Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK politician would live on £53pw benefit

Options
  • 01-04-2013 2:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

The UK's Social Protection minister, Iain Duncan Smith, was challenged by a journalist if he could live (not survive or function) on the jobseekers allowance for under-25s.
    The rate is £56, but the journalist mistakenly asked about £53/€68.
    The minister said he would live on this if he had to.
    Iain Duncan Smith: I could live on £53 in benefits a week

Why don't journalists writers here pose a similar query to Joan Burton or any other minister? Why the reluctance to challenge policy-enforcers?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Because I'd rather politicians focussed on getting the economy back on track than engaging in cheap political stunts.

Also a minister generally works extremely hard, has a very difficult job and is under constant media scrutiny.

A person on the dole spends their time scratching themselves, putting bets on the races and drinking cans of Karpackie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

A person on the dole spends their time scratching themselves, putting bets on the races and drinking cans of Karpackie.

Is this your view of the people that are on the dole or do you think government ministers share this view?

Is this your view of the people that are on the dole or do you think government ministers share this view?

I suppose its not always Karpackie. Sometimes it can be Harp, Dutch Gold or Bavaria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Because I'd rather politicians focussed on getting the economy back on track than engaging in cheap political stunts.

Also a minister generally works extremely hard, has a very difficult job and is under constant media scrutiny.

You are a first class wanker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

snubbleste wrote: »

Why don't journalists writers here pose a similar query to Joan Burton or any other minister? Why the reluctance to challenge policy-enforcers?

What's the point in asking them it's not as if they are going to disagree or actually try do it.
    We can all survive on little money if we have too, it's not rocket science after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You'r talking absolute shite here but do go on....

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

snubbleste wrote: »

Didn't someone challenge one of our people to live in some area she'd been slagigng off? Ballymun or something? And she did it too.
    Anyone have the details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

You'r talking absolute shite here but do go on....

Not completely. Most of the people I know who are on the dole, do just what Yitzak posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

53pw is easy to live off for a single individual

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Not completely. Most of the people I know who are on the dole, do just what Yitzak posted.

As does everyone i know that has a job!!! Its called having fun. Whats your point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I suppose its not always Karpackie. Sometimes it can be Harp, Dutch Gold or Bavaria.

Don't be ridiculous. Nobody drinks Harp in the UK. Gotta be Stella.

You are a first class wanker!

I may have been a tad sarcastic in my post.

Obviously I don't think every single person on the dole spends their time sleeping in til 2pm and drinking cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Obviously I don't think every single person on the dole spends their time sleeping in til 2pm and drinking cans.

Don't forget watching Jeremy kyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Just the majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Don't be ridiculous. Nobody drinks Harp in the UK. Gotta be Stella.

Nah it's Linden Village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    As does everyone i know that has a job!!! Its called having fun. Whats your point.

You quoted my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

if IDS could manage on £56 (and he could ,tens of thousands do), he could consider moving a bit Westward and thrive on 185 euros.

Regards,Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You have been coming across as an awful dicktit lately. Something happen in your own life that you have to belittle others to make yourself feel better?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,154 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What was that phrase? Of yes: "Put the politicians on minimum wage and ssee how fast things change..."

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Yay a dole thread

• Advertisement

You have been coming across as an awful dicktit lately. Something happen in your own life that you have to belittle others to make yourself feel better?

Not quite sure what a dicktit is, but if its a compliment, then thank you.

Life is tip top at the moment. Have the week off work and heading to the Côte d'Azur with my partner for some r n r.

My comment was clearly a parody. You'd want to be crazy to think that every single person drawing social welfare was a bone idle layabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I could live pretty well on the Irish dole but I wouldn't be booking too many trips, anywhere even on buses.

£56 is a different kettle of fish. I can feed myself on possibly £30-40, I do cook. But then there's toiletries, clothing, bills, electricity and ( God forbid) the Internet or a phone. I assume that some has to go on rent, even if subsidised.

I can't see anybody living on this unless they are getting some stipends from family. Ireland is ok - the UK is unliveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

just married persons then? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Gatling wrote: »

Try it then, but in your own accomadation, not at home with mummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In fairness to Yitzhak Rabin's parody, there are 10s of thousands on the dole who do precisely that.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Gatling wrote: »

No its not, i was on the dole for a couple of months last year (i was getting £56 a week) and it was only the fact that i had savings thats stopped me from getting in serious trouble. Again i paid for my gas, electric, phone and rent (rent allowance only covered just over half my rent) i had to use my savings to buy food and pay for travel ect. I don't know how anyone would choose a life like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

In fairness to Yitzhak Rabin's parody, there are 10s of thousands on the dole who do precisely that.

Drink Karpachie? who knew?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 33,154 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Except he implied it was everyone.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

IDS gets £1581.02pw from the taxpayer as a salary
    Hopefully an enterprising television reality show producer will take him up on his offer and then he can get his job back under the jobbridge scheme wage equivalent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

if you have a 50 inch flatscreen, an iPad and a cleaner, you're not doing too bad! :cool:

Advertisement