you walked in and asked whoever was there they would have the good manners to give directions.

I'm not saying anything about owners etc, merely that if you walked in and asked whoever was there they would have the good manners to give directions.
    well again i think it would depend on who you asked. Theyre not all oozing friendliness either

well again i think it would depend on who you asked. Theyre not all oozing friendliness either

No - they're not, are they? I just don't understand how a Village on a main N Road can have such a negative view of passing trade in some establishments.:confused:

washiskin wrote: »

No - they're not, are they? I just don't understand how a Village on a main N Road can have such a negative view of passing trade in some establishments.:confused:
    its ridiculous at times. as i said there is 2 women in that shop at the cross who are a pleasure to deal with. Always full of chat and craic.

• Advertisement

Christ lads... is there any nice shop owners in Slane at all? :D

Advertisement