Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish street names vs British street names

Options
  • 01-04-2013 3:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

Has anyone noticed that in Britain EVERY road, street even alleyways have their own name, where as in Ireland a group of houses share the same address.

Anyone know the reasons why we didn't follow that way of naming?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

You on about house in the country? towns are the same here as they are in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

We don't have streets, we have roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭SolarFlash

They should send out and army of people to take a gps reading of every building in the county and that anymore would be your address so instead of this being an address

Thomas O'Brien
    66 Newport Road
    Innisfreetown
    Co Mayo

Your address instead would be simply

7654GHYHYFDFH67997654G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

No, I mean, say for example you have a housing estate in Ireland, a lot of the time the whole estate shares the same name eg. Killinarden. in Britain, every road in the estate would have a different name.

Mahogany wrote: »
    No, I mean, say for example you have a housing estate in Ireland, a lot of the time the whole estate shares the same name eg. Killinarden. in Britain, every road in the estate would have a different name.

It's not 100% the case here. In Listowel I know there's an estate called Dromin Green which is as you say, but in Santry there's the Northwood campus and the roads in there are named. Such as Northwood Road, Northwood Crescent, Northwood Avenue, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Would it not be Killinarden Road, Way, Avenue, Parade, Park etc?

I assume your not looking for them to all have different names like killinarden road is beside Mallahide avenue and Stepaside Park? If that is what you are talking about then the reason is because its stupid. Its better to have a name for a general area and then a street name? So if your address is 36 Cherrywood Ave, Lucan. You know to go to lucan then find cherrywood and then inside cherrywood there will be a cherrywood avenue. It just makes it easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

DylanII wrote: »
    Would it not be Killinarden Road, Way, Avenue, Parade, Park etc?

Nope, the whole things called Killinarden Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

im convinced the town planner in manchester is irish... i live on clifden road and last week saw a connemara road and dingle road

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

We prefer to have magical mystery tour looking for a house number rather than a convenient road name or horror of horrors a post code.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

The reality is that people will either refer to it as 'the estate' or more probably 'kipville'. Just one of those glitches in the matrix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kneemos wrote: »
    We prefer to have magical mystery tour looking for a house number rather than a convenient road name or horror of horrors a post code.

Yeah but if there is a post code we will have a post code lottery and this is a bad thing apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Does Ireland not use a post code system?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Has anyone noticed that in Britain EVERY road, street even alleyways have their own name, where as in Ireland a group of houses share the same address.

No. I've never noticed this.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

gallag wrote: »

not yet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Anyone get the impression that if we had named sub parts of our estates with street and alley names, and the British didn't we'd be hearing about the efficiency of their system, and the awkwardness of ours.

In any case we do use the British system in modern developments. Tyrellstown is a maze of different addresses and street names.

It's all moot in the era of GPS and Google maps but driving into an estate where the numbers are increasing in order and lanes, or side roads have signs saying 100-200 This Estate is probably easier than looking for 7 Moonview Avenue, half a mile from 7 Moonview Crescent, and nowhere near 7 Moonview Road in the same estate. Locals don't even know these names.

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Dublin sort of has one, but they are districts rather than per-street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

So if the Brits do it one way, we should too ?

Separate countries since 1922 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Free_State

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭seanm92

Sandwlch wrote: »
    So if the Brits do it one way, we should too ?

Separate countries since 1922 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Free_State

here we go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

I thought it was kippenarden? Right beside fetterjobcairn-munfield-fermot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I dunno about urban "planning" or what passes for it here, but in rural Ireland every field, hillock, bend in the road, gateway, cross-roads, junction has its own unique and characterful name.

My own extended family are proud keepers of a piece of the landscape referred to as Knockroe (An Cnoc Rua, the Red Hill) because the bracken / ferns go rust-coloured at certain times of the year. Knockroe is in the middle of a field called Mainsiter (Monastery) which has in opposing corners wells / springs called Monastery Well (Tobar na Mainistreach) and Powlawadra.

I thinks the Brits and town-dwellers miss out on a lot. Post-codes? No thanks, I prefer the Dog's Hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

mathepac wrote: »
    I thinks the Brits and town-dwellers miss out on a lot. Post-codes? No thanks, I prefer the Dog's Hole.

It's not just the Brits that have post codes. Most of the civilized world has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Its fine to have separate names if you can drive through a central road andhave all the streets to your left and right. Some estates have 2 places with almost identical names and some have a star shape with no way of knowing where to find a set of 10 houses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Sure post codes were just brought in to help the Black and Tans find your house. Or something.

goose2005 wrote: »
    Sure post codes were just brought in to help the Black and Tans find your house. Or something.

Post codes are not related to this thread.

So, assuming the OP is correct, the only question is whether estates with dozens of different street names are more efficient than estates with numbers. I don't think so. Sometimes stuff in the UK isn't better.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

orestes wrote: »
    We don't have streets, we have roads.

Dame st? Dorset st?
    Streets in city centre, roads when outside city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Post codes are not related to this thread.

So, assuming the OP is correct, the only question is whether estates with dozens of different street names are more efficient than estates with numbers. I don't think so. Sometimes stuff in the UK isn't better.

If your looking at a map it's much more efficient.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

It has to make using sat nav harder? I am used to puting a post code in only.

If your looking at a map it's much more efficient.

Is it? maybe. If you are driving around the estate, less so.

I think this isn't Irish vs English. It's old vs new housing estates. People want to have streets on their postal address so they don't seem to be in an estate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

In Dublin all the roads in suburbian estates have similar names like Cedarwood Avenue, Cedarwood Park, Cedarwood Grove, Cedarwood Road and Cedarwood Green in Finglas. In inner city, the estates are much smaller and they tend to have different names like Joyce Road, Flemming Road, Walsh Road and Ferguson Road in an estate beside Griffith Park.

Not currently, Dublin has postal districts from Dublin 1 to 24. But they're introducing it soon. Loc8 is finished but An Post has to adopt it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

awec wrote: »
    Dublin sort of has one, but they are districts rather than per-street.

The postal district system was in operation for the big cities pre-independence. We didn't follow on with post codes. Notice that the prefixes "D" and "C" are not used in the British postcode system.

Advertisement