Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish street names vs British street names

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

SolarFlash wrote: »
    They should send out and army of people to take a gps reading of every building in the county

Your address instead would be simply

7654GHYHYFDFH67997654G

Already done - you can get your address code from

http://www.myloc8ion.com/

several gps like garmin and phone apps support these postcodes.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    In Dublin all the roads in suburbian estates have similar names like Cedarwood Avenue, Cedarwood Park, Cedarwood Grove, Cedarwood Road and Cedarwood Green in Finglas. In inner city, the estates are much smaller and they tend to have different names like Joyce Road, Flemming Road, Walsh Road and Ferguson Road in an estate beside Griffith Park.

Not currently, Dublin has postal districts from Dublin 1 to 24. But they're introducing it soon. Loc8 is finished but An Post has to adopt it

Naming streets in estates after trees must be the most popular method in the country. There is a private estate in Dundalk called Bay Estate (after Dundalk Bay) which was originally numbered 1 to 600 or whatever. But the people didn't like that so it was all subdivided into streets named after trees, Cherrywood, Hazelwood Ave, Ashgrove etc. I think it caused major confusion for people doing deliveries for years afterwards.

Less imagination was used in the Muirhevnamor public estate with some of the streets being name Road 1, Road 2, Drive 1/2, Crescent 1/2 and Villas 1/2.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=556055

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

Cool fact-

Henry Moore, Earl of Drogheda

named not just one but lots of streets after him self
    Henry Street, Moore Street, Earl Street, there was even an Of Lane (now Off lane near O'Connell st), and Drogheda Street.

File:Henry_Moore,_3rd_Marquess_of_Drogheda_Vanity_Fair_30_March_1889.jpg[\img]

“Roll it back”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Pherekydes wrote: »
    It's not just the Brits that have post codes. Most of the civilized world has them.
    Ooooh, wrong side of the leaba or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Addressing and town planning haven't been a strong point here since the 1930s. We'd some really good examples under Irish rule for example, Drumcondra's development Griffith avenue & and loads of public housing integrated with well off middle class housing.

Schools, regularly places areas for shops, libraries, green spaces etc etc it had it all.

Then for some reason it went to hell after WW2!

Chaotic addressing and total lack of sensible planning !

We actually need geographic postcodes that identify a GPS location as our addressing is a total shambles !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,154 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sandwlch wrote: »
    So if the Brits do it one way, we should too ?

Separate countries since 1922 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Free_State

Actaully this is a trait in most countries in the western World. Britain is not unique in only having street names in rural areas.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Lookit what did we not fight two world wars for?so we could follow the Brits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

The estate I'm from (in Dublin) has around 350 houses and it's all just X Park. It's far far easier to find houses by just following the numbers as they progress than a system of road names that don't follow a pattern.

kneemos wrote: »

So we could pretend to not need anyone else's assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

ozmo wrote: »
    Cool fact-

Henry Moore, Earl of Drogheda

named not just one but lots of streets after him self
    Henry Street, Moore Street, Earl Street, there was even an Of Lane (now Off lane near O'Connell st), and Drogheda Street.

File:Henry_Moore,_3rd_Marquess_of_Drogheda_Vanity_Fair_30_March_1889.jpg[\img]

Narcisstic much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

kneemos wrote: »

Sigh.

We did fight in WWI

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sigh.

We did fight in WWI

200'000 of us apparently however one can be forgiven for making the mistake,it's not something we talked about until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

mathepac wrote: »
    Ooooh, wrong side of the leaba or what?

Anything to say about the content, rather than childish comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Anything to say about the content, rather than childish comments?

About the content? We're not talking about post codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

About the content? We're not talking about post codes.

Fair enough. And what of the "wrong side of the leaba" comment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

The estate I'm from (in Dublin) has around 350 houses and it's all just X Park. It's far far easier to find houses by just following the numbers as they progress than a system of road names that don't follow a pattern.

That's what I mean I'm the same, but I would argue it makes it more difficult to find a house as sometimes you may struggle to follow the number pattern.

Some of you see what I'm getting at here, some of you are taking the piss, this is NOT an Brit bashing thread at all, I'm part English myself, grew up here.

Just curious is all, whole estates and even areas get labelled the same name, usually something like "X Park" but go into any town/city in the UK, EVERY road has its own name.

Is it to do with planning? Was it incompetence (or maybe competence for once?) on planning in this country and use of space.

In fairness, there's a lot of places in this country that don't even have numbers.

Used to work in a call center answering directory enquires and dreaded rural residential searches. Especially when the customers started giving me directions in place of an address.

Advertisement