Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK politician would live on £53pw benefit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

1210m5g wrote: »
    No its not, i was on the dole for a couple of months last year (i was getting £56 a week) and it was only the fact that i had savings thats stopped me from getting in serious trouble. Again i paid for my gas, electric, phone and rent (rent allowance only covered just over half my rent) i had to use my savings to buy food and pay for travel ect. I don't know how anyone would choose a life like that.

I lived in the UK for 2.5 years had a job and a flat now while i was waiting to my tax and equivalent to our pps number to be sorted my job reduced my hours till I was all above board for an 8 week period I lived off £34 rent wise my landlord was aware of the situation as I paid a deposit and rent upfront he had no issues with me delaying some of the rent,
    Electricity £4 a week
    Food - around £20
    Left a tenner for socializing
    Thank god for JD wetherspoons

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    What was that phrase? Of yes: "Put the politicians on minimum wage and ssee how fast things change..."
    They'd probably go and get better jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

A cousin of mine fell on hard times and ended up only being able to afford a house in some sink estate in West Dublin. I've made the effort to visit him on occasion, and he tells me some choice stories about his neighbours. Literally generations of scroungers and layabouts who suckle off the generous nipples of the State. Handouts for everything. All the money spent on cable television, frozen pizzas, necking cans and smoking their brains out. Kids leaving school after the junior cert and walking about being a general menace to society. Hardshaws standing outside Boylesports gurning, spitting on the ground and touching their balls through their tracksuits.

A never-ending cycle of entitlement and despair. Far from helping these people, the social welfare trap has doomed them to a life unfulfilled. Literally Dole Zombies.

It's very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Sergeant wrote: »
    A cousin of mine fell on hard times and ended up only being able to afford a house in some sink estate in West Dublin. I've made the effort to visit him on occasion, and he tells me some choice stories about his neighbours. Literally generations of scroungers and layabouts who suckle off the generous nipples of the State. Handouts for everything. All the money spent on cable television, frozen pizzas, necking cans and smoking their brains out. Kids leaving school after the junior cert and walking about being a general menace to society. Hardshaws standing outside Boylesports gurning, spitting on the ground and touching their balls through their tracksuits.

A never-ending cycle of entitlement and despair. Far from helping these people, the social welfare trap has doomed them to a life unfulfilled. Literally Dole Zombies.

It's very sad.

"you won't solve a problem by throwing money at it" ................as the politicians say while awarding themselves another salary increase :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Ahhh and theres Enda Kenny on TV, spending all the taxpayers money on the horses.

Just like the dole people do :rolleyes:

Why is it ok for that cúnt???

• Advertisement

Hitchens wrote: »
    "you won't solve a problem by throwing money at it" ................as the politicians say while awarding themselves another salary increase :D

When did this administration award themselves a pay increase? Didn't hear about that. Pretty sure they cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Ahhh and theres Enda Kenny on TV, spending all the taxpayers money on the horses.

Just like the dole people do :rolleyes:

Why is it ok for that cúnt???
    Because he works hard and makes good money - enough to go out and spend it on the horses or any other damn thing he chooses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Phoebas wrote: »
    Because he works hard and makes good money - enough to go out and spend it on the horses or any other damn thing he chooses.

Hahahahaha thats funny.

I propose all politicians be provided with three square meals a day, and the princely sum of €2.75 to spend on luxuries. Unless they are appearing on Vincent Browne for a grilling then they must be in their communal beds by 9.30PM.

Every Friday afternoon we will dress them in boilersuits made of potato bags and release them onto the streets of Dublin where the plain people of Ireland will get their chance to heckle and abuse them. Politicians who are deemed to have 'gotten too big for their boots' will be beaten with a stick by a specially selected person. This person could be chosen from AH, Liveline, or the comments section of the journal.ie.

Any attempts to spend their own money, or looking to be enjoying themselves will be dealt with VERY harshly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Hahahahaha thats funny.

C'mon then Mr.Internet. What would you do for people on the dole? What plan, policies, failsafes, legislation, strategies, incentives, fraud detection, value for money, assurances etc would you implement if you were in power?

No off the cuff responses now, you need to back up your ideas and account for pro's and con's for each one and how the tax payer and dole recipient will benefit from your changes.

Sure, if he doesn't work hard as the leader of the country, Im sure you could easily fill his shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Any attempts to spend their own money,

Is that not our money they are spending?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I hope he backed Liberty Council !

50/1 winner of the Irish Grand National.

HondaSami wrote: »

Will I drive up to Ballyfermot and ask a lad inside in the bookies for my money back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

No, its their salary.

Lest you think every nurse, guard, teacher, and civil servant in the country doesn't have any money of their own and are just spending 'our' money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

A person on the dole spends their time scratching themselves, putting bets on the races and drinking cans of Karpackie.

3/10 on flame bait. Try harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    What was that phrase? Of yes: "Put the politicians on minimum wage and ssee how fast things change..."

Yeah, we tried that before.
    Didn't work out too well.

History, it's a thing and you should probably pay more attention to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Will I drive up to Ballyfermot and ask a lad inside in the bookies for my money back?

Were you not talking about politicians?
    No, its their salary.

Lest you think every nurse, guard, teacher, and civil servant in the country doesn't have any money of their own and are just spending 'our' money.

I was been sarcastic ya know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

A person on the dole spends their time scratching themselves, putting bets on the races and drinking cans of Karpackie.

christ you use to be such a level headed poster when you were yekahs now you just come across as a complete kunt..where did it go wrong for you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

christ you use to be such a level headed poster when you were yekahs now you just come across as a complete kunt..where did it go wrong for you?

I've still got a gooey level-headed interior inside this hard outer kunty shell.

Just trying to put forward some hard truths about the state of Irish society, and am getting a lot of bile and vitriol sent in my direction. Has soured my opinions a bit lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

I've still got a gooey level-headed interior inside this hard outer kunty shell.

Just trying to put forward some hard truths about the state of Irish society, and am getting a lot of bile and vitriol sent in my direction. Has soured my opinions a bit lately.

Maybe you'd care to share with us your prestigious occupation, does it involve a high horse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

You are a first class wanker!

What is a first class wanker as opposed to a lower class one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

galwayrush wrote: »
    What is a first class wanker as opposed to a lower class one?

Look in the mirror!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Look in the mirror!

Could you please get out of my mirror?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They'd probably go and get better jobs.

I have no problem with that...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Most people I know on the dole hate it and are searching really hard all the time for work.
    We can all survive on little money if we have to
    No we all can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Madam_X wrote: »
    Most people I know on the dole hate it and are searching really hard all the time for work.

No we all can't.

Improvisation

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeah, we tried that before.
    Didn't work out too well.

History, it's a thing and you should probably pay more attention to it.

We did...? Seems that paying them bundles isn;t workign either...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Because I'd rather politicians focussed on getting the economy back on track than engaging in cheap political stunts.

Also a minister generally works extremely hard, has a very difficult job and is under constant media scrutiny.

You are a first class wanker!

why was this given a red card and the first one not?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It makes a lot of sense. The minister for transport should have to take the train / bus and find a parking space when they do drive. Ministers for Health and Education should have to use the public health and education systems, ministers for finance should be subject to all the taxes and cuts they impose, etc etc etc.

The only way politicians will empathise with how their decisions affect ordinary people is if they themselves have to live like ordinary people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

IM0 wrote: »
    why was this given a red card and the first one not?

Probably because one was a joke and the other personal abuse... It's not particularly difficult to work out.

Advertisement